• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"gun permit" = RAS/PC?

self preservation

I found myself talking about an interesting topic last week. The claim was made that if you are a gun license holder but travel to a state that doesn't recognize your permit, if traffic stopped, the officer can search your vehicle based on the fact that you are a license/permit holder and nothing more. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I found myself talking about an interesting topic last week. The claim was made that if you are a gun license holder but travel to a state that doesn't recognize your permit, if traffic stopped, the officer can search your vehicle based on the fact that you are a license/permit holder and nothing more. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Good question....

In Ohio Conceal carry license data in maintained in the "Law enforcement automated data system (LEADS)".

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501:2-10
Chapter 4501:2-10 Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS)
(W) "Law enforcement automated data system (LEADS)" means the statewide computerized network which provides computerized data and communications for criminal justice agencies within the state of Ohio. LEADS is administered by the Ohio state highway patrol superintendent. LEADS does not include data and files separately collected and maintained by intrastate regional systems or other individual user systems.

Other states do not have access to LEADS.

I don't know if Ohio enters this info into other databases, but I would bet they do. Review the above link and you will see all the other systems out there.

There is no such thing as privacy.

sudden valley gunner

Where is the evidence you are carrying now at that moment.

Just like a cop seeing you have a weapon concealed doesn't automatically create PC, I'd say simply having a permit doesn't either.

EMNofSeattle

Enjoying qualified immunity, the cop can violate your rights in any way it wants, at any time it wishes. ALL the victim can do is assert his Fourth and Fifth Amendment Rights.

Orally identify yourself. "I consent to no search. I will not resist. I will not speak but on advise of counsel."

Read FourthAmendment.com by John Wesley Hall, Esq.

There is no way a cop can know that anyone holds a Wisconsin Concealed Weapon License

Sorry that is not true, please cite the law or court ruling stating this.

EMNofSeattle

I've been stopped before by authorities in Oregon, in that case I heard the officer's dispatcher telling the officer I had a Wash. CPL over his radio.

he made no big deal about it. didn't say anything involving weapons.

I'm sure an officer could try that claim, maybe one has, but I've seen no court rulings to this effect myself.

I mean if you have a driver's license can a policeman demand you open your garage so he can do an inspection of your car? that's about the same logic. it only confers an extra privilage, it doesn't impose a requirement to be armed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The law in general prohibits rather than permits. You should know that. It was very clever how you ignored the prefatory clause.

In respect to agencies of the state, they can only do what the legislature allows them to do. They rarely state that an agency cannot do something but state what they can do...so if they do something that the legislature did not authorize them to do, then this would be an illegal act.

Fallschirjmäger

... There is no way a cop can know that anyone holds a Wisconsin Concealed Weapon License...
With few qualifications, I'll say the same of the Georgia Weapons License.
1) It's a state license but issued by the individual county, specifically the Probate Court
2) It's a crime to establish or maintain a centralized database of GWL's (IOW no in-state or out-of-state agency can make a computer query.)
3) With 159 counties, it might be a bit expensive/arduous to call each clerk of court

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I have seen no case law on this point.

For sure, Maryland state police were discovered focusing on cars with VA license plates. Maryland does not recognize VA permits, but has plenty of VA travelers. This was maybe six years ago. Haven't heard anything about it since then.

Separately, very recently I saw a court decision. I do not recall the legal point. What stuck in my mind was the indication that motorists from a medical-marijuana state were being singled out for traffic stops in an adjoining state without medical marijuana laws.

Can the cop of a state that does not recognize your permit search your car when he sees on the license check return that you have a CCW permit? You gotta think through all the little intricate complexities. What is to stop him? Little. Without case law declaring such a search a violation of your 4th Amendment rights (search and seizure), you cannot sue him because in order to pierce his qualified immunity, you have to prove he violated an established right that a reasonable officer should have known about. Meaning, there has to be case law directly on point that says such a search violates the 4th Amendment (at the federal level, anyway).

Thus, I suspect the door is open. Maybe not wide open, but plenty. I suspect a cop could do it and get away with it. When I say "get away with it", I mean not be reversed by a judge later.

It also occurs to me that courts almost always side with police on questions involving officer safety. If the officer who performs such a search manages to argue "officer safety" without too much absurdity (contradictions in the facts of the case), I would bet the court would side with the cop.

The safest bet is to carry nothing illegal into such a state. It won't be the gun you left at home that gets you arrested. It will be the prescription pill that fell down between the seats. And, based on my lay analysis, I think there is a reasonable chance a court will side with cop in saying the search was legal.

Will you spend five years in prison? No. Will spend several thousand dollars in legal fees before the charges are dropped? Maybe.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Precedent: St. John v. Alamogordo Police Order

St. John's Claim for Unreasonable Search
If, during the course of a valid investigatory detention, an officer has an articulable and
reasonable suspicion that a suspect is armed and dangerous, the officer may conduct a limited
protective search. U.S. v. Davis, 94 F.3d 1465, 1468 (10th Cir. 1996). Such a search must be
"reasonably related in scope to the circumstances which justified the interference in the first
place," Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 20 (1968), and should be limited to ensuring that the suspect is
unarmed. King, 990 F.2d at 1558 (citing Sibron v. New York, 392 U.S. 40 (1968)).
As discussed above, Defendants' detention of Mr. St. John was not a "valid investigatory
detention." Defendants had no reason to suspect that Mr. St. John was involved in, or was about
to become involved in, any criminal activity. Nor did they have any reason to believe that Mr. St.
John posed a safety threat. Accordingly, Defendants' search of Mr. St. John was invalid.
Case 6:08-cv-00994-BB-LAM Document 48 Filed 09/08/2009 Page 10 of 16
Additionally, Defendants lacked any reasonable suspicion for believing that Mr. St. John
was armed and dangerous, as required by Tenth Circuit jurisprudence. See Davis, 94 F.3d at
1468. Defendants ask the Court to ignore the conjunctive phrasing of the rule and find, in
essence, that anyone who is armed is, by virtue of that fact, dangerous. In light of the extensive,
controlling and compelling jurisprudence to the contrary, the Court declines to do so.

OC for ME

You are in violation of their anti-liberty gun laws...thus a felony (in some states)/misdemeanor (in other states) is in progress...what do you think Deputy Barney Fife should do at this juncture.

solus

You are in violation of their anti-liberty gun laws...thus a felony (in some states)/misdemeanor (in other states) is in progress...what do you think Deputy Barney Fife should do at this juncture.

get diverted to JFY and get stuck on a weather layover w/a firearm in your luggage and enjoy the nice conversation with the LEs when you attempt to get back on...

or drive thru NJ and enjoy that experience if stopped...

well documented on these threads...

ipse

Brian D.

In Ohio Conceal carry license data in maintained in the "Law enforcement automated data system (LEADS)".

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501:2-10
Chapter 4501:2-10 Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS)
(W) "Law enforcement automated data system (LEADS)" means the statewide computerized network which provides computerized data and communications for criminal justice agencies within the state of Ohio. LEADS is administered by the Ohio state highway patrol superintendent. LEADS does not include data and files separately collected and maintained by intrastate regional systems or other individual user systems.

Other states do not have access to LEADS.

I don't know if Ohio enters this info into other databases, but I would bet they do. Review the above link and you will see all the other systems out there.

There is no such thing as privacy.

Through the last 11 years we have had reports on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forum from Buckeye residents with an Ohio CHL being stopped by LE in other states. At times those officers knew about the license somehow. And especially so when these folks crossed into Canada; Customs on that side admitted to having the info on their computer screens. So yes, I think the LEADS data is shared with other agencies, even with at least one other nation.

These stories have come from too many posters there to ignore out of hand.

Freedom1Man

If you have a CPL you must be a drug dealer as there is no other way you could afford a gun.

So just like having money, the police will just sue your gun and lock it up and then sell it for profit later.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
I claim my right under the Rule of Five! ... it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Otherwise, meet me on the field of honor, my search engine versus your limp 'sword'!

Being artificial creatures of statute, such entities have neither an inherent nor a common-law right to sue. Rather, the right to sue, if it exists at all, must be derived from the relevant enabling legislation or some other concrete statutory predicate"

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...+of+statute"+"state+agency"&hl=en&as_sdt=8006

here's a good one ... but one could also search this basic legal principle on google scholar if they wish...thousands of examples ... I found this one funny ... NYers fighting among themselves.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't see a citation to a statute there.

What statue would you like to see? Because I doubt you/anyone will find a statue...agencies are creatures of the legislature..they only have power to do what the legislature authorizes them to do.

It sounds like you are looking for laws that do not/will not exist....like a law prohibiting the DMV from enforcing capitol murder crimes. You won't find one I think in any state.

The ball is in your court...show proof that an agency can do something that the legislature did not authorize them to do.

Search "creature of statue" or "creatures of statue" .... you'll find thousands of examples .. including even ones outside of state agencies but of any agency created by a statue..like corporations, etc.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
What statue would you like to see? Because I doubt you/anyone will find a statue...agencies are creatures of the legislature..they only have power to do what the legislature authorizes them to do.

It sounds like you are looking for laws that do not/will not exist....like a law prohibiting the DMV from enforcing capitol murder crimes. You won't find one I think in any state.

The ball is in your court...show proof that an agency can do something that the legislature did not authorize them to do.

Search "creature of statue" or "creatures of statue" .... you'll find thousands of examples .. including even ones outside of state agencies but of any agency created by a statue..like corporations, etc.

Have trouble finding a statue? Come to Washington, DC -- we have LOTS of statues here. I took your advice and searched on "creatures of statue" and I got hits for gargoyles ... do they count? I'm have a problem finding where any statue has created an agency...

Last edited: