• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state ccw carry

scoobydoo6906

I am going to be visiting your fair state and I am considering carrying while their. So my question is are there any funny laws you have to adhere to or be aware of? any places that are out of bounds? thanks for all the help

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Generally there is no open carry in FL. Nothing too suprising about our CCW laws. No carry while in a bar but restaurant carry is allowed as long as you are not in the bar section.

http://opencarry.org/fl.html has the full list of places off limits.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Except under certain rare and limited circumstances, carrying of any kind is banned in FL. You'll need a Permit that is accepted by FL, and you'll have to hide it. There are still places that are off-limits to you, tho I'm not sure how that can be enforced since you would be concealing...

Even the Post Office Metal Detectors don't go off, er, uh, so I've heard....

Rich7553

Except under certain rare and limited circumstances, carrying of any kind is banned in FL. You'll need a Permit that is accepted by FL, and you'll have to hide it. There are still places that are off-limits to you, tho I'm not sure how that can be enforced since you would be concealing...

Even the Post Office Metal Detectors don't go off, er, uh, so I've heard....

That's because they aren't metal detectors, they are anti-theft devices similar to what are at most retail store doorways.

scoobydoo6906

fyi washington ccw permits are honored in your state. oh almost forgot, is florida a stand your gound state or duty to retreat state?

Last edited:

JeepSeller

Common misconception.

First image - Metal detector: Walk through style. We all know the hand held style. Uses magnetic properties to detect set levels of metallic density to trigger alarm.

Second Image - Loss prevention/anti-theft security gate. NOT a metal detector. Triggered by a companion device on the inventory to trigger alarm. Usually, a sticker affixed to stock or inventory or placed inside retail packaging. (see images #3 and #4)

Your gun cannot set off the anti-theft security gate unless it still has the companion device on it. (usually deactivated upon purchase) Many false alarms are set off by companion devices in or on purchased items that were not sufficiently deactivated upon purchase or companion devices on your person not affiliated with your purchase or items within that businesses inventory. (Example, inside shoes you bought 2 years ago seems to be a recurring culprit with those things. Or a heavy jacket with one of those little security devices still hiding in there somewhere)

Attachments

• walthrough.jpg
    walthrough.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 79
  • cbe9caa5_fc481c5e_0794_40de_9772_40d7dafae491.JPG
    cbe9caa5_fc481c5e_0794_40de_9772_40d7dafae491.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DR-label-Waterproof.jpg
    DR-label-Waterproof.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 1276916388553_hz-myalibaba-web15_3528.jpg
    1276916388553_hz-myalibaba-web15_3528.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Rich7553

anti-theft of what? What is in a PO to steal?

In my post office, there are stamp sets, first day covers, and uncut stamp sheets for collectors on pegs on the wall. There are also the occasional trinkets like Christmas ornaments, postage-oriented accessories and artwork, and stamp collector accessories.

Those items would typically have anti-theft tags on or in them and would trigger the sensors at the door.

JeepSeller

Or the one I stuffed into the folds of by buddy's wallet when he wasn't looking one day... :lol:

NICE! I'll have to remember that one. LOL Actually, I've got a roll of those security stickers laying around from an out of biz video store I helped clean out for the property owner. I have no idea if they work or not, but, I'm thinking it's time to find out. LOL

Rich7553

NICE! I'll have to remember that one. LOL Actually, I've got a roll of those security stickers laying around from an out of biz video store I helped clean out for the property owner. I have no idea if they work or not, but, I'm thinking it's time to find out. LOL

That's cold!

JeepSeller

That's cold!

I'd only do it to a very good friend, and only in a store that belongs to another good friend. So, the only damage is brief embarrassment with other customers around. (most we know anyway).

Or, not so brief. When, I hide about 20 of them in various places...his backpack, the back cover of his cellphone, the inside lining of his hat...etc..etc. *evil grin*

OK..yea..I concede....cold. LOL

Edit: Sorry for the thread drift mods. Mostly my fault this time.

Last edited:

JeepSeller

But they don't sell anything that has those devices on them, odd.....

They probably do, not all the devices that are affixed to the inventory is so easily detectable. Some are incorporated into the actual bar-code within the retail packaging. The two example pictures I put up of the companion devices are just two examples. This stuff gets MUCH more advanced. It just depends on how much one wants to spend, and how hard one wants to work to keep shoplifting down.

Finally, it's not always about shoplifting and retail inventory. Many places use the same system for internal audit stuff. For example, many companies use the same system to keep track of proprietary items. For example, WalMart will often put those little things inside that carry basket you grab on the way in the door when you don't need a whole shopping cart. You won't get past the door with those carry baskets.

A company might use a similar system to keep track of a fleet of work vans. MUCH cheaper than a GPS system and since it's ancient old technology, it just works.