• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eugene Volokh published first law school textbook on Second Amendment

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://volokh.com/2012/05/15/new-te...econd-amendment-regulation-rights-and-policy/

The first law school textbook on the Second Amendment is now available from Aspen Publishers. The co-author are Nick Johnson (Fordham), Michael O’Shea (Oklahoma City), George Mocsary (Connecticut), and me. Here’s the publisher’s page for the textbook, from which professors can request a free review copy. The book is also available for civilian purchase from Amazon ($168.47 list price - only 2 left as of 5/16/12)
We also have our own website for the book http://firearmsregulation.org/ . There, you can read the detailed Table of Contents, and the Preface. The website is in an early stage of development; eventually, it will include detailed research guides and topic suggestions for students who are writing seminar papers.

Besides the 11 chapters in 1,008 pages of the printed book, there will also be four more on-line only chapters, available to purchasers of the printed book. These chapters will be: 12, Social science about firearms policy. 13, International law. 14, Comparative law. 15, A detailed explanation of firearms and their function. (Chapter 1 of the printed book provides a brief explanation of firearms and their function; the on-line chapter will go into much greater detail [e.g., what is a lever action gun?], and will have illustrations and photos.)

Finally, Firearms Law is the first law school textbook to be the subject of a podcast series. The published podcasts are: Chapter 3, The Colonies and the Revolution. Chapter 2, Antecedents of the Second Amendment: From Confucius to the British Whigs. Chapter 1, An introduction to firearms laws and firearms function. As the summer progresses, we will be adding more, and some chapters may have more than one. Thus far, all the podcasts are interviews of me, but as we make our way through the book, other co-authors will also appear in the podcasts.

Be still my beating heart. And let me win the lottery so I can afford a copy. I do not qualify for any student loans, and could not pay them back if I did.

stay safe.

stay safe.

paramedic70002

Well it sounds like it would be a blast to read but I'm not a budding legal gun scholar so I fear a fair bit of it will be dry legalese for the layman. I wonder if there exists, or if this textbook could be rewritten, a comprehensive history of gun law history at the high school or undergraduate reading level so that the masses could avail themselves?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Once upon a time we might have petitioned our public libraries to stock an author like Professor Eugene Volokh. Now we get Baraka Hussein Obama and J/K Rowling.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well it sounds like it would be a blast to read but I'm not a budding legal gun scholar so I fear a fair bit of it will be dry legalese for the layman. I wonder if there exists, or if this textbook could be rewritten, a comprehensive history of gun law history at the high school or undergraduate reading level so that the masses could avail themselves?

It's not all in one book like the lawschool text tries to accomplish, but John Lott is a good place to start. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=john+lott [strike]Many[/strike] Some of his stuff may be in your local library, or available on inter-library loan from BigCity Public Library. Some of his more academic stuff might be found at the library of a nearby college/university. Often you can get borrowing privileges on your local public library card.

Once you wade through the stuff on the page cited, check out the "what other stuff people have ordered who ordered this stuff" links. It probably will be a rabbit hole for your time, but worth it if only for the exposure to what's out there.

stay safe.