• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen. Kline talks about his decision to stop gun legislation

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Kline is an idiot plain and simple, anti gun bs.
If I remember correctly he move the assault weapons ban bill ahead by just stating it was a majority instead of taking a count and clearly it was not, he will lie and lie and lie.

NRA Link
Anti-gun state Senator Adam Kline (D-37) and two other state Senators have introduced Senate Bill 6628, an unnecessary firearm storage bill, in an attempt to exploit the recent tragic shooting at a Bremerton elementary school.

SB 6628 would single out firearms in the Washington statutes and make it a crime if a child obtains access to a loaded firearm that was stored in a location where the person reasonably knows that a child is likely to gain access. This is already covered in Washington’s Reckless Endangerment statute!

The only reason to push this duplicative law is to demonize firearms in Washington law. Fatal firearm accidents are at an all-time low. If Senator Kline really cared about saving children, rather than trying to exploit this tragedy to attack firearms, he would be targeting poisons, items that suffocate children and objects on which kids choke because all three cause more accidental deaths to children than firearms. But we know that Senator Kline, who sponsored the semi-auto ban two years ago, is only interested in banning firearms and making life miserable for law-abiding gun owners.

This legislation is a knee-jerk response to the tragic shooting of an 8-year old girl by a 9-year old boy at a Bremerton school last week. Rather than go after firearms, Senator Kline might better spend his time going after people like the boy’s mother, whose lengthy criminal record included possession of meth, marijuana delivery and forgery. The boy found the gun, which allegedly belongs to the mother’s criminal boyfriend, during an unsupervised visit to her house.

There are nine days left in the 2012 legislative session. It is critical that you call AND e-mail your state Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to oppose Senate Bill 6628. To determine your state Senator, please click here. You can also leave your state Senator a short message on the toll-free legislative hotline at (800) 562-6000.

Additionally, call Senator Adam Kline TODAY in his Capitol office at (360) 786-7688 and let him know, respectfully, that you are appalled at his exploitation of the little girl in this recent tragic incident to further his gun control agenda. Ask each of your family and friends to also call Senator Kline so he will get the message loud and clear that law-abiding firearm owners are tired of his shameless attacks on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

Wow. He sounds like he's done being reasonable...

Gunshow loophole? What's that? Considering that any FFL dealer selling guns at a gunshow still must run a NICS check on anyone buying a gun... And considering that private sales of firearms between private parties (not involving any FFL transfer) are already legal without any background check, how does doing this kind of business at a gunshow make anything any different?

He's a moron who needs to look into the laws that the state already has.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Gunshow loophole? What's that? Considering that any FFL dealer selling guns at a gunshow still must run a NICS check on anyone buying a gun... And considering that private sales of firearms between private parties (not involving any FFL transfer) are already legal without any background check, how does doing this kind of business at a gunshow make anything any different?

Gunshows are designed to accommodate the non-FFL & FFL sellers. Right now, private parties can but or sell w/o background checks in many states. So I agree ... all a gun show does is bring these people together.

And as a private citizen, you are just selling your property .. nothing more.

PLUS FFLS still have to do the B/R checks so he does not know what he is talking about ..

And I think this was a video from last year's session , not this years

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

The Dems crowing about closing the "gun show loophole' is REALLY about them ending ALL private party sales.

Bucks Gun Shop

Pointed out that he was "uncomfortable" passing the law that adopted the federal standard for suppressors because "they can be used in a crime"... Well, so can a crescent wrench... Guess we better outlaw those too!!! What a hoplophobe... :shocker::shocker:

Whitney

Long winded email exchange with Senator Kline. / Attempt at futility, my last

I have been on travel all week with no email access. I appreciate your time and interest. I believe the answer to your question is that you and I approach the problem from two fundamentally different angles. This may be kind of long winded but is necessary to explain my rationale.

The Washington Arms Collectors, (WAC) gun show has a membership requirement for sales of firearms please see the bylaws and membership requirements on their page. I also believe the membership requirement is a reasonable method to prevent felons / bad guys from purchasing firearms. WAC clearly prohibits the sale of firearms to known felons by imposing mandatory background checks for membership albeit this is not re-checked at every sale. This membership requirement is pretty much the same thing we do for issuing a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) or any Federal Firearms License (FFL). I would be interested to understand your perspective with regard to this membership caveat as instituted by WAC.

It was not illegal for Mr. Loughner to purchase a firearm at the time he purchased it, how would you propose to make it illegaller for felons, minors, and mentally defective persons to purchase firearms? We already have laws in place for that, I just do not understand your angle of approach.

With regard to the local shooting, it is tragic but It is my belief incidents like this could be prevented by education such as the Eddie Eagle program, which basically died in committee a few years ago as (HB2011) & (HB3100). Do you see this as reasonable legislation to prevent incidents like the one you describe?

I do not believe the legislature is going “take people’s guns” or “drive them out of business,” regardless of what the NRA or any other organization claims.
I do believe the road to hell is paved with good intentions and this is exactly why I want to understand your position and intentions, as do other gun rights advocates.

Very Respectfully,
Whitney Slater

http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/shows.htm
6. Firearm sales to — or purchases from — non-members or persons prohibited by law from firearms ownership/possession are totally forbidden. Violation will lead to immediate and permanent expulsion as a member of WAC.

Further WAC membership is contingent upon the following;
  • You must have a background check performed or provide proof of clear background with your application. This is achieved via one of the following options:
    • Current dealer license.
    • Current C&R license.
    • Current Law Enforcement ID.
    • Current CPL (Concealed Pistol License)
    • State-issued firearm ownership ID (if applicable from applicant's state of residence).
    • Include an additional $12.00 background check processing fee.
NOTE: If you let your WAC membership expire and/or you are late in renewing your application, you will need to repeat one of the above options.

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:02 AM
To: 'Whitney Slater'
Subject: RE: YouTube: Sen. Adam Kline talks about his decision to stop gun legislation

No, we needn’t prohibit private sales at gun shows. Gun shows are supposedly FOR private sales. This is the kind of propaganda the NRA spews. By persuading its followers of that line, and making it then seem that we urban legislators want to “take people’s guns” or “drive them out of business,” the NRA gets its followers so outraged that they lose their capacity for rational thought. The only sales we want to prevent are to felons, minors, and the mentally ill who have been found by a judge to be “dangerous to self or others.” And all we want to do is to screen sales at gun-shows through the existing background-check, which takes a few minutes. Congress purposely left it open for states to do that, and some have.

Let’s consider the recent tragedy in your area, involving the accidental shooting of a nine-year-old girl. The NRA opposed a bill in 2005 that would have made it a misdemeanor—just a misdemeanor—to allow a child under 12 to get hold of a loaded gun without adult supervision. It’s been my personal observation in my 15 years in the Senate that conservatives believe more strongly than liberals do in the curative power of criminal laws, that the threat of prison makes people behave. Yet conservatives rallied by the NRA succeeded in opposing this bill. Why?

Adam Kline

Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:59 PM
To: Kline, Sen. Adam
Cc: Rolfes, Sen. Christine
Subject: YouTube: Sen. Adam Kline talks about his decision to stop gun legislation

Mr. Kline, I am profoundly offended and saddened by your decision. I agree with you there should be a way to keep gang members from purchasing weapons at a gun show, but it is not as simple as it seems. The only logical way to prevent this is to prohibit private sales at gun shows. As you must know a private sale does not require a background check, I believe the gun rights community views this as the first step to prohibit private sales outside of the gun show. If you truly want to get some traction on your bill I suggest a dialogue with the gun rights community. If you are interested in pursuing such a dialogue I would be happy to help facilitate it.

Very Respectfully
with my phone number

Feel free to call me anytime.

~Whitney

SB 5739: Revising provisions relating to renewing a concealed pistol license by members of the armed forces.

HB 2226: The procedures for a retired officer to apply to a local law enforcement agency for issuance of a firearms certificate.

HB 1041: Correctional personnel and community corrections officers who have completed government sponsored law enforcement firearms training are exempt from restrictions on carrying a concealed pistol and carrying a pistol in a vehicle.

Those 3 do not count as helping gun owners.
They are self-serving laws that simply reward government employees.

Tawnos

No, we needn’t prohibit private sales at gun shows. Gun shows are supposedly FOR private sales. This is the kind of propaganda the NRA spews. By persuading its followers of that line, and making it then seem that we urban legislators want to “take people’s guns” or “drive them out of business,” the NRA gets its followers so outraged that they lose their capacity for rational thought. The only sales we want to prevent are to felons, minors, and the mentally ill who have been found by a judge to be “dangerous to self or others.” And all we want to do is to screen sales at gun-shows through the existing background-check, which takes a few minutes. Congress purposely left it open for states to do that, and some have.

Does Kline even realize he's being dishonest? His first sentence and penultimate sentence are in contradiction. A private sale is necessarily one without a background check, because background checks are not available to private citizens, only to FFLs. An attempt to require background checks for private sales, such as those that happen at a gun show, is an attempt to prohibit PRIVATE sales.