• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leos and the studying of the us constitution question..

countryclubjoe

Hi Folks..

Current LEO, ex LEO, if I may pose a question regarding the study of the US CONSTITUTION.

While in the police academy and or your respective police training facility. How many hours of your training were dedicated to studying the US Constitution? Were you graded on your knowledge thereof? Did that knowledge or lack thereof affect grade scores, graduation, etc?

Thank you in advance for your time and your reply's...

Best regards.

CCJ

Primus

2 weeks of class with 100ish question test on constitution all law. Same thing for criminal law. Con law focused on case law about searches seizures, when question has to stop, when you actually have made an arrest, public safety exemption, exigent circumstances, warrants, etc. Etc. List goes on.

Edit for correct amount of class.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

2 weeks of class with 100ish question test on constitution all law. Same thing for criminal law. Con law focused on case law about searches seizures, when question has to stop, when you actually have made an arrest, public safety exemption, exigent circumstances, warrants, etc. Etc. List goes on.

Seems pretty clear the question was put to law enforcement officers. Why is Pinus responding?

ETA: Oh, I see he didn't post that HE did 2 weeks of class. Maybe he THINKS police have 2 weeks of class. Sorry for jumping to the conclusion Primus had ever been to any class regarding law enforcement. His post are deceptive, and I know better than to take them at face value.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Seems pretty clear the question was put to law enforcement officers. Why is Pinus responding?

LOL, I wondered the same thing. I had 10 weeks at ISP Academy. I really don't remember how many hours were dedicated to the constitution, but case law mostly was based on the constitution, and law was probably half the course.

ETA: What state has ONLY a two week course? I am sure it is not Mass. but again I will look.

Recruit Officer Course Overview

The Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC), an agency of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS), serves the Commonwealth by establishing standards and providing training to full and part-time police officers throughout the Commonwealth. The scope of this training ranges from an intense, 800-hour/20-week basic training program for full-time entry-level municipal, University of Massachusetts, and Environmental Police officers. Reserve (part-time) police officers of municipal, University of Massachusetts, and Environmental Police receive a 315-hour (335 hours if armed) entry-level training program administered by regional police training organizations under contract with the MPTC at various locations throughout the Commonwealth. Recruit Officer Courses are also open to new officers from agencies outside of the MPTC’s mandate on a space-available basis. The MPTC also approves recruit academies run by municipal police departments statewide.

Can somebody say BUSTED?

Last edited:

Primus

LOL, I wondered the same thing. I had 10 weeks at ISP Academy. I really don't remember how many hours were dedicated to the constitution, but case law mostly was based on the constitution, and law was probably half the course.

ETA: What state has ONLY a two week course? I am sure it is not Mass. but again I will look.

Recruit Officer Course Overview

The Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC), an agency of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS), serves the Commonwealth by establishing standards and providing training to full and part-time police officers throughout the Commonwealth. The scope of this training ranges from an intense, 800-hour/20-week basic training program for full-time entry-level municipal, University of Massachusetts, and Environmental Police officers. Reserve (part-time) police officers of municipal, University of Massachusetts, and Environmental Police receive a 315-hour (335 hours if armed) entry-level training program administered by regional police training organizations under contract with the MPTC at various locations throughout the Commonwealth. Recruit Officer Courses are also open to new officers from agencies outside of the MPTC’s mandate on a space-available basis. The MPTC also approves recruit academies run by municipal police departments statewide.

Can somebody say BUSTED?

Lol ww your really this desperate?

Read the question... it asks "how many hours studying the US CONSTITUTION". It wasn't asking how many total hrs of the academy.

Lol I'm actually laughing right now at how hard your trying.

Ccj I apologize for the fools that follow me around. I understand your focus of the thread was supposed to be on leos knowing con law. I tried being helpful but its tough when you get harassed.

Yes I just used fools as a bash.

WalkingWolf

Nice try but no cigar, you said that you had two weeks of training, IMO you did not state you had two weeks of constitutional law training. Otherwise you would have clearly said so. YOU ARE BUSTED!

Primus

Nice try but no cigar, you said that you had two weeks of training, IMO you did not state you had two weeks of constitutional law training. Otherwise you would have clearly said so. YOU ARE BUSTED!

Ww I hope your investigation skills were better this back in the day.

The OP asked a very SPECIFIC question. So specific that it has US CONSTITUTION in bold AND reiterates US constitution again and asks about tests on said subject. So he got a specific answer back. A week of firearms and a weeks of evoc wouldn't be relevant nor any other subjects we studied.

So on that note I won't derail this thread anymore then you already did.

To the OP I apologize for even participating in that thread drift.

WalkingWolf

The OP asked a very SPECIFIC question. So specific that it has US CONSTITUTION in bold AND reiterates US constitution again and asks about tests on said subject. So he got a specific answer back. A week of firearms and a weeks of evoc wouldn't be relevant nor any other subjects we studied.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Even if I bought you trying to wiggle out of your post, it is highly unlikely in a 20 week course that only 80 hours were dedicated to case law. This is like all of your other claims that fall WAY short of making sense.

YOU ARE BUSTED!

fjpro2a

My vote is with WW

WalkingWolf gets my vote on this. Keep up the good work, WW

Fuller Malarkey

Isn't it fair to say you are .....thread drift?

Primus

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Even if I bought you trying to wiggle out of your post, it is highly unlikely in a 20 week course that only 80 hours were dedicated to case law. This is like all of your other claims that fall WAY short of making sense.

YOU ARE BUSTED!

So be ww you can disbelieve anything you want. Last I checked this thread was started with a specific idea in mind.

as always I really don't care if you believe me. Its 2 weeks whether you think its true or not. I am who I am and do what I do regardless of how much you harass and hound. Your completely irrelevant just like me. The only difference is your trying so hard to disprove me and I'm letting you make yourself look like an ass.

And that's that.

WalkingWolf

So be ww you can disbelieve anything you want. Last I checked this thread was started with a specific idea in mind.

as always I really don't care if you believe me. Its 2 weeks whether you think its true or not. I am who I am and do what I do regardless of how much you harass and hound. Your completely irrelevant just like me. The only difference is your trying so hard to disprove me and I'm letting you make yourself look like an ass.

And that's that.

You keep posting that you are a LEO, and your posts do not bear fruit to that. They have not since you showed up on the scene here. It is relevant to the thread because you are deceiving those that do not know. Again almost all police work is littered with case law, you have had a clear problem with knowing it. You do not provide cites to your claims only claims and when you do get lucky somebody else provides the cite FOR YOU.

I am glad you don't care, because IMO you have done a disservice to good police officers by trying to pose. With your credibility I really am not worried by more insults from you. In fact it is a badge of honor to expose another internet poser. Being ass is a compliment, much better than being a phony.

Last edited:

eye95

In context of being the first reply to direct question, this post is CLEARLY saying that cops get two weeks of constitutional law training.

I don't know how true this information is, but those who are characterizing this answer as anything other than the direct answer to the direct question in the first post about how much time LEOs get in constitutional law training is being dishonest and should be ashamed of their behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
<O>

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Did not say which constitution ... state, federal, russian ...

Not much you can cover in 2 weeks anyways ...

In 20 weeks(800 hours) only 80 hours on law and case law.:lol: Maybe in the military but Mass is a educational state, not a chance that only 80 hours on the law. AND only ONE test! :lol:

And remember that test was ONLY 100 questions. He claimed.:lol:

BUSTED!

Last edited:

Primus

To clarify that's just on constitutional law. There are 3 law tests. Con law, criminal law (state law) and motor vehicle law (chapter 90). Those are the three "big tests". Then there's numerous other shorter tests on various other specialty subjects. Sexual assault, domestic violence, firearms, evoc, DT, court systems, etc.

WalkingWolf

Snip~~"2 weeks of class with 100ish question test on constitution all law."

And now in 20 weeks you are claiming ONLY 3 tests on law!

Last edited:

eye95

To clarify that's just on constitutional law. There are 3 law tests. Con law, criminal law (state law) and motor vehicle law (chapter 90). Those are the three "big tests". Then there's numerous other shorter tests on various other specialty subjects. Sexual assault, domestic violence, firearms, evoc, DT, court systems, etc.

No point in going on. You are going to be called a liar by some in this thread no matter how you respond. You have answered the question. Time to let this thread go.

You have advocated thuggish cop behavior on this board, and that I cannot abide. However, you have been forthright and adult almost exclusively, and that gains my respect. The way some have acted toward you here is inexcusable. They do not paint RKBA advocates in a good light.

<o>

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Primus, you need to stop reacting to those few on here that are sitting there ready to pounce on your every word, who mis-characterize your statements and who take every opportunity to disparage you. This bickering and character assassination is doing nothing to promote an understanding between law-abiding citizens who carry and the LEOs who are trying to make a difference. It is obvious that you are not going to change their biases and, by responding, you are just feeding their animus. You can't win them over, stop trying, their minds are closed.

eye95

Primus, you need to stop reacting to those few on here that are sitting there ready to pounce on your every word, who mis-characterize your statements and who take every opportunity to disparage you. This bickering and character assassination is doing nothing to promote an understanding between law-abiding citizens who carry and the LEOs who are trying to make a difference. It is obvious that you are not going to change their biases and, by responding, you are just feeding their animus. You can't win them over, stop trying, their minds are closed.

This.

In line with a post I addressed to you in another thread: Primus, this is another poster you might trust.

<o>