• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noticed that Penn Square Mall in Oklahoma City has posted 'no firearms',

Firehand

and asked why. Long roundabout finding valid contact information(wanted something in writing, so didn't call the mall office; finally did get hold of the mall manager, and this was the response:
"Hopefully I can adequately explain Simon Property Group's position by stating:

Possession of any weapon at our malls, whether concealed or displayed openly, is in violation of mall policy. This policy is intended first and foremost to maintain a safe, secure and comfortable environment at our malls, which has always been our top priority, and to avoid any situation that could potentially place at risk the safety of our shoppers and employees.

With rare exception, our malls are private property, and like virtually every other facility in the community that is accessible by the public, ownership/management has the right to prohibit the possession of weapons, both displayed or concealed, other than licensed weapons carried by law enforcement personnel.

We recognize that everyone does not endorse such a policy. However, it is the one our company embraces and enforces at each of our properties and which we believe is in the best interest of those who work and visit there.

Thanks for your inquiry."

Working on a polite response, which will include asking "As this means I would have to be disarmed in your parking garage and lots, does the mall take responsibility if I'm attacked/robbed on that part of the property?"
And noting that I really don't want to shop in a place that considers me untrustworthy, and a threat to the other patrons.

KBCraig

Simon Property Group

Ah. That's all you had to say.

You can go ahead with your reply if you wish, but you could save time by finding a fence post to talk to. It will be just as effective.

The gun community has been through this issue with Simon for years. They don't care, and aren't budging.

Archerman99

Maybe if Penn allowed it, it could have stopped the countless robberies, muggings, car jackings, stabbing, attempted abduction and RAPE that have occurred in their parking garage over the last few years. I refuse to let my wife and daughter go there alone. They have has to many issues with people lurking around in the parking garage. Don't forget to mention that to them as well. Their GFCZ has obviously become an open invitation for scum.

REDDIRT

What could happen if you go into a store with a no gun decal on window and you have your gun on you ?

Gary S

What could happen if you go into a store with a no gun decal on window and you have your gun on you ?
You will be trespass from the property to start with then if you return there you can be arrested. Best bet avoid them.

Robert318

From my understanding whether you cc or oc and a sign has been posted where it could be considered obvious then you can charged with trespass if sign is not in plain sight at every entrance they must inform you of their policy and ask you to leave, then if you refuse you can be charged with trespass.

If you go to the thread about the open carry presentation someone posted an audio recording of it that is about an hour long and on it we were told about that very question.

Last edited:

hrdware

Depending on the jurisdiction, the sign could be considered your notice of intent and you can be arrested for trespass without verbal notice. In other locations, verbal notice is required before an owner/manager can charge you with trespass.

I wouldn't recommend carrying past a sign to figure out which type of jurisdiction you live in.

Oklapatriot

Hey, if it's concealed well enough they won't know and if something truly happens.....well I would cross that bridge when it came up. When I go to places like that I use "Deep Conceal" Air Marshall's type holster.

Oklapatriot

Yeah, I know. It's just too darned hard to open carry everywhere and plan for every stop you might make while traveling. I don't really want to leave the weapon in the car.....

Aknazer

Yeah, I know. It's just too darned hard to open carry everywhere and plan for every stop you might make while traveling. I don't really want to leave the weapon in the car.....

As I plan to use my duty holster that isn't exactly an option to simply "cover up". Though I do plan on getting a quick release for fast removal on those occasions i need to leave it behind.