• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 563: Concealed handgun permits; application procedures.

TFred

SB 563: Concealed handgun permits; application procedures.

Concealed handgun permits; application procedures. Alters certain application procedures to obtain a concealed handgun permit, including allowing for the submission of an initial application via U.S. mail. The bill also restricts the clerk and the circuit court from requesting or requiring any information from an applicant other than that which is allowed on the concealed handgun permit application.

Very interesting! Full text not available at time of OP.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now I'd be impressed greatly if the application could be submitted by email! Can't think of a single reason why it should not be so.

TFred

Bill amended to remove the US Mail application option.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+sum+SB563

Passed Senate 32-8 today. About the only thing left is that they've added a clause prohibiting the clerks from requesting or requiring anything not in the law. That will be good for those who live in areas where the clerks can't read, although, there still aren't any teeth in it.

Also requires them to mail it to you.

TFred

Felix

My initial VA resident CHP was accomplished totally via mail. The application was notarized by one of our admin assistants with notary authority and I mailed it off with a check (or maybe a money order was required, don't recall) and the paperwork documenting my exemption from the class. Permit was issued and mailed back to my home address in a month or so.

So I don't understand this bill since mail-in applications were already being processed and approved...at least they were in my gun-friendly county.

And now do I understand correctly that mail-in applications will no longer be accepted as a result of this unnecessary bill being reworked? Dumb.

At least it appears to put the on kibosh fingerprinting which some localities took it upon themselves to require outside of the Commonwealth requirement. And an end to the requirement of some jurisdictions to submit the application and additional forms in multiple copies. If they really need in multiple copies, then they can assign someone in the office to man a copy machine. Wonder how many jurisdictions will suddenly decide that wasn't needed after all when it starts costing them time and money?

TFred

See my responses in blue!

TFred

My initial VA resident CHP was accomplished totally via mail. The application was notarized by one of our admin assistants with notary authority and I mailed it off with a check (or maybe a money order was required, don't recall) and the paperwork documenting my exemption from the class. Permit was issued and mailed back to my home address in a month or so.

So I don't understand this bill since mail-in applications were already being processed and approved...at least they were in my gun-friendly county.

Nothing currently prohibits it, but nothing currently requires them to accept an application by mail either.

And now do I understand correctly that mail-in applications will no longer be accepted as a result of this unnecessary bill being reworked? Dumb.

No, removing the requirement to accept by mail doesn't mean they are no longer allowed to do so.

At least it appears to put the on kibosh fingerprinting which some localities took it upon themselves to require outside of the Commonwealth requirement.

Nothing in this bill about fingerprinting, but the bills that eliminate the fingerprint option for localities are both doing quite well in their respective houses.

And an end to the requirement of some jurisdictions to submit the application and additional forms in multiple copies. If they really need in multiple copies, then they can assign someone in the office to man a copy machine. Wonder how many jurisdictions will suddenly decide that wasn't needed after all when it starts costing them time and money?

Yes! This does appear to be still in the bill!

TFred

Been keeping my eye out, the Governor signed this bill yesterday.

03/20/12 Governor: Approved by Governor-Chapter 291 (effective 7/1/12)

This should fix all the localities that like to ask or require you to submit multiple copies or who knows what else along with the CHP application.

One thing we never really discussed much, they added this to Paragraph D:

The court shall issue the permit via United States mail...

Which I suppose means that you can no longer go pick it up on the day it's signed. It's worded as shall, not may, so that seems to say no choice in the matter. Although I wouldn't be surprised if in most locations, they might still let you come get it. I wonder what the need was to add this. Were some places requiring you to pick it up in person?

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been keeping my eye out, the Governor signed this bill yesterday.

03/20/12 Governor: Approved by Governor-Chapter 291 (effective 7/1/12)

This should fix all the localities that like to ask or require you to submit multiple copies or who knows what else along with the CHP application.

One thing we never really discussed much, they added this to Paragraph D:

The court shall issue the permit via United States mail...

Which I suppose means that you can no longer go pick it up on the day it's signed. It's worded as shall, not may, so that seems to say no choice in the matter. Although I wouldn't be surprised if in most locations, they might still let you come get it. I wonder what the need was to add this. Were some places requiring you to pick it up in person?

TFred

I think that was the case TFred. I believe that some clerks even wanted to photocopy your ID (driving license) before releasing the permit.

Unintended consequence? How will the 45 day time limit to issue the permit be effected? - From the date the clerk mails it or the date you received it? The first can be ascertained by post mark the latter is not really verifiable. Hmmm - see new response possible from clerks not wanting to be hassled: The [strike]check[/strike] permit is in the mail. No really it is, I mailed in myself.

Would have been much better if the option had been left to the applicant. At least this will do away with the condition where some clerks (Fairfax?) were asking for a SASE to deliver the permit.

Then if you don't receive the permit, what are your options? Apply for a duplicate? How do you ask for a duplicate for something you never had? I know, I know, it is presumed that if it was mailed, you got it. After all, the U.S. mail is so safe - maybe they'll mail it in a plain brown envelope/wrapper. :p