• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycot Denny's? No guns, not evenfor Police officers in their place of business.

alphamale

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...fuses-to-serve-gun-toting-police-officer.html

An Illinois police chief has banned his officers from a Belleville Denny’s Restaurant after a manager told five on-duty detectives they had to leave because one of them had a firearm....

“The Belleville Police Department is very disheartened by the lack of respect shown to on-duty sworn police officers, Capt. Don Sax said in a statement to Fox News. “Until further notice all on duty Belleville Police officers are banned from Denny’s Restaurant unless responding to an official call for service.”

The incident occurred on New Year’s Day when five detectives were eating at the restaurant. A manager approached their table and told one of the detectives that she had to take her weapon out to her car or leave the restaurant.

The detectives initially thought it was a joke, Sax said, noting that all of the officers had displayed their badges and several police radios were on the table.

“(The manager) stated that he had a complaint from another customer about the weapon and she had to take the weapon outside or leave,” he said.

The manager told the detectives that Denny’s only allows officers in uniform to carry weapons. The detectives said that wasn’t going to happen so they got up to leave.

continued on link provided at the top.

This is the Liberal mind in action, this is what we are fighting, a brain dead mentality that can not comprehend common sense, and RIGHTS provided by the Constitution. They have a hatred of your rights so deep rooted they can not be reasoned with. This is what we face every day and I am glad the Police got a taste of it so they know how we are treated. I am with the Police on the Boycott, and Denny's should demand that manager be fired. Until then I will not eat at Denny's and this in my opinion is a good start to fight back since now even the Police feel the hated, we have to deal with daily. Maybe finally some Police officers will understand what all OC'ers and even CC'ers are about, it is the preservation of rights...

So I guess open carry is not okay at the local Denny's?

Last edited:

budlight

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...fuses-to-serve-gun-toting-police-officer.html

An Illinois police chief has banned his officers from a Belleville Denny’s Restaurant after a manager told five on-duty detectives they had to leave because one of them had a firearm....

“The Belleville Police Department is very disheartened by the lack of respect shown to on-duty sworn police officers, Capt. Don Sax said in a statement to Fox News. “Until further notice all on duty Belleville Police officers are banned from Denny’s Restaurant unless responding to an official call for service.”

The incident occurred on New Year’s Day when five detectives were eating at the restaurant. A manager approached their table and told one of the detectives that she had to take her weapon out to her car or leave the restaurant.

The detectives initially thought it was a joke, Sax said, noting that all of the officers had displayed their badges and several police radios were on the table.

“(The manager) stated that he had a complaint from another customer about the weapon and she had to take the weapon outside or leave,” he said.

The manager told the detectives that Denny’s only allows officers in uniform to carry weapons. The detectives said that wasn’t going to happen so they got up to leave.

continued on link provided at the top.

This is the Liberal mind in action, this is what we are fighting, a brain dead mentality that can not comprehend common sense, and RIGHTS provided by the Constitution. They have a hatred of your rights so deep rooted they can not be reasoned with. This is what we face every day and I am glad the Police got a taste of it so they know how we are treated. I am with the Police on the Boycott, and Denny's should demand that manager be fired. Until then I will not eat at Denny's and this in my opinion is a good start to fight back since now even the Police feel the hated, we have to deal with daily. Maybe finally some Police officers will understand what all OC'ers and even CC'ers are about, it is the preservation of rights...

So I guess open carry is not okay at the local Denny's?

Corporate should fire the manager on the spot for making an A$$anhine decision like this. This is a perfect example of a person with NO COMMON SENSE.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Corporate should fire the manager on the spot for making an A$$anhine decision like this. This is a perfect example of a person with NO COMMON SENSE.

There is some clarification in another news story. The manager thought only uniformed LEOs were allowed by policy.

The juicier part of the story is that the police captain retaliated by banning all his officers from eating there. Not just uniformed cops, but all of them. He didn't let individual cops decide whether they wanted to eat there--he banned all of them from eating there. And, pitched a fit about how Denny's would let register sex offenders and pedophiles eat there, but not cops.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
C'mon. It's not like the first time this has happened.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/04/police-officer-asked-leave-portland-coffee-shop/

Cops have been known to force law-abiding firearms carriers out of restaurants against the manager's wishes, even here in Michigan. Now they get all butt-hurt because it happened to them?

Excuse me while I try to find some sympathy.

Hey! That's right. I forgot about that. That's kinda how the Tony's Incident went down back in early 2007. The cops got a call from a patron (who hung around and finished his meal one table away from the OCers before calling the cops.) It was the cops who caused the big scene and then talked the owner into ejecting the OCers.

Sorcice

Don't boycott Denny's. they all follow state law. Frankly the Leo's got the same treatment many of us got and didn't like it. I open carry in Denny's all the time without issue but then I'm in WI.

Tucker6900

butt-hurt

Still LOL'ing!!

Wait?!?!? They dont like the taste of their own medicine? Hmm......

And to add....

A law abiding citizen in this country has better odds at being killed by a police officer than a terrorist, lightning, hypothermia, heat stroke, plane crash, car crash, and a plethora of other stupid ways to die.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

You probably don't eat in Waffle(Barffle) House then...

MI does not have waffle house, unconfirmed rumor is that michigan has laws against "open kitchens" like waffle houses are setup to be, where you can readily see everything being cooked, separated only by the counter.

me personally, i like waffle house usually, theres just a few locations that have shoddy service, one just outside of harlan Ky. has the best. all of them closely surrounding D.C. suck
(sorry i went on about waffle house, im going to one this weekend and its been awhile...getting anxious)

on topic, i read that a second manager confirmed that the leo were thrown out in error(which has happened to several of us in the past including me and theQ at a taco bell) and that the policy was to follow state law on firearms and welcome all law enforcement officers carrying.

the police chief should not ban officers from patronizing establishments, being a so called free country even on duty it should be a personal decision rather than department mandate

Last edited:

Superlite27

Don't boycott Denny's. they all follow state law. Frankly the Leo's got the same treatment many of us got and didn't like it. I open carry in Denny's all the time without issue but then I'm in WI.

^^^This

I OC in Denny's here almost every weekend. They follow state law, but they also allow manager's discretion. (A manager can choose to put up a sign, and corporate will back him regardless of a state's OC legality.) However, it isn't corporate policy to refuse carry.

The manager at the Denny's I regularly patronize has no problem with OC. Niether do the Sheriff's deputies that often frequent the place.

As far as their food, it's merely mediocre. Unlike Waffle House (correctly pronouncing the "waf" as in "calf".......don't ask, just do it.) which sux.

At least Denny's updates their menu periodically and tries different items. (like the BACON ICE CREAM SUNDAE...which sucked. But hey, at least they tried it.)

SFCRetired

Why should any LEO be allowed to carry his/her firearm into any establishment where law-abiding citizens are prohibited from carrying their firearms? They are not some kind of "special snowflake".

@griffin: Since you are looking for "sympathy" for the poor LEOs: It is in the dictionary between the vulgarism for "excrement" and "syphilis".

On Waffle House: It is my understanding, from events that have happened in my area, that Waffle House is generally posted "No Weapons". One of our members here in Alabama was refused service and asked to leave on that basis. The sign is not usually on the door, but is located where you really have to look to find it.

Ezerharden

I have carried at the Denny's in Monroe, MI and Toledo, OH with no issues. I think boycotting an entire franchise because of the idiocy of one manager is a bit over the top. Now if the whole franchise went this route then by all means.

Evil Creamsicle

If this was MI, I'd say reach out to them, try and get them on our 'team' so to speak... though I don't think there's anything we can do with Illinois.

griffin

^^^This
They follow state law, but they also allow manager's discretion. (A manager can choose to put up a sign, and corporate will back him regardless of a state's OC legality.)

Too bad. They could support the lawful carry of firearms in all restaurants, period, just like Steak-N-Shake does. They do not allow their managers discretion to discriminate against firearms carriers, and if you are ever mistreated there the corporate VP will have a personal one-on-one conversation with the manager so that it never happens again.