• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT319

We were planning to go to Costco this evening. She gets home, and a minute later she says she'll be back in a little bit. Asked where she was going and she said "Costco". I said "I was willing to come with". She says "If you're going to carry that gun, I'm going to go by myself". "Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" I asked. "If you'll at least leave it in the car" she replies. "Cuz nothing could happen in the store, right?" There was more to the conversation/argument from there, but that's the gist of it.

This isn't the first time it's come up. First, she had been very resistant to me even getting the gun. I finally saved up the money over several months to afford it rather than dumping a chunk all at once. Then she wanted to set rules about when it should be out or loaded. I accepted them. Then she showed opposition to me getting a concealed carry permit. I'd been telling her for years that I wanted to get one, and gave her my reasons. Then I decided to open carry until I get my permit, since it's perfectly legal here. The first couple times I wore it out, she didn't even notice. Then when she finally did, she started to grouse about it. And now we've gotten to the point where this evening's situation happened.

So I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. I obviously don't want to completely piss my wife off, but I also feel strongly about my right to protect myself and those I care about, especially in today's age of random public mass shootings. She doesn't seem to understand that. I don't know if she thinks I'm trying to be some vigilante or something (which I'm not), but she seems to feel that my wanting to carry is irrational. She makes the point that we live in a safer city now, which we do (lived in Salinas, CA for years where gangs are terrible and crime is high; now live in Eugene, OR where crime is less and gangs are almost non-existent). I point out that the mall shooting a couple years back in Portland was a pretty safe place, not to mention Sandy Hook.

I just don't know what to say. I've tried "I hope you'll trust me to be responsible with it", that "just because we've never been the victim of violent crime thus far doesn't mean we never will be", the tried-and-true "I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it", that "crime happens everywhere, not just in bad areas". I can't tell her that I wouldn't go to someone else's aid if a shooting started but we were safe, because I AM the kind of person that would try to help others.

How do you all think I should proceed?

Primus

We were planning to go to Costco this evening. She gets home, and a minute later she says she'll be back in a little bit. Asked where she was going and she said "Costco". I said "I was willing to come with". She says "If you're going to carry that gun, I'm going to go by myself". "Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" I asked. "If you'll at least leave it in the car" she replies. "Cuz nothing could happen in the store, right?" There was more to the conversation/argument from there, but that's the gist of it.

This isn't the first time it's come up. First, she had been very resistant to me even getting the gun. I finally saved up the money over several months to afford it rather than dumping a chunk all at once. Then she wanted to set rules about when it should be out or loaded. I accepted them. Then she showed opposition to me getting a concealed carry permit. I'd been telling her for years that I wanted to get one, and gave her my reasons. Then I decided to open carry until I get my permit, since it's perfectly legal here. The first couple times I wore it out, she didn't even notice. Then when she finally did, she started to grouse about it. And now we've gotten to the point where this evening's situation happened.

So I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. I obviously don't want to completely piss my wife off, but I also feel strongly about my right to protect myself and those I care about, especially in today's age of random public mass shootings. She doesn't seem to understand that. I don't know if she thinks I'm trying to be some vigilante or something (which I'm not), but she seems to feel that my wanting to carry is irrational. She makes the point that we live in a safer city now, which we do (lived in Salinas, CA for years where gangs are terrible and crime is high; now live in Eugene, OR where crime is less and gangs are almost non-existent). I point out that the mall shooting a couple years back in Portland was a pretty safe place, not to mention Sandy Hook.

I just don't know what to say. I've tried "I hope you'll trust me to be responsible with it", that "just because we've never been the victim of violent crime thus far doesn't mean we never will be", the tried-and-true "I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it", that "crime happens everywhere, not just in bad areas". I can't tell her that I wouldn't go to someone else's aid if a shooting started but we were safe, because I AM the kind of person that would try to help others.

How do you all think I should proceed?

Have you taken her to the range? Show her you know how to handle to thing. Show her your safe with it and that its a tool like any other. Women are skeptical creatures by nature.

My wife was also pretty skeptical and would ask "why are you bringing that to x place". I would do it anyways and have done so for long enough that now its "why aren't you bringing it?". I gave her the NRA basic pistol course and she understands guns more. She still hates guns in general only because she's so passive she can't wrap her head around the idea of hurting someone with it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

conandan

That's a tricky situation. I think you should first talk to her and find out exactly what she thinks and how she feels about firearms. Find out if it is fear or if she just needs to be educated on firearms. Try to explain your feelings and why you choose to carry.

Be patient and expect to take some time for her to come around to it, if she ever does.

Rusty Young Man

Sorry, I cannot take her off your hands....

Lol. That is funny. Not to offend the OP, but I'll join in with "you may have lost the natural selection game with your choice of wife".;) But I kid. The heart knows no reason (*bites tongue to not finish the sentence about the anti-gun "reasoning" in the OP*).

To the OP: This is the best I can offer. Try "I don't think I could live with myself if a violent criminal took you from me." If you do it with puppy eyes and all, it should melt away her objections to you carrying.:)

That, or have her watch this YouTube video about how Suzanna Hupp lost her parents on a nice and quiet morning, in a nice and quiet diner, in a nice and quiet "safe" neighborhood while her gun was in her car in the parking lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis
[video=youtube;M1u0Byq5Qis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis[/video]

Last edited:

notalawyer

Then she wanted to set rules about when it should be out or loaded. I accepted them.

I spotted the problem!

Women, in general, are control freaks. You "gave in", which has now reinforced her behavior.

Try to get her to honestly tell you why she has a problem with it. I guarantee none of her responses will be logical, but will be based completely on feelings.

DaveT319

Thanks for the replies so far.

First, she knows I can shoot a gun. Back in '99 I graduated from a police academy. In the years following, I developed health issues that prevented me from pursuing that line of work. But I was definitely a capable shooter, and have kept in practice since then. I also took a concealed carry class last fall to be able to get my CHL, and was one of the top shooters in the class.

Next, she has shot handguns before. She doesn't much like them though. I think part of it is because her sister had a mishap when she was younger and blew off part of a finger.

I'll try having her watch the video.

Finally, I've been trying to explain my position, but she thinks I'M the one being irrational. I've told her I want to have a full-on discussion about it soon, but I've not yet figured out how I'm going to convince her that there's nothing crazy about me wanting to protect us.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Take it slowly, and do a lot of research of situations where you can show your wife that a gun saved a life. A good analogy is the seat belt, I don't plan on getting in a wreck, but I always wear a seat-belt and ensure all passengers do just in case. (I don't wear a seat belt because of the law, it is my choice on experience) Also do not OC in COSTCO, they are a gun free zone. (Please lets not derail this topic, and go off on the COSTCO subject)

ETA: No, they don't have any signs. They will wait till you are half way done shopping before any employee notices, and will then tell you to put it in the car. Some stores don't enforce it though.

Last edited:

DaveT319

Sorry, I have to take the tangent for a sec: Costco is gun-free? I looked the last time we went and I didn't see any signs to that effect. Maybe I just didn't look closely enough.

Rusty Young Man

Sorry, I have to take the tangent for a sec: Costco is gun-free? I looked the last time we went and I didn't see any signs to that effect. Maybe I just didn't look closely enough.

Correct about Cos... that wholesale store that must not be named. :lol:

Here are some of the more pertinent links I had on hand (I'm making it a mission to inform people about that particular company's stance, and they can make the decision to continue or stop patronizing on their own):
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?106653-COSTCO-no-firearm-policy

Another site:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...iscussions/140637-costco-firearms-policy.html

A response from corporate in 2006:
http://jpfo.org/alerts/alert20061031.htm

I'd recommend Sam's Club. Owned by the same people as Wal Mart, so they follow state law regarding firearms. I've personally OCed in two different Sam's here in AZ on more than eight different occasions (since I became a member of Sam's; their college membership).

Addendum: How did the "I don't think I could live with myself if a violent criminal took you from me" speech go? If you think about it, not wanting to live with the regret of not being able to save one of our loved ones IS one of the most important reasons some of us carry. In my case, at least, I wouldn't want my parents to have to weep over an ornate box containing the bruised remains of their son.

Last edited:

DaveT319

No Sam's Club here, so Costco is the only option for such a place. Though usually when I go there, I'm in our car so there is the ability to leave my gun there. But there are times when I go on my motorcycle (as I've brought up in another thread) and can't just leave it in my vehicle.

Anyway, that one is settled. Now back to the main topic: I've brought up the wearing the seatbelt, as well as wearing a helmet since I ride. I've pointed out that we don't use them for the crash we expect to happen, but for the crash that could happen. So far, that hasn't seemed to have swayed her.

scott58dh

Just put this ad in your local paper & see if you end up with anything better than what you have now. :lol:

clic on pic,,,
View attachment 11307

Really though, just show her some "Real Life Events", either here at OCDO or in the National News (Fox, Breitbart = Awr Hawkins,,,link;>> http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-To-Show-They-Aren-t-Going-To-Take-It-Anymore, The Truth About Guns, etc.) about how Real Regular People at least Once a week get to live Another Day because *They* were ready to defend themselves &/or loved ones Because they made a conscious choice to *Arm* themselves, she's gotta know that the BG's out there will Not hesitate to use a weapon on you/her if you have what They want.

Most important, be patient and supportive of her fears/concerns, it will change in due time.

Maverick9

If I was the OP's spouse, after reading his posts, I would not want him carrying a handgun either.

1. He mentions he'd be OK with leaving it in the car. Unattended gun!?
2. He mentions he'd insert himself into the situation to save someone else. Saving strangers!?

I think the OP should be asking himself why he wants to carry, and to align his priorities. He should NOT be doing things he wouldn't do unarmed.

FWIW.

solus

Personal Firearms/Guns In Costco Stores
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system...ZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2837

guess your partner was protecting your Costco membership...eh?

ipse

solus

that said, give your partner a NRA basic pistol class for a birthday, anniversary, or what the hell gift! then take the class with them and keep your mouth shut when they are shooting and let the instructor do the instructing.

if she doesn't appreciate the course and still feels uncomfortable around your firearms...you have tried and then have the talk...stifle it edith!

i liken it to trying to get your offspring to eating broccoli - you gotta try it once, then if you don't like it so be it, but you at least have to try it!

ipse

Last edited:

Kopis

Not trying to tell you how to live your life but here is where you went wrong. There is some good advice about taking her to range etc here but at the end of the day, the head of the household makes the final decision and it clearly isnt you.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Or how about just telling her: I'm carrying my gun...end of conversation. Don't like it..there's the door.

This will settle the matter.

But that's just me...Mr. Sensitive.

Last edited:

solus

Or how about just telling her: I'm carrying my gun...end of conversation. Don't like it..there's the door.

This will settle the matter.

But that's just me...Mr. Sensitive.

we have grown to appreciated that sensitive side of you...

ipse

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

No Sam's Club here, so Costco is the only option for such a place. Though usually when I go there, I'm in our car so there is the ability to leave my gun there. But there are times when I go on my motorcycle (as I've brought up in another thread) and can't just leave it in my vehicle.

Anyway, that one is settled. Now back to the main topic: I've brought up the wearing the seatbelt, as well as wearing a helmet since I ride. I've pointed out that we don't use them for the crash we expect to happen, but for the crash that could happen. So far, that hasn't seemed to have swayed her.

We're being asked to advise with limited information. Can you explain if the issue is the firearm being present, or is the issue you, present with a firearm?

If the objections are about you being the one carting around a firearm rather than the simple existence of a firearm in her world, it would help if you'd clarify what fuels her misgivings and objections. You state she's not ignorant of the basics of firearms, so I can only suppose her objections are not that the firearm will jump up on it's own and shoot someone. It may be as simple that this woman is uncomfortable with you being in her presence, or being seen in public with you, carrying a firearm. There's history, and we don't know what that history is.

Status
Not open for further replies.