• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My daughter and school

Beretta92FSLady

Back in the day, when I went to school, I had to walk uphill.....ok, this is not one of those threads.

My daughter presented me with a paper to sign that was given to her by one of her instructors. Apparently they grade kids on assignment, effort, and participation.

back in the day, you either did the assignment or you didn't. And you either received an A for getting 10/10 correct or an F for getting a 0/10. WTF does effort have to do with the assignment? If you receive a 10/10 on your assignment then that means you put forth some effort, but what if you didn't, what if the assignment was so easy that a 10/10 was a no-brainer...than it would be assumed that you still put forth effort when you actually didn't. And then we come to participation. Participation in what, the assignment, learning, classroom discussion?

I don't give a rats-a$$ how she gets an A (as long as it is not a cheated A). All of these "effort" and "participation" grades seem ridiculous to me. I always thought "effort" and "participation" were behavioral grades, not letter grades.

What I see is Tommy, who is a good kid, but not to smart, putting forth a lot of effort, and for that effort, when he should have received a c-, received a B, because the instructor thought he tried real hard. Can anyone say grade manipulation! They send these potentially inaccurate stats to the FED's, so that they can create likely inaccurate statistics on student grades.

That's it, I am switching sides, I am a Republican...ok, maybe not. Hopefully you get what I am saying though.

irish52084

Was this Washington state public school? It sounds like something they would do for their WASL test scam. That WASL is a joke. I'd rant and rave about it for days if I had the time.

MK

Why not just ask the teacher to explain it all to you? There might actually be a good reason behind their grading technique on that particular assignment and the associated critera for it.

sudden valley gunner

Why not just ask the teacher to explain it all to you? There might actually be a good reason behind their grading technique on that particular assignment and the associated critera for it.

Yea the socialization of our students.....:D

Don't become a republican please, I beg you , Libertarian would be O.K. though.

No school system is frustrating, I can't tell you how many lectures I've had to give teachers and principals.

The latest was a paper describing what political parties meant, it subtly painted anyone but Liberals/Democrats as foolish. Of course my call will go unheaded, and they will continue to do so, I gave them a big lecture on how it is not the school's job to indoctrinate my child on political beliefs.

Beretta92FSLady

No, the school is in Utah. I think it's a scam.

The guidelines for grading seem to be part of all assignments. I understand that there are group assignments which naturally would require each individual to do their part.

As far as political beliefs being taught in school, or in college textbooks, I am probably more left than anything, and I admit, the textbooks lean hard left from time to time. Rarely will I read anything that tilts tot he right. It actually irritates me when I come across blatant left-wing rhetoric in the pages of my textbooks.

sudden valley gunner

No, the school is in Utah. I think it's a scam.

The guidelines for grading seem to be part of all assignments. I understand that there are group assignments which naturally would require each individual to do their part.

As far as political beliefs being taught in school, or in college textbooks, I am probably more left than anything, and I admit, the textbooks lean hard left from time to time. Rarely will I read anything that tilts tot he right. It actually irritates me when I come across blatant left-wing rhetoric in the pages of my textbooks.

There are some things that is up to the parents to decide.

A good book to read is Lies My Teacher Told Me. By James Loewen.

I Don't agree with all his assessments and he clearly isn't a "right" thinking person, but it shows how full of propaganda our "history" and schools are.