• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing with my Son

since9

Campaign Veteran
All last summer, during this past Thanksgiving, and for the last week during Christmas, I've been OCing with my son. Unfortunately, he doesn't get to visit anywhere near as often as I'd like, but when he does, I want him to know a few things.

Of utmost importance is integrity, from Prov 20:7: "A righteous man who walks in integrity; How blessed are his sons after him." My 6-month devotional paraphrases it this way:

"The best way to teach character is to have it around the house."

I love that! It harkens back to when I used to hear "You gotta walk the walk, before you can talk the talk."

So why do I OC with my son?

1. To protect the both of us on the unlikely, but possible, chance of a BG doing something he should which might put either of us in jeopardy of life or limb.

2. To deter any such BG from pulling something stupid in the first place, particularly if it involved harming my son in any way.

3. As an avenue of sharing with my son the rights and freedoms we enjoy in our country, and why it's important to exercise them on a regular basis, not only for the purposes for which they were intended, but as a routine way of life, so as to keep those avenues wide open, while keeping the supporting structure and machinery fully-functional and well-oiled.

As he and I were shopping for groceries on Wednesday, a child about the same age as my son asked me, "May I ask you a question?" "Absolutely," I replied. "Is that a real gun?" he asked, with awe in his eyes. "Yes it is," I responded with a smile. He then asked if he could touch it, to which I said, "No, I'm afraid not. Real guns are not toys." He thought for a moment before his mom called him back to her cart, scolding him for wandering off (fifteen feet for a 10-yr-old) and my son (also 10) and I resumed working our way through our list.

As we were walking out of the store, I said, "I hope you weren't embarrassed by that..." but didn't have time to finish before he said, "Of course not, Dad. I like it when you open carry."

I thought for a moment, then said, "Really? Why's that?"

He said, "Well, it just seems normal. I feel safer when you're carrying."

I could have hugged the snot out of him right about then, and in fact, I did just that! :dude:

Freedom First

I am always glad to hear of a Father who loves his kids enough to challenge the status quo for their benefit. My focus of the last few years is bringing to light, for my neighbors and family, the changes that threaten our freedoms and rights in this country.

I want my children to live in a land with more freedom than I do. Since there is nowhere else to go, we must fix this one. One family at a time. No simple answers but He is faithful.

God bless you and yours in this new year.

Sc0tt

Its nice to see you sharing somthing you love with your son and seeing him respond to it, it sounds like you are breeding a next generation OC-er

OldCurlyWolf

Its nice to see you sharing somthing you love with your son and seeing him respond to it, it sounds like you are breeding a next generation OC-er

Even better, he is raising the next generation of citizen who will stand up for himself, his family and his neighbors. A sheepdog, not a sheeple.

:cool:

I don't have a son to replace me, but my son-in-law will do nicely.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Sweet deal.

I'm going to the range today with my son and grandson. Can't think of a better way to spend the day :)

Mr H

Sweet deal.

I'm going to the range today with my son and grandson. Can't think of a better way to spend the day :)

Good tales, all!!

Friday night we got into discussing guns a very little bit with my wife's brother and his longtime anti family.

Long story short, it seems my BIL and his youngest son (turned 15 in Sep.) are now interested in learning more and going shooting.

The more we share the importance and the proper application of our rights to the next generations, the better we will all be for it.

rotorhead

lol

We got ready, hopped in the car, went to Walmart to pick up some cheap ammo, and drove to the range. As it turns out, I was brilliant enough not to call ahead to see if they were open on New Years Day...

Well, we had a good drive back to the house anyway :)

Hmm maybe today...

ZO6Vettever

That's a "feelgood" story Pop! I'm glad your boy realizes that you will protect him from harm. You have set the thought in him to follow in your footsteps. None of us is lookin' for trouble, just want to come out of any safe and sound. I'll bet you really did "hug the snot" outta him. You, my friend, are a lucky Dad!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I am always glad to hear of a Father who loves his kids enough to challenge the status quo for their benefit. My focus of the last few years is bringing to light, for my neighbors and family, the changes that threaten our freedoms and rights in this country.

I want my children to live in a land with more freedom than I do. Since there is nowhere else to go, we must fix this one. One family at a time. No simple answers but He is faithful.

God bless you and yours in this new year.

Thank you, and same to you and yours!