• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling on Madison area OCer's -- We have an interview request.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Ladies and gentlemen, I've been contacted by Joe Tarr, a reporter who is writing a cover page article for The Isthmus. He wants to interview a number of open carry advocates/practitioners soon for this article. His last email to me says:

I'd love to meet and talk to anyone who is in the Madison area and carries openly. Ideally, I would talk to several people. We're hoping to write a cover story on the subject, so it would be a large in-depth article. But crucial to the story would be getting people who carry openly to share their stories with me--why they do this, how they got started, why it's important to them.

I was planning on going to the open carry event next weekend. But I'd also like to sit down with members for a longer interview/discussion.

Please let me know if you or others would be willing to chat.

I have asked him if it is the Janesville event that he plans to attend. I don't know what his deadline is either, but I'll post additional details as I get them.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, post here or send a PM to me.

Thanks

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I can't imagine the Isthmus doing anything useful for the cause.

You never know. I do believe that sticking up for their 4th amendment rights got some respect for the Madison 5/ OC movement in general from many that may have been sitting on the other side of the fence.

I think it's important for those that would otherwise think we are all "gun toting rednecks" to know that's not the case. A few well thought out and articulate opinions in an otherwise "liberal" paper will do more good than constantly preaching to the choir.

M

McX

maybe they can meet you for an interview at culvers..................sorry, bad joke.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Perhaps not, but I don't think it is their job to do anything "useful for the cause." Their job is to publish articles that may be of interest to their readers. I wouldn't presuppose that an article won't be relatively objective. And if the article includes statements from anti-gun people, so what? They're entitled to express their views too in a balanced report. I certainly do not fear anti-gun rhetoric, because any rational fair-minded person can see right through it.

We know in advance that some of the readers will not be fans of OC and some will. If we show that we are simply everyday people from all sorts of backgrounds and perspectives and not a bunch of lunatics as our detractors try to portray us, then maybe people sitting on the fence will be more inclined to open carry in a more favorable light.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I know there are many, including me, who are coming down to Janesville on the 16th. I have to go back past Madison on the way home. Tell him that we can meet in any of the surrounding communities for a dinner interview.

Shotgun can pick the place, as he knows the area, the time should be about 6:00PM.

It has to be outside Madison, cause I don't want to be hassled or arrested and I would gladly share my viewpoint as to what drew me to start carrying, and why I carry now.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I have asked Joe Tarr if it's okay to post his email address on here in case anyone wants to make arrangements for an interview. If he agrees I'll put it up. He has a couple of weeks to complete the story, but he does wish to get working on it soon.

apjonas

When an Onside Kick is Expected

The receiving team puts out its "good hands" people. Likewise, only "good lips" people should apply. That is people who have some experience talking to the media or are saavy enough not to be led into an "inopportune" comment. If you think anybody from the Isthmus is simply looking for a "good story" you probably believe that MPD is trying to be fair to the Culver Quints. Mr. Tarr is a "professional" journalist, that is, he is skilled in taking you where he wants to go. Let us not see a bunch of after-action threads bemoaning getting suckered by a "nice guy."

Terkeytoes

Im new to OC'ing and just recently started carrying my pistol, I dont have many stories (yet), but I would be willing to state why I got started and talk with him.