• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Might You Need a Gun on Virginia Tech's Ultra-safe, Gun-free Campus?

VApatriot

VT Alert:

Gun shots reported- Coliseum Parking lot. Stay Inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.

Suspect described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack. On foot towards McComas. Call 911

UPDATE:

A police officer has been shot. A potential second victim is reported at the Cage lot. Stay indoors. Secure in place.

Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Leave it to the OCDO "shock troops" to be on top of a story before the MSM.

Anyone have the definition of irony?

VApatriot

Just saw someone post this over on Facebook and was looking for confirmation. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down!

I got my info straight from the VT Alert text and email. There are no other details at this time.

UPDATE:

A police officer has been shot. A potential second victim is reported at the Cage lot. Stay indoors. Secure in place.

Last edited:

TFred

Unbelievable

In the face of another campus murder spree, these folks STILL just don't get it.

From the USA Today coverage:

Update at 1:23 p.m. ET: Social media immediately lit up with posts about the report of shots fired on the Virginia Tech campus.

"VaTech is on lockdown," wrote one poster on Twitter. "Hoping we don't have repeat of the past. What part of no guns at school is apparently hard to get."

Well I'll tell you, you smart University student:

It's called Gun Control: "A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own [or in this case carry] a gun [on campus]." -- Oldnoob

TFred

protias

Very sad day. Will VT ever learn that GFZ don't work? I hope VA can pass a law to prohibit colleges from being able to ban firearms so everyone can protect themselves.

Baked on Grease

In the face of another campus murder spree, these folks STILL just don't get it.

From the USA Today coverage:

Well I'll tell you, you smart University student:

It's called Gun Control: "A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own [or in this case carry] a gun [on campus]." -- Oldnoob

TFred

Wonder what the nazis thought... "what part of no commies in Berlin is so hard to get?" >.<

From tge USA Today updates :
"police say the suspect is carrying a handgun or a "long gun"

So... Are there other types to choose from?

(paraphrased) "Police have said that this started as a traffic stop"

Here's to hoping this ends well...

Sent using tapatalk

hermannr

I feel very sorry for the vistims family, but now is the time for them to step up and sue VT for not properly protecting their loved one, because VT did not allow their loved one to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Repeater

Cop killed; students wonder why?

Two dead in Virginia Tech shootings
Virginia Tech said that a police officer was shot and killed Thursday and a possible second victim was reported at a parking lot near the campus, where 33 people died in 2007 in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

A campus-wide alert told students and faculty to stay inside and lock doors. Authorities were seeking a suspect. University and law enforcement officials declined any comment on the officer's condition.

A law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case, said initial reports indicated that the shooting occurred following a traffic stop.

"It's crazy that someone would go and do something like that with all the stuff that happened in 2007," said Corey Smith, a 19-year-old sophomore from Mechanicsville, Va., who was headed to a dining hall near the site of one of the shootings, but stayed inside after seeing the alerts from the school. "It's just weird to think about why someone would do something like this when the school's had so many problems."

The shooting came the same day as Virginia Tech, which has an enrollment of about 30,000, was appealing a $55,000 fine by the U.S. Education Department in connection with the university's response to the 2007 rampage, when a student gunman killed 32 students and faculty and then shot himself.

Remember, an expert on campus safety recently declared:
The notion that anyone on a college campus in Virginia needs a loaded firearm is patently false, because campuses are one of the safest places in Virginia and across the nation.
--- Lori Haas

Full of irony, the clueless police chief defends his nno-actions in 2007:

Virginia Tech police chief defends university’s handling of 2007 shooting rampage on campus