• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please read and sign this petition!! To fire and prosecute officer Harless of Canton

IxionDeece

Please read and sign this petition!! To fire and prosecute officer Harless of Canton OH PD

http://www.change.org/petitions/wil...k&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=own_wall

To those of you who are not currently aware of this situation. This is not entirely about open carry, but it does apply to everyone in the manner of how this officer acted. This petition has been created to dismiss and prosecute Officer Harless.

Thank you for your help.

eye95

Please post a link to the text of the petition. We are being asked at the link to sign a petition that is not presented on that page.

Furthermore, the link on that page will not work for me unless I disable noScript. I will do this for the odd page here or there that I have no reason to fear. However, this page uses about 50 other sites in its Java Script. Enabling all those sites is a risk I will not take.

Please link a page that contains both the text of the petition and the signature form.

IxionDeece

ww.change.org/petitions/william-j-healy-canton-police-dept-dismiss-officer-harless-prosecute-him?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=own_wall

see if this works, just add a "w" at the beginning

eye95

ww.change.org/petitions/william-j-healy-canton-police-dept-dismiss-officer-harless-prosecute-him?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=own_wall

see if this works, just add a "w" at the beginning

It is the same useless page. Please cite a page that has the text of the petition on it and doesn't produce a list of dozens of pages of Java script blocked by NoScript. I won't sign a petition for which I have not read the text.

Frankly, considering how many sites this site uses with layers of embedded Java script, I don't think I will sign that petition. Who knows what all that programming will do to my computer if I enable it. Since I installed NoScript, I haven't had one single virus on my computer. Near as I can figure, that must be about 10 years. I am not going to undo all that by visiting a single site that uses scripts from Heaven-knows-who.

cyras21

The petition...

PETITION LETTER
Dismiss officer Harless & Prosecute him

Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: William J. Healy & Canton Police Dept..

----------------
Dismiss officer Harless & Prosecute him

This kind of abuse on the side of the Canton Police Dept. can no longer be accepted. Its becoming very difficult to tell which side we should be more afraid of, the police or the criminals.
----------------

Sincerely,

[Your name]

eye95

Great.

Now, if that appeared on a recognized and respected petition site, without dozens of calls to other sites and running their scripts on my computer, with the signature form and the text of the petition on the same page, there would be a chance that I'd sign it.

As it stands now, I'm not just worried about SPAM, I'm thinking SCAM.

ManInBlack

Is it just me, or shouldn't the petition include a description of the egregious abuse, rather than just calling for his removal?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Online petitions are generally ignored. That's a natural fact.
In a situation like this one, the only people that would really impact the department would be folks that are registered voters of that jurisdiction. How can they verify whether a signer of a petition is even registered to vote? Only when it is a proper petition, on paper and can be verified through their own voter registration.

Think of it this way; why on earth should Canton Ohio care what anybody thinks in another state? They are not paying taxes to the Canton P.D., so those would simply be expressing an opinion.

The only real impact on these guys would be from actual letters or an actual petition with actual voters from their own actual jurisdiction, and to some degree, others in the state of Ohio. Any online petition will simply be ignored unless it contains verifyable information, such as name and address of the signator. When doing this online, you are giving access to a possible identity theft ring! How do you know?

Second, and more importantly, a physical letter or physical petition delivered to the hand of a minor offical (i.e. Police Chief) should ask for specific remedy and what alternatives will be pursued if satisfaction is not attained. i.e.: Recall elections for the mayor and his entire city council. That tends to get attention, especially when accompanied by several hundred letters.

Ask yourself this: What's going to make a difference? One online petition with unverifable names?
Or several hundred letters from irate voters that land on your desk?

Unfortunately, we are (as a society) just too complacent and lazy to be bothered with writing a letter. In this age of instant gratification, satisfaction on demand, anything that takes a little effort is just not going to get very far. People are happy to slap a finger down on that enter key, but beyond that, aren't all that motivated to take a stand. Why, doing something proactive (like marching or demonstrating) might cause me to miss American Idol or mow the lawn! I can't be bothered to write a letter today, I worked hard and Nancy Grace is on the tube!

This may sound rather cynical, but them's the berries. People just don't get their dander up enough to do anything about it, which is precisely why we see incidents like this increasing with the passage of time. "Why, what you gonna do about it? Start an online petition???" maybe being the last words you hear before a baton comes down on your skull.

We hear how "they've taken our rights", but the reality is there are too few willing to take a stand for their rights and speak out loudly when they are encroached upon.

That's my opinion anyhow, and I appreciate your patience.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Petitions are not what I want. I want a prosecutor to go after this pos on felony charges of criminal threatening and the poor schmuck to file suit in Federal Court under 42 USC 1983 against this psychopath. Petitions won't accomplish either.

TFred

Howdy Folks!
Online petitions are generally ignored. That's a natural fact.
If the opinions and expressions thereof from "outsiders" don't matter, why did the city councilman go off half-cocked about all the opinions and expressions he was getting on this matter?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...h-council-president-lashes-out-at-cop-critics

Public opinion matters. Especially when it reaches a self-sustaining critical mass. We've seen it countless times.

I'm not endorsing this particular petition, etc, I'm just saying, such endeavors may not be completely without value.

TFred

IxionDeece

Sorry if I have not been able to keep up with everything. I do not often have the chance to get on here. And to those of you that helped with the computer stuff...thank you.

M-Taliesin

If the opinions and expressions thereof from "outsiders" don't matter, why did the city councilman go off half-cocked about all the opinions and expressions he was getting on this matter?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...h-council-president-lashes-out-at-cop-critics

Public opinion matters. Especially when it reaches a self-sustaining critical mass. We've seen it countless times.

I'm not endorsing this particular petition, etc, I'm just saying, such endeavors may not be completely without value.

TFred

Howdy TFred!
It is one thing to post a story about the guy's remarks, as you did. It is another to listen to what he actually said, in his own voice. I believe it is abundantly clear that they DO NOT care about outside opinion whatsoever:

[video=youtube;vBfpBxY2J00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfpBxY2J00&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Assuming you have listened to this man's statements, I figure you've got your answer.
Corrpution starts at the top, and trickles down from there.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

okboomer

Transcript, just in case

Oh, yeah, he is not for gun control, just reasonable gun control:

"Canton City Council President Alan Schulman: from AM 640 WHLO News

You know we are all honored and priveledged to serve the uh city and it's citizens and there has been a recent attention drawn to one of our police officers regarding the carrying a concealed weapon that drew many out of town emails.

I have been as a lawyer on both sides of police issues. I have represented true victims of police abuse and I have defended
police officers against unwarranted charges challenging their behavior.

I don't intend to make any comments tonight about this particular incident or this particular police officer or the person
that was stopped.

But I did want to make a comment reflecting the out of town emails that we have all received from people who do not live
in this community, do not know our police, do not know the firefighters, do not know our public servants, our employees, know nothing about the city of Canton. But because a video went viral on the internet they are excoriating the city of Canton out of this particular incident and their excoriating our police force, it's conduct and our city. I take very strong exception to what I have read, what I have heard from out of towners making comments about our city.

This is, in my judgement, a sympton of this arming, literally the arming of our population with handguns and the flooding of
handguns into our communities. These laws that allow our citizens to carry a concealed weapon at a university, in a school, in a bar where a liquor is served, in automobiles in the worst part of our neighborhoods where there is high crime, drugs, prostitution and somebody is packing a ruger at 1:30 in the morning. That's not acceptable in our society.

And I told one caller who called me from Phoenix, AZ yesterday who complained about our police and this particular incident,
I said to him, "You want to know something my friend, you can blame our city, but you're next." Because as long as these laws permit people to carry weapons under the worst of circumstances and in the worst situations there are deaths waiting to happen, either police officers or citizens who think by arming themselves they are somehow safe.

So, my only remarks tonight are designed to those out of town people who are complaining about our police department
and our city. Believe me, if you allow the kind of carry concealed weapons laws that are in existanc in Ohio and are all over the United States you're going to have the same problems over and over again and deaths will result.

Finally, I, just for those people who are going to say that I am against guns, I am not against weapons, I am not against hand guns, I am not against people that hunt with weapons, but we all should believe in common sense, reasonable gun control laws that don't allow this kind of thing to happen at 1:30 in the morning in a crime ridden neighborhood with prostitution and drugs when we sit every week and listen to our citizens step forward saying "we want to be protected." Well, we are being protected. And I know the police department and the safety director and the mayor will investigate this thoroughly and thats one of the benefits of having a video that allows our citizens some transparency as to what happens in these stops. But these laws are completely insane."

Nope, he is not against handguns, just against anyone other than police to have them and carry them ... especially at 1:30 AM!

Look out, citizens of Canton, your City Council DOES NOT support your 2A rights!

Last edited:

DocWalker

Yes he wants you to be unarmed so you can be under the protection of one officer that would like to empty his gun into you and his partner that knows and says nothing, provided they are there when you need them. What he is saying is similar to what some political party said in 1935 in Germany, "trust us give us your arms and we will protect you".

Also this isn't the first, second, or third incident with this cop. Sounds like the city is protecting its pitbull....auuuurrrrrgggg

Huck

These laws that allow our citizens to carry a concealed weapon at a university, in a school, in a bar where a liquor is served, in automobiles in the worst part of our neighborhoods where there is high crime, drugs, prostitution and somebody is packing a ruger at 1:30 in the morning. THAT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE IN OUR SOCIETY.

No Schulman, it's not acceptable to YOU! Being in a dangerous area at any time of the day/night is when one is most likely to need a handgun. And if you take offense to how people around the country feel about your PD then maybe you should clean house. But you choose instead to blame law-abiding concealed carriers for the problem when the real problem is a thug in your PD that neither you or the police chief seem to have any inclination to do anything about. Schulman, THAT is what's not acceptable in our society!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Oh, yeah, he is not for gun control, just reasonable gun control...

Sadly, his "facts" read like he read them from a Brady propaganda handbook. He should try some actual facts for a change, such as those demonstrating how relaxing gun control among honest, law-abiding citizens is strongly correlated with decreases in crime, rather than the increases he wrongly purports.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just as long as they keep that ignorant mentality in Ohio and it doesn't follow Ohioans as they migrate to Virginia, then it's their problem. Although, I would love to see many thousands of Ohioans descend upon their state legislature in peaceful arms, demanding they adhere to the covenants passed down from our Founders.