• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rick Warren Says Late Son Got Illegal Gun on Internet

Ca Patriot

You are exactly right. The media is spinning this and its so disgusting. They are using this as an example of why we need MORE gun regulation.

The stupid nut job kid broke like 10 different laws. The seller broke 10 different laws.

IMO this is a perfect example of why laws DONT WORK and why we shouldnt pass more laws to infringe on innocent citizens.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Why waste tax payer dollars finding out where the gun came from.

He still be dead if the gun didn't have a serial number at all.

Would have been brought from a dealer or given as a gift.

People who are serious about committing suicide will find a way to do so no matter what.

No but if blame something one dosen'thave to look at the deeper problems that lead up to it.

Beretta92FSLady

Own it, firearm owners. The guy purchased a firearm and killed himself with it. Accept it, don't act like it doesn't exist, or twist whatever reasoning you have to sleep well at night. Accept it, and move on.

protias

Own it, firearm owners. The guy purchased a firearm and killed himself with it. Accept it, don't act like it doesn't exist, or twist whatever reasoning you have to sleep well at night. Accept it, and move on.

Ya...because it was the firearms fault... :rolleyes:

Beretta92FSLady

And you know this how? Mental illness can be classified as nearly anything.

If a person is not well enough that they shoot their self in the head with a firearm, they are mentally ill, period. After they shoot their self in the head, they are likely dead.

I agree, Mental Illness CAN BE classified as ANYTHING, but it's not. There are criteria that must be met to be considered Mentally Ill, and there are varying degrees of Mental Illness.

Cindy, down the street, who's attracted to a building, is Mentally Ill. Clyde, just up the road, who fantasizes about killing a prostitute and eating her flesh, he's mentally Ill.

I ask you: Which of the above two individuals would you be more comfortable with having a loaded firearm strapped to their side, while babysitting your child?

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Yeah, but you don't really. If you really got it, you wouldn't bother pointing out whether he had any "business" buying a gun through legal means. The whole point is that that – the law – is irrelevant.

The Law is not necessarily irrelevant. As I stated previously: The Law--current Bill under consideration--is a crude attempt at Mitigation.

I used to believe that Gun Free Zones only deter law abiding citizens from carrying in the GFZ. There's no evidence that's the case.--all we see is someone perpetrating a crime with a firearm in a GFZ, we don't see how many law abiding citizens actually carry in spite of the GFZ.

protias

If a person is not well enough that they shoot their self in the head with a firearm, they are mentally ill, period. After they shoot their self in the head, they are likely dead.

I agree, Mental Illness CAN BE classified as ANYTHING, but it's not. There are criteria that must be met to be considered Mentally Ill, and there are varying degrees of Mental Illness.

Cindy, down the street, who's attracted to a building, is Mentally Ill. Clyde, just up the road, who fantasizes about killing a prostitute and eating her flesh, he's mentally Ill.

I ask you: Which of the above two individuals would you be more comfortable with having a loaded firearm strapped to their side, while babysitting your child?

If you haven't read it already, liberals want to make anything that isn't liberal, "mental illness." http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...und-checks-mental-health-exclusions-and-more/

There are many reasons people commit suicide, like depression, schizophrenia, etc, etc.

Perhaps we should keep the crazies locked up instead of releasing them? http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3006571/posts

I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone babysitting my children. Why? Because I'm the one who raises my children, not someone else.

Beretta92FSLady

If you haven't read it already, liberals want to make anything that isn't liberal, "mental illness." http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...und-checks-mental-health-exclusions-and-more/

There are many reasons people commit suicide, like depression, schizophrenia, etc, etc.

Perhaps we should keep the crazies locked up instead of releasing them? http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3006571/posts

I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone babysitting my children. Why? Because I'm the one who raises my children, not someone else.

Liberals want a number of things I don't agree with; Conservatives want a number of things I don't agree with.

Yes, there are many reasons people commit suicide, nearly all of them are due to Mental Illness.--the two examples you offered are Mental Illness.

Nope, I do not support Institutionalizing Mentally Ill individuals who have their Mental Illness in a manageable state.

Well, you are certainly the exception to the rule, most people do send their children to babysitter at least once; crude attempt at dodging my question. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your redirection:monkey

Last edited:

protias

Well, you are certainly the exception to the rule, most people do send their children to babysitter at least once; crude attempt at dodging my question. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your redirection:monkey

I gave you a plain answer. If you don't like it, that is your issue. ;)

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...I used to believe that Gun Free Zones only deter law abiding citizens from carrying in the GFZ. There's no evidence that's the case.--all we see is someone perpetrating a crime with a firearm in a GFZ, we don't see how many law abiding citizens actually carry in spite of the GFZ.

That's easy... none.

If they are not abiding by the law, they are not law abiding citizens, now are they?

Perhaps you meant to inquire of 'otherwise law abiding citizens' or 'citizens with no ill intent', in which case, although I personally don't care how many of those carry in spite of a GFZ, there are fewer than would otherwise because some portion is deterred simply by the threat of prosecution for the harmless but prohibited act.

Deterrence should not be equated with absolute prevention, in that a deterring measure such as a law won't stop everyone, but it is shown to have an impact by those who do choose to alter their carry practice to avoid the known possible consequences. But those folks really weren't the problem, so a GFZ law is still not the solution.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't care how people kill themselves, it is a personal choice that is made for reasons other than just mental health. I have a good friend whose father was eaten up with cancer that his father took his took his own life. I think the progressives and people who worry about this are mentally ill. Japan has no handguns allowed and has much higher suicide rates than the US. I think progressives just need to get over others taking responsibility for their own lives and sometimes ending their own life. It is about time a lot of people just mind their own business when it is not their concern.

Motofixxer

It's always comical hearing those without kids making statements regarding the kids they don't have. Then when they do, they quickly change their mind and see reality. I have seen it over and over again. No offense Protias, but be careful of the statements you make regarding the future. If your kids never leave your supervision they will have issues, and so will you and your sanity.

I have seen the issue of discipline come up repeatedly. Parents say I will never spank my kid, don't need to... Or if you just talk to them and explain they will understand. Ha then they get a 2 yr old and they start to change their opinion. Then wait till they reach the teens. Some I currently know...oooh look out. I'm not even looking forward to that. I just sit back with my I told you so smirk. I don't even have to say anything.

Thread officially derailed, now back to our official topic.:cool: