• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member with a few questions.

yellowsport20

So I just purchased my first firearm last month (Ruger SR9). Well, Actually my wife bought it for my birthday. I am very much pro open carry. My questions are, do you think I'll get any crap for my appearance? I am 29 but I am usually carded for R rated movies (damn kid with a gun). Also, would it be to odd to ask to meet up with someone so I am not all alone on my first open carry experience? I don't want my "first time" to involve an encounter that may deter me from my right.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
There are several guys from the forum who live in your area. I'm sure any of them would be more than willing to meet with you. Squeak would be an excellent choice. He has a way of keeping people loose, if you know what I mean; a very personable guy.

fire suppressor

Good to see another gun owner in Bremerton. We have a lot of lunches and gathering all over your area you are more than welcome to come to any or all of them or you can always make your own. The first tine is the hardest and most nerve racking it the easier after that. Where is squeak I have not seen him post in a while

1245A Defender

well,,,

So I just purchased my first firearm last month (Ruger SR9). Well, Actually my wife bought it for my birthday. I am very much pro open carry. My questions are, do you think I'll get any crap for my appearance? I am 29 but I am usually carded for R rated movies (damn kid with a gun). Also, would it be to odd to ask to meet up with someone so I am not all alone on my first open carry experience? I don't want my "first time" to involve an encounter that may deter me from my right.

I will welcome you to our forum,,,, and
I will tell you this, pick a day, a time, a place where you would like to meet...
start a thread with that info, someone will come.

the hideaway in PO is a good place, or any starbucks, also good.

Vitaeus

It can be tough to start,but practice makes it easier. My personal opinion is make time to go to a firing range, getting some practice making it go bang will lower your stress levels and make it easier to start carrying. I also recommend getting your CPL Kitsap Sheriff is very accepting of it and will get you it as soon as you are checked no holding off until 30 days. If yu have not yet done so look in the sticky threads for the pamphlet and print a few to have with you. Familiarity with the applicable RCWs will make you more comfortable. Welcome to OCDO.

1911er

Welcome to the forum

Too bad you didn' post this yesterday morning. Ria and I met at starbucks in silverdale yesterday had A cuo of coffee and A great chat for about an hour. Thouroghly enjoyed it. And the hideaway Cafe in Port Orchard mentioned in 1245 defenders post is right next to the library in Port Orchard right off the foot ferry. The owners Vern and Jamie Baker and theier cook thomas are great people. I am down there all the time. If you want to get together let me know and i would even buy you a cup of coffee there.

hermannr

Yellowsport. I second the put in your papers for your CPL. Couple reasons, since Lowry, you oc you have to unload when you are in a vehicle. Unnecessary with a CPL. When you decide to add to your growing collection, you won't have to wait if you have a CPL, and last, but not least these months,,,if you are wearing a coat, you don't need to be concerned if you just happen to cover your carry. Oh yes, and they will give you a pamphlet with the laws in it (not just 9.41, but all of them) Read it until you are confident you understand the law.

Now, in over 40 year of mostly OC, many of those years without a license...two small hints. Never act like a nervous Nelly. If you feel the need to check your carry, use your elbow. Confidence, like carrying a pistol is no different than carrying a cell phone or a wallet...If you look at your carry in that manner, you will exude the confidence that will have people who actually notice your carry, will just assume you are supposed the be carrying.

In over 40 years I have had one, two word, encounter with a sheriff's deputy. It as much how you carry yourself as your carry itself.

yellowsport20

Yellowsport. I second the put in your papers for your CPL. Couple reasons, since Lowry, you oc you have to unload when you are in a vehicle. Unnecessary with a CPL. When you decide to add to your growing collection, you won't have to wait if you have a CPL, and last, but not least these months,,,if you are wearing a coat, you don't need to be concerned if you just happen to cover your carry. Oh yes, and they will give you a pamphlet with the laws in it (not just 9.41, but all of them) Read it until you are confident you understand the law.

Now, in over 40 year of mostly OC, many of those years without a license...two small hints. Never act like a nervous Nelly. If you feel the need to check your carry, use your elbow. Confidence, like carrying a pistol is no different than carrying a cell phone or a wallet...If you look at your carry in that manner, you will exude the confidence that will have people who actually notice your carry, will just assume you are supposed the be carrying.

In over 40 years I have had one, two word, encounter with a sheriff's deputy. It as much how you carry yourself as your carry itself.

Thanks for the info. I am actually going to apply for my cpl on Wednesday for the reasons you stated. Might as well cover all the bases.

PALO

"yellowsport. I second the put in your papers for your CPL. Couple reasons, since Lowry, you oc you have to unload when you are in a vehicle. Unnecessary with a CPL. When you decide to add to your growing collection, you won't have to wait if you have a CPL, and last, but not least these months,,,if you are wearing a coat, you don't need to be concerned if you just happen to cover your carry. Oh yes, and they will give you a pamphlet with the laws in it (not just 9.41, but all of them) Read it until you are confident you understand the law.

In over 40 years I have had one, two word, encounter with a sheriff's deputy. It as much how you carry yourself as your carry itself."

this is EXCELLENT advice. cheers!

not just from the practical side vis a vis the CPL, but the stuff about confidence. if there is one thing i have learned in my years, attitude determines a lot, whether dealing with LEO's, or ANYBODY else. being cocky, arrogant, etc. is RARELY beneficial, and in many cases where stuff goes wrong in life... having a better attitude and a little civility could have eliminated any problems

as OPEN CARRIERS, imo, we have a DUTY to be better than the average person when conducting ourselves in public. that means being the BIGGER man (or woman), not being a bully, arrogant, defensive, brash, reckless, unaware of our surroundings, etc.

not just because we are armed and thus should act that way out safety and responsibility, but because we are going to be judged as representative of OC'ers in general. fair or not, people will judge OC'ers by the OCer they interact with. ONE jerk (and they are out there) can poison some minds that might be swayed to come over to our side if the guy they met OC"ing wasn't such a jerk

kind of like marijuana legalization advocates (i support legalization). guys acting like stoned, ******* fools at some rally don't benefit the cause. people who are well dressed, respectful and look like a soccer mom, or professional man make people REASSESS their stereotypes.

the stereotype many have of OCer's and even gun carriers in general is that they are reckless, or bullies and stuff like that.

also, the right to carry concealed (as well as OC) is something that is quite unique IN THE WORLD. even if one never plans on carrying concealed, it's pretty simple to get a permit, and it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

furthermore, every responsible person who gets a permit and acts RESPONSIBLY helps push the stats towards bettering our cause

iow, it lowers the ratio of criminality PER CCW'ers which is already much lower than the population at large

that's why it's colossolly stupid for anybody to fear RKBA'ers whether it's cops or average joes being apprehensive.

EVERY stat shows overwhelmingly that we are amongst THE MOST LAW ABIDING demographic there is