• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Milwaukee Frozen Custard in Leesburg, VA

zoom6zoom

imported post

I've never seen what the appeal of Carl's is. Stopped there a long time ago with my car club, was disappointed to find it was just soft serve (or as we called it in the Navy, brown dog and white dog). I was hoping for real hand packed homemade the little stands I grew up with. Even if they were enthusiastically 2A pro I wouldn't have a reason to return.

fullclipemptygrave

It was one of those nice evenings.. and we decided to go get ice cream. We like Milwaukee Frozen Custard and usually go to the one in Leesburg (and I usually OC).

Tonight, an interesting conversation took place between me, the Young Man that took my order (YM) and the Owner (Owner) that was also behind the counter.

After placing my order...

YM - (looking at my hip)... is that a 45?

Me - Sure is, a Kimber.

YM- Cool. I can't wait till I am 21 and can get my permit to carry.

Me- You don't need a permit to Open Carry. Are you at least 18?

YM- Yes.. I am.. and am also gonna be a Marine

Me- Ohh Rah.. Semper Fi! Here is an information card I made up that explains some of the laws and rules of Open Carry.

YM-Thanks.. this buddy of mine that teaches gun safety classes said I can't carry until I get my permit and am 21.

Me-Well.. you only need to be 18 to Open Carry.

Owner - Why would you want to carry a gun?

Me and YM (almost in Unison.. except I said "for protection" and YM said "for self defense")

Owner-I don't like guns!

Me-So you would not want me in here with a gun?

Owner-Absolutely Not!

Me-Well.. I guess I will stop coming here because every time I have come here since you opened I have come here and been armed like I am now.

Owner (looks at my hip)- Oh! Are you a cop??

Me- No.. just a citizen like you.

Me-So if you don't want me in here again I will leave and not come back.

Owner-No.. I don't mind you coming in here.

Me-Well.. if you tell me (and others) that you don't want guns in here.. only the BAD guys will carry guns in here.. Honest, law abiding citizens won't carry in here or won't come in at all. And you probably never even notice as I have been coming here for years and this is the first time that you noticed. Besides.. in this economy.. I would think you would want all the business you can get!

Owner-Well you got that right and you gave me something to think about.

Me- So.. am I welcome to come back again? Armed as Usual?

Owner- Yes. You are.. and thank you for coming tonight.

Me- Your welcome.. Good night.

Owner - Good Night

YM- See Ya!

:dude:

Hello, I am the YM who used to work at Millwaukee Frozen Custard. I remember this, and that Ed pretty much converted me on the spot. lol He gave me his OC cards with the do's and don'ts, and vcdl coin, and later sent me a range pass. I remember spotting his Kimber across the counter and he was surprised I recognized it as such. As we talked before Ich, the owner came over, I think he showed me a picture of his daughters pink walther P22. I had been and still am a firearm enthusiast but up until that point, I had no clue about open carry. About 6 months after that, While at WVU, I found this website and worked out that the man who introduced himself as Ed, might be the one who posts so frequently here, this confirms it. Anyway Ichiro, who used to be the owner is a pretty nice guy and much more gun friendly now although his demeanor never suggests that he is friendly about anything, haha. His grandson, a friend of mine, now returned form the USAF open carries, as well as many of his friends who used to frequent the spot before it closed down. I myself open carry a glock 19 on occasion as school and work permit. Just thought yall might have wanted to know the outcome of Ed's encounter

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Hello, I am the YM who used to work at Millwaukee Frozen Custard. I remember this, and that Ed pretty much converted me on the spot. lol He gave me his OC cards with the do's and don'ts, and vcdl coin, and later sent me a range pass. I remember spotting his Kimber across the counter and he was surprised I recognized it as such. As we talked before Ich, the owner came over, I think he showed me a picture of his daughters pink walther P22. I had been and still am a firearm enthusiast but up until that point, I had no clue about open carry. About 6 months after that, While at WVU, I found this website and worked out that the man who introduced himself as Ed, might be the one who posts so frequently here, this confirms it. Anyway Ichiro, who used to be the owner is a pretty nice guy and much more gun friendly now although his demeanor never suggests that he is friendly about anything, haha. His grandson, a friend of mine, now returned form the USAF open carries, as well as many of his friends who used to frequent the spot before it closed down. I myself open carry a glock 19 on occasion as school and work permit. Just thought yall might have wanted to know the outcome of Ed's encounter

Hey! Nice to hear from you! I remember that night well.. Are you still in the area? We have a weekly open carry breakfast in Ashburn at the Coney Island Diner on Sunday's at 0900 (the breakfast is on Saturday when Sunday is a holiday, like today).

And I am SURE that your name fullCLIPemptygrave means like a stripper clip because I know you never meant it to mean MAGAZINE.

fullclipemptygrave

lol, funny you mention that, I wish I could say you are right and my screen name is in reference to the stripper clips used in my mosin nagant, the first gun I purchased for myself, unfortunately, however, I was referring to a magazine incorrectly because when I signed on, no one had corrected me up until that point. Sorry for take a year or so to respond, things are hectic at this point in my life.
best to all,
Peter

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
lol, funny you mention that, I wish I could say you are right and my screen name is in reference to the stripper clips used in my mosin nagant, the first gun I purchased for myself, unfortunately, however, I was referring to a magazine incorrectly because when I signed on, no one had corrected me up until that point. Sorry for take a year or so to respond, things are hectic at this point in my life.
best to all,
Peter

The place mentioned in this thread is no longer in existence either.

fullclipemptygrave

The place mentioned in this thread is no longer in existence either.

I was very sad when they sold/closed it. It was my first job, and in spite of holding a different job a year since it, (as well as cities I've lived in) I will miss it. Still friendly with the owners,who live down in NC now. Me and a couple fellow ex employees as well as their grandsons drove down to visit them (Open carrying all the way), they are doing well. Funny thing is it was leesburgs small town politics that was part of the reason they had to sell. I've not been impressed with the town lately, not to mention the mayor is with the Mayors Against Gun violence. Glad I'll be gone again by the end of the summer.