• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on gun vault brand products

fire suppressor

Silverdale Costco has a gun vault vender in until Sunday selling a wide variety of products. I have been researching them over the past few months and know what a good deal is and the vender is offering very fair prices.

I am thinking about getting a micro vault for my car the price is very reasonable compared to the competition but it is still a good chunk of money. Can anyone vouch for them? I know they have been around for years but it still feels weird to rely on a 9v battery to gain access to my gun, of course there is a battery back up. Any input would be appreciated

RedRuger

Gun Vault

I have one bolted to my bed frame (obviously inside my house) and the battery has been working for more than three years. In the heat and cold outside time will probably be significantly less. In extreme cold the battery may not put out sufficient power to operate the lock.

In my case (in my home) the Gun Vault is open when I am at home and closed when I leave the house.

1245A Defender

well,,,

I dont like a SAFE in my car...
if a safe is found, it MUST be worth breaking into!
I would advise a decent bike cable lock.
if you cant take your gun with you, then, drop the mag unrack the chamber, put that stuff in the glove box.
Strip off the slide and barrel, put those in your pocket,
Lock the USELESS reciever to the seat frame.
not much point in stealing THAT!

amzbrady

if you cant take your gun with you, then, drop the mag unrack the chamber, put that stuff in the glove box.

I wonder what they would say in a federal court house? Think they would let you go in with a barrel and slide? I wonder if they would throw a hissie fit if you had a loaded mag in your pocket?

fire suppressor

I have one bolted to my bed frame (obviously inside my house) and the battery has been working for more than three years. In the heat and cold outside time will probably be significantly less. In extreme cold the battery may not put out sufficient power to operate the lock.

In my case (in my home) the Gun Vault is open when I am at home and closed when I leave the house.

How do you like it as a product? Would you recommended it?

Tawnos

Bike cable locks are worse than a (hidden) bolted in safe. In college I was able to quickly cut a few of them for people whose locks rusted using these: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=17175

Those are 5" diagonal cutters. Not exactly powerful cutting tools, but bike locks are just strands of steel wire - each is quite small Better to have a hidden safe bolted in than use a cable lock.

tombrewster421

I have a gunvault that I open at least twice a day. Had it for a couple years and haven't changed the batteries yet. I love it and the prices at Costco can't be beat. I say buy it.

Metalhead47

I wonder what they would say in a federal court house? Think they would let you go in with a barrel and slide? I wonder if they would throw a hissie fit if you had a loaded mag in your pocket?

... while your partner in crime walks in through another entrance with a "useless" frame and loaded mag.

Yes, fits would likely be hissing.

1245A: Wossa matta? You don't like the THIRD amendment? You want soldiers quartered in your home against your will or something? :p
Seriously, finding a safe in a car is one thing. Actually gaining access to a WELL MADE, properly secured safe is another matter. Doing so should require noisy, attention-getting powertools.

1245A Defender

Wowwwie!!

at least i got a smilie with that 3rd amendment derailment.

my point was and still is,,,
they can steal the whole car.
they can break into a safe.
they can cut a cable.

But if the barrel and slide are still in my pocket, the children are saved from another gun on the street.

fire suppressor

at least i got a smilie with that 3rd amendment derailment.

my point was and still is,,,
they can steal the whole car.
they can break into a safe.
they can cut a cable.

But if the barrel and slide are still in my pocket, the children are saved from another gun on the street.

Ill give you some credit to that statement defender. Regardless of how secure or strong the safe is the car can still be driven away

amlevin

Back to the question about Gun Vaults, I have a Gun Vault Mini that's been working flawlessly for several years. The Battery is no issue at all. Mine also has a tubular lock so I can access the firearm if the battery was to ever go dead or I forgot the combination.

Just remember that all safes are subject to break-in. They're just meant to prevent someone from grabbing and running. They slow them down and force them to make some noise to get in. They do keep guns away from kids in the house and also prevent burglars from making an easy score.

My vote is that the Gun Vault products are good quality. Indestructible? No, but they will make someone work real hard for their reward.

Justman1020

I have two. I have the one that has the key and the four button combo, and i have a minivault that is just a key that i use for flying. I love them both, never had any issue's using either of them...

Also, anyone else notice the irony that COSTCO-a fairly known place for "no gun's" is selling GUN VAULT products??

MadHatter66

I have a mini-vault for my car with the cable around the frame below the drivers seat. Been there for years, and I use it now and then. I tend not to go many places I cannot take my weapon, so it doesn't get a whole lot of use, but its really nice to have in an emergency or when you need to run into somewhere you cannot take your carry weapon.

The other one I have used in an emergency is I handcuffed my Sig to the seat frame. I had to leave my weapon in the car for a few min to run into a federal building to pick something up. I figured it would take someone longer to get it out of there then I was going to be anyway. With a metal trigger guard it worked out ok, but right after that is when I went out and got my mini-vault though.

I would highly recommend any of their products, I have used most of them, even if just in passing for a demo and was always impressed with what I saw. You and I use the same Costco, so I will be on my way down there to see what they have :lol:

badkarma

Go watch the DEF CON video called "Safe to Armed in Seconds" put on by a technology company that talks about gun safes. Very interesting especially if you think cheap is ok for you.

Metalhead47

Go watch the DEF CON video called "Safe to Armed in Seconds" put on by a technology company that talks about gun safes. Very interesting especially if you think cheap is ok for you.

For those of is not rolling in money, sometimes CHEAP is the only option. Cheap is better than none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fire suppressor

Just watched the entire 30 min video on YouTube, it was a good presentation that proved a good point no safe is pick proof. Yes the more expensive ones may work better but I do not think the common cracked out want to be slim shaddy off the street is going to have the speakers knowledge or tools. With budget cuts at work gunvault may not be the best product out there but it may be the best I can afford

GuidoZ

I also have a Gun Vault (the one with 4 buttons and a tubular lock). No issues at all - I tried to go cheap previously with a First Alert (I think) brand one from Costal Farm & Ranch. After returning it twice due to fault opening (it just wouldn't open with the key press, had to use the actual key), I upgraded to the current one. Never an issue, easy to program, and I love how I can do it with my eyes closed in less than 2 seconds. I only use it to keep my main carry weapon away from the kiddies (6yr old and a almost 2yr old), and it works well. Easy to mount as well - comes with a few options (and even a paper diagram for easy measuring). Highly recommended.

amlevin

I also have a Gun Vault (the one with 4 buttons and a tubular lock). No issues at all - I tried to go cheap previously with a First Alert (I think) brand one from Costal Farm & Ranch. After returning it twice due to fault opening (it just wouldn't open with the key press, had to use the actual key), I upgraded to the current one. Never an issue, easy to program, and I love how I can do it with my eyes closed in less than 2 seconds. I only use it to keep my main carry weapon away from the kiddies (6yr old and a almost 2yr old), and it works well. Easy to mount as well - comes with a few options (and even a paper diagram for easy measuring). Highly recommended.

Gun Vault now sells the "Bio" models that use a fingerprint for access. Can store a fingerprint for everyone who has legitimate access.

Justman1020

My Costco sells at least 3 different gun safes and in the fall stock up on hunting gear. They also, on occasion, sell firearm accessories like scopes and cases. Kinda hypocritical, but I guess you sell what you can...

CostCo fail. Next time u are asked to leave for carrying someone needs to point this out to them. :/