• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammunition

motoxmann

all types of ammo are still legal, except armor-piercing and .50 caliber incendiary.

the law as written:

(a) For the purposes of this section:

(1) "Armor piercing [. 50 caliber] bullet" means (A) any . 50 caliber bullet that [is (A)] (i) is designed for the purpose of, [(B)] (ii) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or [(C)] (iii) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to penetrate armor or bulletproof glass, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M2 Armor-Piercing" or "AP", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT", "M903 Caliber . 50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator" or "SLAP", or "M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer" or "SLAPT", or (B) any bullet that can be fired from a pistol or revolver that (i) has projectiles or projectile cores constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, from tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium, or (ii) is fully jacketed with a jacket weight of more than twenty-five per cent of the total weight of the projectile, is larger than .22 caliber and is designed and intended for use in a firearm, and (iii) does not have projectiles whose cores are composed of soft materials such as lead or lead alloys, zinc or zinc alloys, frangible projectiles designed primarily for sporting purposes, or any other projectiles or projectile cores that the Attorney General of the United States finds to be primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes or industrial purposes or that otherwise does not constitute "armor piercing ammunition" as defined in federal law. "Armor piercing bullet" does not include a shotgun shell.

(2) "Incendiary . 50 caliber bullet" means any . 50 caliber bullet that [is] (A) is designed for the purpose of, (B) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M1 Incendiary", "M23 Incendiary", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", or "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT".

(b) Any person who knowingly distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale or gives to any person any ammunition that is an armor piercing [. 50 caliber] bullet or an incendiary. 50 caliber bullet shall be guilty of a class D felony, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who knowingly transports or carries a firearm with an armor piercing bullet or incendiary .50 caliber bullet loaded shall be guilty of a class D felony.

Last edited:

motoxmann

ok thanks,another question is,are fn five seven considered assault weapons in ct ?

as long as it does not have a threaded barrel capable of accepting a sound suppressor, NO it is Not considered an assault weapon in CT; it is just a semi-automatic handgun.
BUT: obviously you know the FNH (FN) 5-7 comes with mags capable of 15, 20, 25, and sometimes 30 rounds. if you already own them and are already a CT resident, you can keep them, but you'll need to register the mags (claim possession of them) with state police by January 1, 2014. And to use the mags anywhere besides your own property or a gun range or a friend's property, you need to make sure there is never more than 10 rounds loaded in the mag, and the mag cannot extend past the grip.

If you do not live in CT yet, any five-seven mags you have that are capable of holding more than 10 rounds you'll need to get rid of within 90 days of becoming a CT resident, and you'll need to find some 10-round mags for it (not even sure if they even make those :( ).
also, you can not carry a mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds as a spare mag. any mag you carry that is not loaded in the gun itself must not be capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaally want a Five-Seven!! I just can't afford it, so stinkin expensive for a handgun :(

motoxmann

all types of ammo are still legal, except armor-piercing and .50 caliber incendiary.

the law as written:

(a) For the purposes of this section:

(1) "Armor piercing [. 50 caliber] bullet" means (A) any . 50 caliber bullet that [is (A)] (i) is designed for the purpose of, [(B)] (ii) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or [(C)] (iii) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to penetrate armor or bulletproof glass, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M2 Armor-Piercing" or "AP", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT", "M903 Caliber . 50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator" or "SLAP", or "M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer" or "SLAPT", or (B) any bullet that can be fired from a pistol or revolver that (i) has projectiles or projectile cores constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, from tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium, or (ii) is fully jacketed with a jacket weight of more than twenty-five per cent of the total weight of the projectile, is larger than .22 caliber and is designed and intended for use in a firearm, and (iii) does not have projectiles whose cores are composed of soft materials such as lead or lead alloys, zinc or zinc alloys, frangible projectiles designed primarily for sporting purposes, or any other projectiles or projectile cores that the Attorney General of the United States finds to be primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes or industrial purposes or that otherwise does not constitute "armor piercing ammunition" as defined in federal law. "Armor piercing bullet" does not include a shotgun shell.

(2) "Incendiary . 50 caliber bullet" means any . 50 caliber bullet that [is] (A) is designed for the purpose of, (B) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M1 Incendiary", "M23 Incendiary", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", or "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT".

(b) Any person who knowingly distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale or gives to any person any ammunition that is an armor piercing [. 50 caliber] bullet or an incendiary. 50 caliber bullet shall be guilty of a class D felony, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who knowingly transports or carries a firearm with an armor piercing bullet or incendiary .50 caliber bullet loaded shall be guilty of a class D felony.

edited my above post about ammo, to add .50cal incendiary, and to show the actual law for you, so you can see how they classify an armor piercing bullet, so you can determine if the five-seven ammo you have or use would fall into that category or not

Afragu

edited my above post about ammo, to add .50cal incendiary, and to show the actual law for you, so you can see how they classify an armor piercing bullet, so you can determine if the five-seven ammo you have or use would fall into that category or not

Thanks again moto

davidmcbeth

Banned
There are actual test methods for testing the physical characteristic of a bullet's penetration capabilities.

Instead of actually listing the methods and the results required to be considered to be a banned ammo, they list only a handful and then leave the rest to the imagination.

Idiots who write laws write laws that are idiotic.

Look at other laws regarding physical properties that can actually be measured .. they list the test method and the results that would be the line between OK and not OK.

I don't think that any, other than those specifically list, would pass the legal test. But that's my opinion only...

They do talk about the bullet's composition .. but that information is a trade secret (how are you supposed to know...I don't think that the law can force you to do an ICP/AA test on materials).

Last edited:

ctfireman

as long as it does not have a threaded barrel capable of accepting a sound suppressor, NO it is Not considered an assault weapon in CT; it is just a semi-automatic handgun.
BUT: obviously you know the FNH (FN) 5-7 comes with mags capable of 15, 20, 25, and sometimes 30 rounds. if you already own them and are already a CT resident, you can keep them, but you'll need to register the mags (claim possession of them) with state police by January 1, 2014. And to use the mags anywhere besides your own property or a gun range or a friend's property, you need to make sure there is never more than 10 rounds loaded in the mag, and the mag cannot extend past the grip.

"and the mag cannot extend past the grip".

Is that the case just while carrying in public? For example can i still use 33 round glock mags at the range?

motoxmann

"and the mag cannot extend past the grip".

Is that the case just while carrying in public? For example can i still use 33 round glock mags at the range?

correct, yes you can still use 33 round glock mags at the range. BUT because they are "assault magazines" they need to be transported in the same legal manner as "assault weapons"; they must be unloaded, and kept in the trunk of the vehicle, or if the vehicle does not have a trunk they need to somehow be locked up (in some form of locked container) as well as inaccessible to anyone in the vehicle. IE: I drive a jeep and I don't have a gun box, so if I were transporting such mags I would need to put them in my backpack, put a small padlock on the zippers, and throw the backpack all the way in the back of my jeep.

HCM's (high capacity magazines) must remain unloaded at ALL times, unless on your own property, on the property of a business YOU own, on the property of a shooting range, or on someone else's property with their express permission and knowledge.
The only time you can have a HCM loaded anywhere but the above listed places is if you have 10 or less rounds in the mag and the mag is loaded into a handgun which is on your person or within arms reach and as long as the mag does not extend past the grip. so a 33 round glock mag can not be in a gun or loaded at any time except the above specified places

motoxmann

Hey, look, California no longer has the dumbest "assault weapons ban" in the country.

:(

Hey, look, grrrrrrr, I got nuthin. There simply is no comeback for that statement haha. At least we still have the personal choice of wearing a helmet or not on a motorcycle :p I think that's quite literally the ONLY choice the CT government has allowed us to keep. They regulate darn near everything else you can imagine

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hey, look, grrrrrrr, I got nuthin. There simply is no comeback for that statement haha. At least we still have the personal choice of wearing a helmet or not on a motorcycle :p I think that's quite literally the ONLY choice the CT government has allowed us to keep. They regulate darn near everything else you can imagine

Y'all truly have my sympathy. :(

Freiheit417

correct, yes you can still use 33 round glock mags at the range. BUT because they are "assault magazines" they need to be transported in the same legal manner as "assault weapons"; they must be unloaded, and kept in the trunk of the vehicle, or if the vehicle does not have a trunk they need to somehow be locked up (in some form of locked container) as well as inaccessible to anyone in the vehicle. IE: I drive a jeep and I don't have a gun box, so if I were transporting such mags I would need to put them in my backpack, put a small padlock on the zippers, and throw the backpack all the way in the back of my jeep.

HCM's (high capacity magazines) must remain unloaded at ALL times, unless on your own property, on the property of a business YOU own, on the property of a shooting range, or on someone else's property with their express permission and knowledge.
The only time you can have a HCM loaded anywhere but the above listed places is if you have 10 or less rounds in the mag and the mag is loaded into a handgun which is on your person or within arms reach and as long as the mag does not extend past the grip. so a 33 round glock mag can not be in a gun or loaded at any time except the above specified places

Thoughts on magazines that are 10 rounds or less, such as SIG P290 (6 rounds) or Glock 26/27 with +0 pinky extension (10 rd/9 rd. respectively)? Can these extend below the grip if carried in the pistol and as spare?

Examples:

P290-detail-hero.jpg

PEPG26.jpg

Attachments

• P290-detail-hero.jpg
    P290-detail-hero.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 96

motoxmann

Thoughts on magazines that are 10 rounds or less, such as SIG P290 (6 rounds) or Glock 26/27 with +0 pinky extension (10 rd/9 rd. respectively)? Can these extend below the grip if carried in the pistol and as spare?

Examples:

P290-detail-hero.jpg

PEPG26.jpg

both of those should be perfectly fine, as only the baseplate extends. the magazine itself is still completely contained in the grip. that, and the part in the law about mags that extend past the grip only apply to mags that are capable of more than 10 rounds. so legally, you could buy a 10 round extended mag for that p290 and carry it all day everywhere you go both in the gun and as a spare. so you're doubly fine with those pictured mags.