• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not leaving home without it ever again

Steeler-gal

That's it. I'm done. Tonight is the last time I leave the house without my gun. Some trucker and a car just tried to play some freak game and boxed me in on the Virginia beltway. I was coming back from the Alexandria waterfront around 10pm. At first I thought something was wrong and they were trying to be good Samaritans. It became clear there was nothing wrong and they were just ******* with me. I was in the far left lane. I'd speed up and they'd speed up. I'd slow down and they'd slow down. I couldn't get away from them. The older man in the "Superman" truck kept smiling and waving. It was scary and creepy. It went on for 1-2 miles. I finally sped up to I'm not comfortable driving at and pulled away from them.

If they had successfully gotten me to pull over I'd have been alone (except for my dogs) with only my Kershaw pocket knife between me and them. Most of my pants don't have belt loops and I didn't feel like wearing my belly band tonight - it makes me hot. I'll take hot and sweaty over scared and alone any day.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

supranite90

I've had a similar incident except with some kids in a pick up a while back. They tried to run my girlfriend and me off the road multiple times until I slowed down enough to get their plates and call it in. I yelled at them that I did and they followed me a bit until I sped off on them and got ahead enough for me to pull into my destination. If they had followed me they wouldn't have been very happy if they found out what I had waiting for them. I'm just glad I never leave home without it.

ocholsteroc

That's it. I'm done. Tonight is the last time I leave the house without my gun. Some trucker and a car just tried to play some freak game and boxed me in on the Virginia beltway. I was coming back from the Alexandria waterfront around 10pm. At first I thought something was wrong and they were trying to be good Samaritans. It became clear there was nothing wrong and they were just ******* with me. I was in the far left lane. I'd speed up and they'd speed up. I'd slow down and they'd slow down. I couldn't get away from them. The older man in the "Superman" truck kept smiling and waving. It was scary and creepy. It went on for 1-2 miles. I finally sped up to I'm not comfortable driving at and pulled away from them.

If they had successfully gotten me to pull over I'd have been alone (except for my dogs) with only my Kershaw pocket knife between me and them. Most of my pants don't have belt loops and I didn't feel like wearing my belly band tonight - it makes me hot. I'll take hot and sweaty over scared and alone any day.

Why didn't you have your gun? I thought you where ex us marshal/LEO or something? where you going to some gun free zone?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sometimes it takes a hit on the head to get a point across.

Very glad that you are OK.

Depending on what sort of pants/shorts/skirt you are wearing and the weight of your carry gun of choice you may find it convenient to use holsters using various spring steel or plastic clips to hold them to the waistband. While most of them are designed for IWB carry I have used left-hand models to OC OWB on my right side. It's also why I purchased a "mouse gun" for those times when weight, size and convenience outweigh full-size carry.

stay safe.

Steeler-gal

Why didn't you have your gun? I thought you where ex us marshal/LEO or something? where you going to some gun free zone?

No I'm not "ex" anything. No I wasn't going to a GFZ either.

As I said in my post I didn't wear it because my outfit was not holster friendly (no belt) and I didn't feel like wearing my belly band cause it makes me hot - esp when it's already 97degrees.

========================
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA

Steeler-gal

It's also why I purchased a "mouse gun" for those times when weight, size and convenience outweigh full-size carry.

stay safe.
Mouse gun?

========================

badey

Mouse gun?

========================

Like and LCP, Keltec P3AT, etc... a little pocket gun. it is better than nothing.

PistolPackingMomma

My mouse gun is the Sig p238. I can't recommend it enough!!! It's accurate, small (but not small enough to hurt when you shoot) and comfortable. I had the Bersa Thunder CC and the Keltec P3AT, and the Sig outdoes them both in all three categories.

If I'm ever going somewhere and my outfit is not carry conducive, I opt for purse carry. It's my least favorite way, but it's with me, and that's what matters.

Regardless, Steeler-gal, I'm glad that you were able to extricate yourself from the situation unharmed!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Mouse gun?

========================

NAM mini derringer. I have two of them. I carry one in an empty chamber in my 629.:uhoh:

cptstoney

a group of kids did that to my wife one night they kept screaming and cat calling till i woke up and raised the passenger seat up............. they quickly peeled out on a side road.

i keep the gun in my glovebox the majority of the time because i can't carry on the clock and i visit alot of gun unfriendly stores on my way to and from work. it sucks when i have to park off school property and carry a heavy wheelchair to a school thou.

tcox4freedom

"Trucker" = Class 8 big truck (aka tractor/trailer) Is this what you mean by a "trucker" or do you mean a PUT & straight struck?

In you sig line you say your are an NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer. Ok, I have two questions.

One is--- Why don't you have other carry options available to you?

(As an "instructor" you should have a LOT of knowledge about the different CC options available so you can best prepare your students. NO?)

There are tons of other options for women out there. Bra holsters, thigh holsters, "Smartcarry" holsters, etc abound in the CC world.
(I agree; A belly-band is great to have; but, it's hot.)

Another question I have is:
How can a NRA certified instructor & RSO not know what a "mousegun" is?

(Shouldn't a "certified" NRA instructor and/or an RSO have a working knowledge of common terms & firearms used in the CC industry?)

Please understand; I don't mean to sound ugly at all!
I'm just curious as to your level of experience; and wonder if instructor/RSO training in VA is different than it is in SC?

(My sister lives in VA and I really want to help her find a CC class. But, I also want to find her the BEST instructor I can!)

I must say I'm glad you're OK.
I sure would love to have your eyesight!
I can't tell what anyone looks like while driving in their car at night unless I hit them with my lights.

-

Last edited:

Sheriff

I finally sped up to I'm not comfortable driving at and pulled away from them.

This was the correct thing to do, the speeding up part. But..... only go 15 to 20 miles per hour over the speed limit and hope you catch the eye of a cop. When the cop stops you, immediately ask if he saw the vehicles that just went by. Tell him they were harassing you, trying to run you off the road and scaring you to death. 99 times out of a hundred, he/she will get back in the cop car and chase them down.

Even better yet, pray that the suspects speed up and stay close to you. The cop will see what's going on. If he clocks all three vehicles (you included), the suspects will get a ticket and you will be set free most likely.

We had foolishness like this going on back in the mid to late 90s in the Route 29 Culpeper, Virginia area. The suspects were then killing the women for the sport of it. One of the most infamous cases was the Alisha Showalter Reynolds murder. The case still hasn't been solved.

Steeler-gal

"Trucker" = Class 8 big truck (aka tractor/trailer) Is this what you mean by a "trucker" or do you mean a PUT & straight struck?

If I meant a truck like a pick up truck I’d have said so. This was a tractor trailor, 18-wheeler, a big rig, an Ice Road Trucker who was not driving on an Ice Road. Sheesh…. :banghead:

In you sig line you say your are an NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer. Ok, I have two questions.

(As an "instructor" you should have a LOT of knowledge about the different CC options available so you can best prepare your students. NO?)

There are tons of other options for women out there. Bra holsters, thigh holsters, "Smartcarry" holsters, etc abound in the CC world.
I am fully aware there are other options. I own a bra holster and have a purse with a gun pocket. Show me in my OP where it says I didn’t know there were multiple ways to OC? I happen to own severel IWB and Paddle holsters. Do you want to know what happens when you put an IWB or paddle holster on pants that have a straight waist or elastic band waist and no belt? You’re smart so I’m sure I don’t have to answer that question. You can deduce the result on your own.

Since you’re so smart, please show me where in any of the instructor qualifications or the instructor curriculum does it state that an NRA instructor must have and own all options for OC and CC? Where does it show that I am required to replace every article of clothing in my wardrobe so that it is holster/carry compatible?

(Shouldn't a "certified" NRA instructor and/or an RSO have a working knowledge of common terms & firearms used in the CC industry?)
Mousegun is slang and not an official term. I had never heard it before. Nowhere does it say I need to know all slang terms used to refer to all types of guns.

I can't tell what anyone looks like while driving in their car at night unless I hit them with my lights.

-
The cab on his truck had an driver-side door that was mostly window. Never seen one like that before? I don’t care. I’ve seen them on the Beltway and the highways and rest stops. I could see all the way into his cab. Was it bright enough in there for me to identify the color of his clothes? No, but there was enough light for me to be able to see that he was in his 60s and had greying hair. If you’ve never seen one like this, may be you need to get out on the highway more.

I'm just curious as to your level of experience; and wonder if instructor/RSO training in VA is different than it is in SC?

(My sister lives in VA and I really want to help her find a CC class. But, I also want to find her the BEST instructor I can!)
Yes you did mean to be ugly and you succeeded. I am a great teacher who is human and makes mistakes and brave enough to admit to those mistakes.

ocholsteroc

Steeler-gal... really really glad you're ok!

Mr. Nap... know anything about these: http://bondarms.com/ ? i'm looking at getting a BUG.

IMO revolver best BUG, no magazine/worry about jam. Just keep it super clean. I spend hour+ cleaning my guns after shooting.

Steeler-gal

I recommend kangaroo carry with a small 380 slim line to fit under your armpit.

images

Mousegun is like the Beretta 21a 22lr 8 shot little gun.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

I must say I'm glad you're OK.
I sure would love to have your eyesight!

-

AND the word "Superman" was written on the side of his cab. I couldn't tell if that was his nickname or part of the name of the company he works for or owns.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
No I'm not "ex" anything. No I wasn't going to a GFZ either.

As I said in my post I didn't wear it because my outfit was not holster friendly (no belt) and I didn't feel like wearing my belly band cause it makes me hot - esp when it's already 97degrees.

Weren't you on a cruise on the Potomac? Then you were in DC (east of the mean high-tide mark on the Virginia side of the river). To be perfectly legal, you would have had to lock it in your car while you were on the cruise.

I am VERY happy to hear you ended up safe in the end. I know what those pulse-pounding situations can be like.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Since you’re so smart, please show me where in any of the instructor qualifications or the instructor curriculum does it state that an NRA instructor must have and own all options for OC and CC? Where does it show that I am required to replace every article of clothing in my wardrobe so that it is holster/carry compatible?

Fashion police tip #1

Women wear form fitting/tight fitting clothing.
Men wear baggy/lose fitting clothing.

I remember when my Mother wanted to conceal a Glock 19, she had to borrow one of my over shirts. lol

mk4

...<snippity-do-da>...
Yes you did mean to be ugly and you succeeded. I am a great teacher who is human and makes mistakes and brave enough to admit to those mistakes.

@tcox4freedom... schnit stir much? :mad: how's it feel to get so soundly thumped? need a paramedic?

@Steeler-gal... i'll repeat, glad things worked out for the best. thanks for being willing to teach through personal experience.

Last edited:

H82GO55

Good to hear this didn't end badly for you, I bet it was a little hair raising event. I went fishing with a good friend up to Newport News park and figured I didn't need to carry and almost had incident when we left to grab some food. We drove down to Smokey bones and had to squeeze in between two cars that were blocking traffic. Well one of them followed us into the parking lot and parked behind me when I pulled into a parking space. The passenger proceded to get out of the car as I was opening my door, then he got back in and they pulled away. Guess they saw my other two guns :cool: