• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT 1911 AR

Would you recommend the Taurus PT 1911 AR

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

modernknight

So, I have been giving it a lot of consideration and research and after looking over different models of 1911's, as well as just generally full size pistols, I have come down to a conclusion of getting a Taurus PT 1911 AR. While I WILL have the money to get a more expensive 1911, I also have a wedding to save up for. I can't quite test guns at the moment, seeing as I'm deployed overseas...Given just on research, I am finding this might be a decent gun for carrying (OC and CC). Planning on trying to get a good IWB holster, but first would like to ask this: Anyone carry this (and I mean full size, not compact), and what's your opinion on this gun??

Any other recommendations, suggestions, comments/concerns?? Anything is always helpful, seeing as I still have a couple of months left til I buy it :)

Thanks in Advance!!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
No no, no, absolutely NO. I owned a PT1911AR, it worked great but the rail was so damn big I had trouble finding a decent holster to carry it in. That coupled with the expensive .45 rounds led me to sell the gun. Later I decided that I missed the 1911 but I didn't want to pay for .45 at the range, so I bought a PT1911 9mm. The gun store ordered it as they didn't have any in stock. I received the gun months later, soaked in oil, brand new in the box - BROKEN. The hammer would drop upon disengaging the thumb safety if you had touched the trigger whilst the safety was engaged. (Taurus fixed it with their warranty)

A few months later I decided I didn't want to carry a 9mm 1911, so I ordered ANOTHER PT1911, in .45. I got it home and disassembled it to find the inside of the frame had chips and tool marks all over the place. The internal components appeared to have been thrown through a jet engine. The trigger was absolutely atrotious and felt like the safety was on - when it wasn't.

While this next experience isn't related to 1911s, it is to Taurus. My first revolver was a Taurus M85, it too was broken brand new in the box. (As with the 1911, Taurus fixed it under warranty)

Because of my first hand experience with Taurus I feel it is my duty when I see threads like this to inform potential customers of my problems. Taurus' warranty is lifetime, which is GREAT - because you're going to need it. I can't tell you about Ruger/Glock/Sig/CZ's warranties. I have no idea what they are. I've never had to use them.

Here will come the onslaught of 'OMG HE'S TROLLING!!! TAURUS IS KNOWN FOR HAVING THE BEST QUALITY CONTROL.' If you've been shooting Taurus' for years and have 0 problems, that's great. I had them for just a few months and it didn't take me long to realize I was dealing with a sub-quality manufacturer. When it comes to buying tools you plan on using for really bad life or death situations, avoid taurus. That doesn't mean you have to spend more money, Rock Island Armory makes an EXCELLENT quality 1911 for less than $500 and I recommend them to anyone looking for a 1911.

(does anyone know of ANY legit agencies for law enforcement or military that would allow their guys to carry a duty gun with TAURUS etched on the side?)

KYGlockster

Activist Member
So, I have been giving it a lot of consideration and research and after looking over different models of 1911's, as well as just generally full size pistols, I have come down to a conclusion of getting a Taurus PT 1911 AR. While I WILL have the money to get a more expensive 1911, I also have a wedding to save up for. I can't quite test guns at the moment, seeing as I'm deployed overseas...Given just on research, I am finding this might be a decent gun for carrying (OC and CC). Planning on trying to get a good IWB holster, but first would like to ask this: Anyone carry this (and I mean full size, not compact), and what's your opinion on this gun??

Any other recommendations, suggestions, comments/concerns?? Anything is always helpful, seeing as I still have a couple of months left til I buy it :)

Thanks in Advance!!

I have never had any problems with my Taurus 1911, but I will make a different suggestion: the Ruger SR1911. The Ruger is nearly the same price (probably less), and is a much better pistol all around. The Taurus just isn't a precise piece of machinery. The Ruger is very attractive and the fit and finish are superb! The Taurus has cheap bluing, and the beaver tail is poorly machined. The Ruger is much better to look at than the Taurus, and it is probably less likely to have problems. And it is made in the USA, which is always a plus!

Also, the Taurus comes from the factory covered in a nasty grease that takes hours to get off to where it can be carried. The Ruger is a MUCH better choice, and it will probably cost you LESS money!

dashowdy

Thanks in Advance!!

If you want a good budget 1911 with all the bells and whistles, novak sights, extended slide release, all forged components down to the frame not cast like RIA. Then take a look at the bersa or metro arms american classic line. I bought a used commander, full size frame with 4.25in slide and barrel, it had been shot a bit and had some issues, extractor clocking and springs were worn out. I took it out to the range and fired 200 rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. Fed it the nastiest chewed up 45 ammo around my house and it spit them out one after the other. For a budget 1911 it is hard to beat in the 500 or less price range and it is cut for novak sights from the factory. I have since replaced the worn out parts and would put it against any custom 1911 all day any day. It is a dream to conceal in a crossbreed supertuck, I imagine the gov't size would not be any harder to conceal. I dont OC it much that is what my glock 20 is for but every now and again I do.

The taurus 1911 can be a good gun provided you can inspect it at the gun shop, Alot of the lower end 1911's mine included have some QC issues every now and again but for the most part they are usually good to go. Even with the issues with mine I still bought it knowing full well the parts and time that would be needed to get it up to snuff again. They are just fun period and once you get one it really does become an addiction.

Just curious what was your budget for this particular pistol?

modernknight

Thank you all for the suggestions :) I am certainly looking more into the Ruger and Rock Island Armory. I only heard a few good reviews, but the more research I am doing it seems like I am seeing bad reviews over good, again with the grease. Budget wise I am looking under $1,000. While I can afford more, again, I'm saving for a wedding so gotta keep it lower. Preferably though, I am trying to find one with a bottom rail so I can attach a light or laser to it later down the road and won't need to buy a new 1911 just for that.

Again, thanks for the suggestions :) It certainly helps, so keep the reviews and suggestions coming, as I am always open, especially since I still have a couple of months before I fully decide :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
OMG, I can't believe Schlitz is TROLLING again........

On a serious note, I haven't had any problems with my Taurus 1911, it's got about 1500 rounds through it. Based on my personal experience, I think you would fine getting a Taurus 1911. They have greatly improved their quality control in recent years.

Another good option for a starting-out 1911 is Rock Island Armory. I own two of them and they are absolutely great guns.

dashowdy

For your price range if it were me, either a springfield loaded model or a smith and wesson pro series 1911.

The loaded should be anywhere between 700 to 850 and smiths start at 900 or so maybe a little cheaper used.

KWP

Is the Taurus really THAT bad?

For your price range if it were me, either a springfield loaded model or a smith and wesson pro series 1911.

The loaded should be anywhere between 700 to 850 and smiths start at 900 or so maybe a little cheaper used.

Do you think a Remington 1911 R1 could be a good alternative?

Local gun shop has either this (1,050), or the Taurus (749) + a LOT of .22LR (300-400 depending on the model), which might actually be good alternatives for everyday shooting.

dashowdy

Do you think a Remington 1911 R1 could be a good alternative?

Local gun shop has either this (1,050), or the Taurus (749) + a LOT of .22LR (300-400 depending on the model), which might actually be good alternatives for everyday shooting.

That is really high for an R1 so it must be a centennial model or they are gouging because a standard R1 is around 625 new, the taurus should be closer to 580 or 600. Check out budsgunshop.com they have a 1911 specific section, If you want to stay cheap and get a gun comparable to those two again check out the bersa/ metroarms 1911 they are great value for the money.

KWP

That is really high for an R1 so it must be a centennial model or they are gouging because a standard R1 is around 625 new, the taurus should be closer to 580 or 600. Check out budsgunshop.com they have a 1911 specific section, If you want to stay cheap and get a gun comparable to those two again check out the bersa/ metroarms 1911 they are great value for the money.

Thanks a lot. Those are the prices we get here in Luxembourg though, and include sales taxes. I might decide to go ahead and buy one from a dealer abroad (there's a lot of paperwork involved though).

In any case, I don't think this is the centennial model: http://www.armurerie-frauenberg.lu/shop/pistole-remington-mod-1911-r1-kal-45acp

What I get though from your comment is that the Remington R1 and the Taurus PT 1911 AR cost more or less the same, but the Remington seems to have better reviews then the Taurus.

dashowdy

Thanks a lot. Those are the prices we get here in Luxembourg though, and include sales taxes. I might decide to go ahead and buy one from a dealer abroad (there's a lot of paperwork involved though).

In any case, I don't think this is the centennial model: http://www.armurerie-frauenberg.lu/shop/pistole-remington-mod-1911-r1-kal-45acp

What I get though from your comment is that the Remington R1 and the Taurus PT 1911 AR cost more or less the same, but the Remington seems to have better reviews then the Taurus.

If I had to pick the two and they were within 100 dollars of each other then yes I would get the remington. If they were not such as your case I would buy the taurus, they are not bad guns and the bad reviews probably came from earlier guns in the production run. Chances are any QC issues have been worked out by now. Two key things to look for is does the frame and slide produce rattling at all if it is shaken, there will be a little normally but not loud or super sloppy, two is the extractor clocking due to a poorly fit Firing pin stop. The only way to check is to take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the extractor claw on the inside of the slide then look at the back of the slide where the extractor is and see if it wiggles at all. If it does then see if they have other ones you can pick from.

On a side note how available are parts for 1911's over there, if they are easy then fixing some minor issues like the Extractor clocking is easy with an oversized custom fit firing pin stop. If parts are scarce then be very selective on which one you pick. Parts are abundant here in the states, and I knew full well what fixing my gun was going to take since it was used. If you dont have that option for readily available spare parts then get the remington, QC is a bit tighter than the taurus in my opinion, it does not mean the taurus is not as good it is just that the fit and finish may not be as snug as the remington as often, but the remington may be sloppy too, even high end custom guns are not always right from the factory it is just part of the 1911 platform. Hell your in Germany why not buy a sig 220 they should be pretty cheap over there especially if you can find a west german police trade in would be better than any 1911 you could buy almost.

Do some research and learn what to look for and that can save you some hassle and heartache in regards to possible manufacturing issues with either one.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member

How can you purchase a handgun when the mere possession (private) of a handgun in Luxembourg is prohibited?

This is what gunpolicy.org states.

Last edited:

KWP

How can you purchase a handgun when the mere possession (private) of a handgun in Luxembourg is prohibited?

This is what gunpolicy.org states.

I have both a Luxembourg and a European permit.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have both a Luxembourg and a European permit.

GunPolicy.org states possesson is completely forbidden. I guess they need to brush up on their research. I do believe that the EU sticking its nose into the workings of a soveriegn nation is completely ridiculous.

KWP

GunPolicy.org states possesson is completely forbidden. I guess they need to brush up on their research.

Actually, possession of most guns has never been totally forbidden in Luxembourg. You only need to apply for a permit, which is quite easy to get. Once you've got the permit you can own an unlimited number of guns. Getting a CCW permit is more difficult, but not impossible.

I do believe that the EU sticking its nose into the workings of a soveriegn nation is completely ridiculous.

Actually EU law obliged European countries to honor ALL EU-issued permits. The EU permit is basically nothing more than a translation of a national permit. Thanks to this I am able to organize OC events here and abroad and get people to come to these meetups from other countries as well.

PS: I guess our last few posts kind of hijacked the thread... maybe we should bring it to a new thread, if you want.

j4l

OMG, I can't believe Schlitz is TROLLING again........

On a serious note, I haven't had any problems with my Taurus 1911, it's got about 1500 rounds through it. Based on my personal experience, I think you would fine getting a Taurus 1911. They have greatly improved their quality control in recent years.

Another good option for a starting-out 1911 is Rock Island Armory. I own two of them and they are absolutely great guns.

Ignore the Taurus nonsense, that was from some issues (mostly debunked) long before they even made 1911s. Moot point, not even worth trashing the child about it again.

The Ruger and RIA are decent alternatives-but- the Rugers are hard to find on most local gun-shop shelves, and the few that I have found, have been marked up way above MSRP, due to the demand. The RIAs are excellent, but becomming scarce lately, as folks seem to have been finding out about them, and buying them faster than some stores can stock them.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Ignore the Taurus nonsense, that was from some issues (mostly debunked) long before they even made 1911s. Moot point, not even worth trashing the child about it again.

None of my issues have been 'debunked.' They were legitimate problems that happened after the whole "TAURUS FIXED THEIR QUALITY CONTROL STANDARDS" statements. I only started buying taurus because I had heard that there QC was better. After a few purchases I've learned that none of that seemed to be true.

1800+ posts doesn't help your credibility if you still have to use name calling to back up your point of view.

Modern, if your budget is under 1,000 you should have no problem finding a decent 1911. Avoid the Taurus. Take a look at some of the SIG 1911's. I think they are pretty neat since they have a more 'modern' look on a classic design without throwing a ginormous rail on the gun.

edit: and for the record, something that is 'moot' is something that is worth debating or disputing. Most educated people know this.

Last edited:

j4l

None of my issues have been 'debunked.' They were legitimate problems that happened after the whole "TAURUS FIXED THEIR QUALITY CONTROL STANDARDS" statements. I only started buying taurus because I had heard that there QC was better. After a few purchases I've learned that none of that seemed to be true.

1800+ posts doesn't help your credibility if you still have to use name calling to back up your point of view.

Modern, if your budget is under 1,000 you should have no problem finding a decent 1911. Avoid the Taurus. Take a look at some of the SIG 1911's. I think they are pretty neat since they have a more 'modern' look on a classic design without throwing a ginormous rail on the gun.

edit: and for the record, something that is 'moot' is something that is worth debating or disputing. Most educated people know this.

Debunked. End of discussion.