• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the ?

Levi

Wait, if you do your job badly they give you more money? Perhaps I've been going about trying to get a raise the wrong way.

amlevin

That extra $5 Million is the expected cost of Federal Monitoring of the PD. Reports, extra personnel to generate them, etc. You're right, they should have been doing it right all along but just remember, it's Seattle PD. I had some experience with their Command Staff back in the 60's while working for a Seattle Company. That was back when the "Envelopes" were passed around from patrolman to chief, everyone taking their share from the cash in it until it made it to the top.

What's really changed?

Best thing that could happen to SPD is to be under DOJ's supervision. They'll fight it like hell and claim all the extra costs will hurt. Instead they'll just end up paying settlements for the misbehavior of their officers. I hope DOJ doesn't buy the BS the Mayor and Chief are putting out with their 20-20 "plan".

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Is the five mill a year the anticipated payout for police misconduct?? Or is mcgrimm trying to intimidate the public? Beat them up, shoot them, charge them five mill a year. A good reason to stay out of seatlle

twoskinsonemanns

HAHAHAHA! Oh man. This is what this country has come to?
How about introducing some radical laws that give the people some power and confidence to stand up to injustice, coupled with seriously deterring punishments for the actual law breakers?

larrybob

Wait, if you do your job badly they give you more money? Perhaps I've been going about trying to get a raise the wrong way.

That is how it is where I work. If you slack off all week, and do everything except your job, you get to work overtime to "catch up".

LkWd_Don

LOL Sounds like normal Government employment to me.. Screw up to move up!

I mostly agree with SVG..
If they can't specifically Void the existing Union Contract and completely de-unionize. Then put the Union on official notice that due to the misconduct of their members, the cost of oversight will come out of their coffers and they have to figure out how to make it work.. That a Civilian Oversight Committee comprised of disinterested people (those who do not live in and have no associations to anyone in Seattle, the SPD or its Union) will be hired to handle all efficiency and misconduct reports from an Office Building located outside of King County to avoid any possibility of favoritism or coercion and that any SPD Officer not complying will receive a disciplinary discharge.

They could save themselves a bunch of cash and satisfy the FBI at the same time.

Last edited: