• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overseas U.S. Citizen wants CPL that will be recognized in MI.

NHCGRPR45

agreed, no cop in MI would question a Non-resident permit, with a address in florida! there is no difference in appearance! only the addy gives it away! IMHO FL is being a prick, you are a US citizen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with legal address in FL!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO its a no brainer!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
As an expatriate U.S. Citizen (currently living in Thailand) who is a U.S. Citizen, I'm wondering if there is any State that will allow me to get a concealed pistol license (i.e. through the mail, without having to hop on a plane and show up in person).

I was born in Michigan and maintain a domicile in Florida (unfortunately I just found out that Florida will not let me 'renew' my existing CPL that expires this month - because I'm not physically 'residing' in the United States). I know I can open carry in Michigan when I visit family, but I'd like to have the CPL to avoid a felony should I mistakenly enter a GFZ or get in a car. For that matter, I guess I'd also need a CPL just to borrow a sidearm from a family member while in Michigan since all my pistols are in storage in Florida....bummer!

I know its a long-shot but I am nevertheless hoping that there might be a way, thanks!

How did the Florida concealed licensing people know that you were out of the country if everything else indicates that you live in Florida? It seems the only way that they would have been alerted was A), you explicitly told them or, B) you asked that the license be sent to a place out of the US.

sasha601

Michigan MCL Section 28.432a, Sec. 12a., paragraph h) states that requirement to obtain CPL does not apply to:

(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.

What is interesting is that statute does not define meaning of word "state". I think one has to use a common dictionary in this case. So, online Webster Dictionary defines "state" as a noun in 23 different ways. One of these are as follows:

"A politically organized body of people under a single government"

So, it looks to me if a person who lives in Thailand can obtain a "resident" CPL or CCW permit (or its equivalent), then this person can carry concealed legally in Michigan unless some Federal laws prevent this. I do not know if it is possible in Thailand, but, in some countries it is very possible. Switzerland, Israel and some other countries (surprisingly some former Eastern European countries) issue carry permits to residents.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Michigan MCL Section 28.432a, Sec. 12a., paragraph h) states that requirement to obtain CPL does not apply to:

(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.

What is interesting is that statute does not define meaning of word "state". I think one has to use a common dictionary in this case. So, online Webster Dictionary defines "state" as a noun in 23 different ways. One of these are as follows:

"A politically organized body of people under a single government"

So, it looks to me if a person who lives in Thailand can obtain a "resident" CPL or CCW permit (or its equivalent), then this person can carry concealed legally in Michigan unless some Federal laws prevent this. I do not know if it is possible in Thailand, but, in some countries it is very possible. Switzerland, Israel and some other countries (surprisingly some former Eastern European countries) issue carry permits to residents.

It COULD be an argument but USUALLY "state" with a lowercase "s" refers to a state within the US, "State" with a capital "S" refers to a country.