• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: help making FOIA requests to 911,WSP, District Court

Vitaeus

Folks, could I get a PM from folks that have done requests in the past. I have a friend that needs to do them and I want to give good advice on who and how to write them to get the information she needs.

Thanks

OrangeIsTrouble

Real life example;

To whom it may concern,

My name is blah blah blah and I reside at blah blah blah. On either August 20th or the morning of the 21st of 2011, a man openly carrying a handgun was contacted and detained for a bit of time in the Green Lake area. The time frame is unknown.

Under the Public Records Act in Washington, I am requesting any and all records which may include but are not limited to 911 calls, radio communication, written reports, video and audio recordings, etc.

Thanks in advance,

blah blah blah

Seattle had a department just for PRAs, but you can just send to the general department email or address.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/OpenGovernment/InternetManual/Chapter1.aspx

There is no pre-made form, just simply send an email or letter if you/she prefers and ask for the information.