• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.44-40 rifle talk

thx997303

The point I was illustrating, is that saying a straight walled case is useless at 500 yards is wrong.

The fact is, creedmore matches are shot at 1000 yards with straight walled black powder cartridges. The target is 36" and the x ring is 20'' These matches are shot with iron sights.

These are not "statistical outliers" as these people do these matches regularly.

The limiting factor with these straight walled cases is the shooter, not the cartridge.

simmonsjoe

Again---

The point I was illustrating, is that saying a straight walled case is useless at 500 yards is wrong.

The fact is, creedmore matches are shot at 1000 yards with straight walled black powder cartridges. The target is 36" and the x ring is 20'' These matches are shot with iron sights.

These are not "statistical outliers" as these people do these matches regularly.

The limiting factor with these straight walled cases is the shooter, not the cartridge.
ABSOLuteLY USELESs FoR [highlight]ANYthIng but BraGGING RIGHtS[/highlight]

Which I know is many people's cup of tea. Sure it is neat, fun, and historical. You really need to understand that just because it is cool doesn't make it practical. If you like doing that stuff fine, just be honest its the cool factor and don't try and place it in the same category as modern ballistics.

You realize when you go fanboy on something, and ignore the reality of it, your actually insulting it. If your unwilling to accept something's limitations, and unwilling to accept the relativity of it's abilities, you don't actually care for it. You care about the idea of it.

If the OP wants a lever-gun with 500yard capability, he will be well served with one of the new Marlin cartridges.

Last edited:

thx997303

It's useless arguing with someone so set.

I am no "fanboy" of straight walled cartridges, I do have a few.

Hitting a 20" target at 1000 yards with as much or more remaining velocity as a 45 acp at the muzzle is useless?

I'm not saying they are better than anything, merely that they are capable of these ranges.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Ugh!

It's useless arguing with someone so set.

I am no "fanboy" of straight walled cartridges, I do have a few.

Hitting a 20" target at 1000 yards with as much or more remaining velocity as a 45 acp at the muzzle is useless?

I'm not saying they are better than anything, merely that they are capable of these ranges.
w/e I'm done with you. I've given enough info for the OP to make an informed decision on range capabilities. I don't need to convince you.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
About where this thread belongs:

Since it is NOT about long gun carry but IS about guns, I am happy to have it in either the Social Lounge or General Discussion.

John

thx997303

w/e I'm done with you. I've given enough info for the OP to make an informed decision on range capabilities. I don't need to convince you.

You have given no information.

You have merely made an inaccurate statement, and then just continued to spew your opinion.

With most cartridges, the limiting factor is the shooter, not the gun or cartridge.

I'm also done with this discussion.

altajava

I too am interested in a lever gun that take handgun rounds. I have two Marlins now, .30-.30 & .45-70. I am not overly thrilled with the .45 colt but my next lever gun will definitely be a hand gun round, just not sure witch one. The main target is paper but if something with a little more mass needs shootin at, I don't want a cartridge that can't handle it. Open to suggestions.

thx997303

I too am interested in a lever gun that take handgun rounds. I have two Marlins now, .30-.30 & .45-70. I am not overly thrilled with the .45 colt but my next lever gun will definitely be a hand gun round, just not sure witch one. The main target is paper but if something with a little more mass needs shootin at, I don't want a cartridge that can't handle it. Open to suggestions.

There really is no need for the 45 colt when you have a 45-70. Especially if you reload.

If you aren't reloading I would suggest a marlin in .357 magnum. Those guns can feed/fire both 357 mag and 38 spcl so they will get enough velocity and bullet weight that you could take deer within about 100 yards or so with the 357 mag, and punch paper with cheap 38 spcl.

The 44 mag leverguns unfortunately tend to have a poor rate of twist for most 44 mag rounds, and so they don't tend to be all that accurate.

I have only fired the 454 casull in a revolver, so I really don't know much about it. Though like the 357 mag, you can use both 454 casull in the levergun as well as 45 colt. But having a 45-70 already really makes those two unecessary. (<can't spell that word)

And to anybody who might care, I spent the weekend shooting in wyoming with a friend of mine.

Using my 45-70 with a 350 gr cast lead bullet moving at a chronographed 1278 fps, I was able to repeatedly and accurately hit a 2'x2' steel gong at 800 yards offhand. The bullets hit with authority. It was much easier hitting the gong with my friend's scoped 300 WSM with a 36? power scope. The mirage makes things fun at those ranges.

I also was shooting prairie dogs with the 45-70. Average range on those 20 oz coke bottle sized targets was 125 yards. Iron sights.

Fun weekend.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I also was shooting prairie dogs with the 45-70. Average range on those 20 oz coke bottle sized targets was 125 yards. Iron sights.

Fun weekend.

I was gonna declare "animal cruelty" for using light artillery on prairie dogs. But, then I realized they were probably zombie prairie dogs, and you can never use too much on those!

:D

thx997303

:) Funny thing actually. I got out of the truck with my 45-70 and shot a p-dog at 80 yards. Went to walk out to where I shot him, and my friend draws his 10mm glock and takes a shot at what I assumed was a different p-dog. That one got up and he shot it again.

Well, he hit that one, and when we get to where the one I shot should have been, there is a blood trail leaving the hole he was at.

The blood trail led directly to the place where my friend shot the "second" p-dog.

Turns out it was the same p-dog! That thing took one 350 gr slug at 1300 fps, and two 135 gr Barnes 10mm hollowpoints, and still managed to get away.

Armor plated I tell ya.