• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR-15 question (not opencarry, but help appreciated)

Pace

If I disassemble my non-california legal ar-15 completely into parts into California, can I bring it in? I just dont want to have to deal with all the changes right now, and dont want to store in NV.

1 2 many

Ar

Technically no. Can't import assault weapons into cali. . Its a felony if caught. Look at california doj list and make sure its not on the list. Then you could put a mag detent and register it if you plan on living in cali.

Pace

Obviously you dont know what you are talking about, you can import weapons that have been modified. If its in parts, its just parts and not an assault weapon, since it doesnt contain the features required. I'm asking an expert however.

Also, there is no "registration" in california for long guns.

Technically no. Can't import assault weapons into cali. . Its a felony if caught. Look at california doj list and make sure its not on the list. Then you could put a mag detent and register it if you plan on living in cali.

Last edited:

mjones

If I disassemble my non-california legal ar-15 completely into parts into California, can I bring it in? I just dont want to have to deal with all the changes right now, and dont want to store in NV.

It depends on 'why' its not legal to bring into CA.

I'm presuming its illegal because its a 'CA Banned Assault Weapon' (AW)

There are 3 reasons that an AR-pattern rifle can be an AW These are commonly known as Category 1, 2 & 3
Category 1 AWs are specifically named rifles from 1989 - e.g. Colt Sporter
Category 2 AWs are also specifically named, but can also include 'series' rifles. This occurred somewhere around 2000, but I forget the specific year, so I may be off +/- a few. e.g. Colt Match Target

Since Cat 1 & 2 AWs are banned by name - even bringing a named receiver into CA is asking for trouble. It *might* be defendable, but even the CalGuns Foundation advises to avoid this scenario like the plague.

Category 3 AWs are tagged as AWs by a list of features - all of which ultimately hang on whether or not the magazine is 'detachable without a tool'. Therefore, standard mag release combined with a 'feature' = AW. Install a mag release that requires the use of a tool and the features become meaningless.

One important note about Cat 3 AWs is that they are for "Semiautomatic Centerfire Rifles" - Therefore, if you separate the upper from the lower it is no longer an AW. There is no 'constructive posession' for AWs in CA.

The EXACT specifics of the whole mess has been organized into a detailed flowchart by the CalGuns Foundation here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

mjones

Also, there is no "registration" in california for long guns.

It is infact possible to register a long gun in CA, its just not required.

Assault Weapons (as defined in CA) require registration, but registration is effectively only available to Law Enforcement and Active Duty Military with station orders for CA.

Pace

It's legal in CA if I make the adjustments, just dont want to do right now. So all I need to do is take the lower out and voila?

I know what i need to do, lock the stock, put a bullet mag detach. rather jut take apart for now.

It depends on 'why' its not legal to bring into CA.

I'm presuming its illegal because its a 'CA Banned Assault Weapon' (AW)

There are 3 reasons that an AR-pattern rifle can be an AW These are commonly known as Category 1, 2 & 3
Category 1 AWs are specifically named rifles from 1989 - e.g. Colt Sporter
Category 2 AWs are also specifically named, but can also include 'series' rifles. This occurred somewhere around 2000, but I forget the specific year, so I may be off +/- a few. e.g. Colt Match Target

Since Cat 1 & 2 AWs are banned by name - even bringing a named receiver into CA is asking for trouble. It *might* be defendable, but even the CalGuns Foundation advises to avoid this scenario like the plague.

Category 3 AWs are tagged as AWs by a list of features - all of which ultimately hang on whether or not the magazine is 'detachable without a tool'. Therefore, standard mag release combined with a 'feature' = AW. Install a mag release that requires the use of a tool and the features become meaningless.

One important note about Cat 3 AWs is that they are for "Semiautomatic Centerfire Rifles" - Therefore, if you separate the upper from the lower it is no longer an AW. There is no 'constructive posession' for AWs in CA.

The EXACT specifics of the whole mess has been organized into a detailed flowchart by the CalGuns Foundation here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Last edited:

mjones

It's legal in CA if I make the adjustments, just dont want to do right now. So all I need to do is take the lower out and voila?

I know what i need to do, lock the stock, put a bullet mag detach. rather jut take apart for now.

I'm inferring a few things from your posts...namely:
AR-15 Pattern Rifle that is not Banned By Name.
It has a Collapsible Stock.

This makes it a Cat 3 AW.

You have two separate options to legally bring it into CA.
1) Separate the Upper from the Lower and NEVER put them together while in CA until the rifle is in a legal configuration (either featurless or mag-locked)
2) Put on a Bullet Button (to make magazines non-detachable without using a tool)

Once you eventually put on a maglock device, its perfectly legal to have a collapsible stock (provided you still meet the overall length requirements for CA)

Last edited:

1 2 many

ar

1) Separate the Upper from the Lower and NEVER put them together while in CA until the rifle is in a legal configuration (either featurless or mag-locked)
2) Put on a Bullet Button (to make magazines non-detachable without using a tool)

Once you eventually put on a maglock device, its perfectly legal to have a collapsible stock (provided you still meet the overall length requirements for CA)
Thx mjones
Before pace does anything I would look at the doj list first. To check the type make sure its not a colt or other listed by name. If its listed by name you can't bring it into the state.

mjones

Thx mjones
Before pace does anything I would look at the doj list first. To check the type make sure its not a colt or other listed by name. If its listed by name you can't bring it into the state.

Sadly, the information that DoJ provides has flaws in it ... the CalGuns Flowchart posted above is perfect ... and they'll back their words with legal defense if needed.

Pace

I already know a SIG 556 is not on the list.

As a note the collapsible stock is only illegal if its under 30'. Also from speaking to CalGuns, either one of those features makes it illegal, not just combined. The stock is easy to fix, jus tneed to take out the pin in the stock and prevent the button from being pushed.

Army

I already know a SIG 556 is not on the list.

As a note the collapsible stock is only illegal if its under 30'. Also from speaking to CalGuns, either one of those features makes it illegal, not just combined. The stock is easy to fix, jus tneed to take out the pin in the stock and prevent the button from being pushed.
When did a SIG get into the picture, when you asked about an AR15?

With a Bullet Button alone, the rifle will be legal to bring into the state...even with a collapsable stock...as long as the overall length with the stock collapsed, is of legal dimension.

Of course, this depends on the receiver itself not being a named make and model.

Bullet Buttons can be had through Brownells.com

If you are really concerned, simply split the AR and bring it in. An unlisted lower without the upper attached is a firearm, not a rifle.

Decoligny

When did a SIG get into the picture, when you asked about an AR15?

With a Bullet Button alone, the rifle will be legal to bring into the state...even with a collapsable stock...as long as the overall length with the stock collapsed, is of legal dimension.

Of course, this depends on the receiver itself not being a named make and model.

Bullet Buttons can be had through Brownells.com

If you are really concerned, simply split the AR and bring it in. An unlisted lower without the upper attached is a firearm, not a rifle.

A common mistake people make is refering to an "AR style" rifle as an AR-15.
The AR-15 refers specifically to the Colt AR-15 which is a California Assault Weapon.
There are however countless rifles which are built on the basic design of the AR-15 which are not Colt AR-15s.
SIG 556 is one of those "AR-15 style" rifles.

wewd

If it's not listed by name as an assault weapon, separate the upper and lower halves and do not assemble them in the state. Also disassemble your >10 round magazines and do not reassemble them.