• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry method question

Ezerharden

Hello,
I have what may seem a stupid question regarding the method of open carry. I am currently suffering some abdominal troubles so carrying on my hip is difficult, if not painful. What is the general impression of open carry in a shoulder rig?

I do also have a valid MI CPL.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Hi there Ezerharden I hope you do not mind my input I know we are a few states away. At least here in Washington some people do not like them because shoulders holsters make you muzzle the people behind you but lets be honest modern hand guns have gun gone off by themselves since the 1800s. We buy expensive name brand guns for a reason you could use a glock as a hammer and nothing would happen. I do not own any because of the price of the holster but am all for them. You gotta do what you gotta do I would rather have someone use a shoulder holster than leave his weapon at home and leave themselves defenseless

xmanhockey7

If you get a shoulder holster to OC make sure it is a vertical holster and not a horizontal one. With a horizontal holster the someone is behind you the muzzle is pointing at that person. Most of us here realize there is nothing wrong with that as far as the gun is not going to go off. I have heard pro gun people complain about it and say it is unsafe so imaging what an anti would say. With the vertical holster the muzzle is pointing down.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=3327&CatalogID=2 This has been known to be a good shoulder holster. I have the Miami Classic version for concealed carry.

Super Trucker

I guess I am the only one that reads the monthly stories about guns magically going off and blowing up toilets and such.
Point being guns do go off all the time, covering somebody with the muzzle of your gun might not be the greatest idea. People that do not know you might not know if you are one of the folks that cause the toilets to blow up magically.

PDinDetroit

Hello,
I have what may seem a stupid question regarding the method of open carry. I am currently suffering some abdominal troubles so carrying on my hip is difficult, if not painful. What is the general impression of open carry in a shoulder rig?

I do also have a valid MI CPL.

I had a similar issue in 2010, I considered a drop-leg holster since it would be closer to how I am used to carrying than a shoulder rig (making it a cross-draw).

BTW - not a dumb question at all!

Last edited:

OC for ME

The issue is not muzzle control. Folks, regular folks, do not get all jittery if they see a LEO with a shoulder rig. Even if they were standing behind the LEO at a Starbucks. The issue is that a 'non-LEO' is armed.

xmanhockey7

The issue is not muzzle control. Folks, regular folks, do not get all jittery if they see a LEO with a shoulder rig. Even if they were standing behind the LEO at a Starbucks. The issue is that a 'non-LEO' is armed.

I kind of agree with you. A cop with a horizontal holster and a person behind them people won't take as a big deal because well he's a cop. A non LEO with a horizontal holster people may not like because the muzzle is pointing at them. Is the gun going to go off in your holster? Probably not. I have no worries of it going off in my Galco Miami Classic. I have seen people who are "pro gun" and "pro carry" who argued that people shouldn't carrying in horizontal holsters because it puts the gun in a position where it's pointing at people behind you and they even said they don't feel comfortable with someone carrying that way. I do not share their opinion in anyway. Personally I think if someone is going to OC in a shoulder holster it should be in a vertical holster.

EM87

Bottom line: shoulder holster OC is just as legal as hip OC or thigh-rig OC or any other type of OC.

Personally, I CC with a horizontal shoulder holster all winter. I know the gun will not go off on its own, so nobody is in any danger. However, I would not OC in my shoulder holster simply because I don't think the people behind me would like seeing a gun pointed towards them. I know I wouldn't. It's all about perception.

xmanhockey7

Bottom line: shoulder holster OC is just as legal as hip OC or thigh-rig OC or any other type of OC.

Personally, I CC with a horizontal shoulder holster all winter. I know the gun will not go off on its own, so nobody is in any danger. However, I would not OC in my shoulder holster simply because I don't think the people behind me would like seeing a gun pointed towards them. I know I wouldn't. It's all about perception.

^ +1 this!

autosurgeon

My opinion on the subject as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk