• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holsters?

Savage14

Just was wondering if anyone here uses them and what brands they prefer. I used shoulder holsters in the militar and thought they were pretty comfortable and was planning on getting a set for concealed carry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just was wondering if anyone here uses them and what brands they prefer. I used shoulder holsters in the militar and thought they were pretty comfortable and was planning on getting a set for concealed carry.

Why do folks come to a board dedicated to the lawful open carrying of firearms and ask questions about carrying concealed? Especially when Google, which ought to be your friend, can help you locate so many boards dedicated to the subject of carrying concealed?

stay safe.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Why do folks come to a board dedicated to the lawful open carrying of firearms and ask questions about carrying concealed? Especially when Google, which ought to be your friend, can help you locate so many boards dedicated to the subject of carrying concealed?

stay safe.

I think sometimes people are comfortable with a group on a certain forum and if they have a question that is a bit afield of the forum topic but they know there are knowledgeable people on the subject where they are, they prefer to ask that group for opinions rather than go wandering around the internet to find a new forum to just ask one question. Maybe that's just me. :D

Primus

An interesting exercise with a gun holstered in a shoulder holster, or any holster but particularly other than a hip holster, is to install a laser pointer, like a bore sighting laser, and then draw and watch the muzzle sweep.

All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.
I second this. A great training technique. Also leave it on and see who it flags while in the holster

Savage14

Read OPie's other posts, in one of which he describes himself as a PTSD invalided non-com.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...id=92202&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1

let me guess you think im a lier and have to stoop down to you and show you proof. i can open or conceal carry all i want. i only asked a simple question of the use of a shoulder holster and now all of a sudden getting attack because im a vet and what i have written on other posts?!

How about some point me to the right direction to not be a member of this forum.

swinokur

Activist Member
On long driving trips, I use a shoulder holster. I don't conceal it. Who says it's just for concealment?. Stopped for lunch in Warrenton. No one said anything about it.

It was a Galco Miami Classic II BTW.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I have considered a shoulder holster over the years for certain situations, but the good ones are pricey and I would really like to try one I thought I want for a day before making a financial commitment.

Kopis

Why can the OP not ask a simple question? If you dont have anything to add, dont comment.

Ive contemplated getting one for years for driving and when i ride my motorcycle. I carry cross draw a lot in the car as well. OP, ive heard good things about the Galcos.

WalkingWolf

While I like crossdraw for certain weapons, I do not care much for shoulder holsters. In the summer the gun is right next to sweaty arm pit area. In the winter the rig is cumbersome to remove and put on over a coat. A shoulder holster adjusted for no coat then to heavy coat is near impossible. I do on occasion use bandoleer holsters which are much more accustomed to taking off and putting back on.

If you intend on carrying open I would suggest the bandoleer instead of the shoulder holster.

Spooler41

Shoulder Holster carry

I find shoulder holsters are my most comfortable mode of carry. I do a lot of driving daily ,and iwb and owb holsters
just don't cut it, they get fouled in the seat belt and are very uncomfortable on the hip. I can't speak for other state laws
but in Washington state a CCWP is required for carry in a vehicle, open or concealed. I've found over many years that
there is a time to open carry and a time to conceal carry, so I made sure I am always legal by having a CCWP.
I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

..............................Jack

Last edited:

decklin

I find shoulder holsters are my most comfortable mode of carry. I do a lot of driving daily ,and iwb and owb holsters
just don't cut it, they get fouled in the seat belt and are very uncomfortable on the hip. I can't speak for other state laws
but in Washington state a CCWP is required for carry in a vehicle, open or concealed. I've found over many years that
there is a time to open carry and a time to conceal carry, so I made sure I am always legal by having a CCWP.
I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

..............................Jack

It's a cpl. Not a ccwp. And you don't need one to open carry unloaded in the car.

OC for ME

Got one of these when I head out into the swamp while hunting for my P90. I prefer the pistol to be pointing down. Leather is pricey these days but...
http://www.shoulderholster.us/

Not a easy draw so I would not recommend a vertical rig for EDC...but, this is just me.

The below link lists the various manufacturers and has photos. (reference only, not a promotion of the site)
http://www.copsplus.com/shoulderholsters.php

Finally, got one of these when I hog hunt, or when I'm packing in on a elk hunt for several days. The variant I purchased does not interfere with backpack straps.
http://sale-fire.com/Tanker Holster?p=gcp&sf=48&gclid=COLk4JWsi8ECFQhbfgodg2EADw

I only EDC a OWB holster.

Good luck.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have always preferred horizontal shoulder holsters my self to vertical ones.

But I have friend that uses a nylon tanker model to carry his delta elite in while we are back backing seems to work well for him.

Primus

I have always preferred horizontal shoulder holsters my self to vertical ones.

But I have friend that uses a nylon tanker model to carry his delta elite in while we are back backing seems to work well for him.
I've used horizontal as well and nothing against against them, just a big fan of flagging everyone all around me.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If you dont have anything to add, dont comment.
Kopis you would lose a third of the comments on the board.

for driving and when i ride my motorcycle.
I OC with a fobus on the bike. No worries, no wear.

If you intend on carrying open I would suggest the bandoleer instead of the shoulder holster.
I have used both and you are spot on, the bandoleer is a better fit and draw.

I only EDC a OWB holster.
Absolutely.

WalkingWolf

I'm not either. One reason why I haven't bought a shoulder holster yet.

Years ago, a lot of years ago, I tried carrying my issued S&W model 39 in a shoulder holster. It did not conceal well, was a pain in the blank to draw from concealment, and made wearing a sport jacket three sizes too big mandatory. I traded it back to the armorer for a pancake holster for off duty.

Shoulder holsters with heavy guns for hunting are more comfortable, they are good for car carry. For me their usefulness ends there. Just about every gun made carry on the waist is better for gun access and concealing than shoulder holster. Car carry? Cross draw. Comfort for hunting? Bandoleer. Concealed? IWB or a slide/pancake holster.

And not to forget that quality shoulder holsters are about double the price of quality belt holsters.

ETA it did look kewl in the movies and on tv though...

Last edited: