• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a house in a school zone --- problem???

ooghost1oo

Hey guys. (Colorado Springs)

Looking at buying a house that is roughly 1000 feet from an Elementary School, give or take, (so it's important, right?), and the street 'school zone' stuff ("slow" painted on the asphalt, flashing lights, etc.) are out in front of the property on the street.

Do I have to worry about Open Carry restrictions here? Or is it not an issue if it's on my property? Any other gun law problems here?

Thanks. Speedy response appreciated--making an offer tomorrow.

Keens

You can carry however you want on your property. As far as OC say out in the street or the sidewalk, i believe if you have your CHP that it exempts you from the 1k foot rule provided you are not on the school property itself. The 1k foot rule starts at the end of the school property and not the school building itself. I ain't a lawyer, so you may want to check. If you're quite a ways away (say 700') from the school property itself, I wouldn't fret it. I've never heard of someone being charged for simply violating the 1k foot rule without commuting another crime such as drug dealing. Maybe someone will chime in with more insight into this.

Congrats on buying a home!

Keens

PikesPeakMtnMan

Keens pretty much got it right. With a CHP you're exempt from the federal law about the 1000' school zone (and CO has no such state law), without a CHP you really don't have anything to worry about anyway. The chances of even coming on any federal LEOs radar for the school zone is virtually nonexistent.

Any road markings/signs for a school zone have nothing to do with gun laws...they are there to warn drivers that a school is nearby and kids might be walking along and crossing the street.

Bellum_Intus

This is a direct quote off of the pamphlet I received TODAY from the Sheriffs office during my application for my CHP..

"Can I carrry concealed on school grounds?"
No, Statute 18-12-105.5
Carrying a concealed weapon on your person on public school grounds is a felony in the State of Colorado, regardless of whether you have a permit. (Security Guards employed by the school district are excepted)
However, a permitee may have a handgun on the real property of the school so long as the handgun remains in his/her vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked. Statute 18-12-214

I assume this only applies to school grounds and not the 1000' rule

--Rob

Last edited:

wmodavis

I believe Keens is right on. Get a CO CHP if you do not have one.

Keens

I believe Keens is right on. Get a CO CHP if you do not have one.

That's the main reason I got a CHP, so I don't have to worry about school zones and being able to carry in places like Denver is a bonus. I believe in CC...

Constitutional Carry that is! ;)

I don't believe in having to pay the big man for another permission slip when the Second Amendment is our permit. I OC 90% of the time and do my best to stay the hell out of Denver and I won't patronize places that don't respect our rights. If you need a CC class, talk to Rob. I believe he is going to offer them soon.

Blessings,

Keens

mobiushky

I live 250' from a high school. Granted, I don't do a ton of walking around my neighborhood, but in general as long as you are not walking around on school property OC, then you are probably going to be ok. The only concern I had was what if I had anti-gun grumpy neighbors that would call the cops on me. But then, like I said, I don't do a ton of walking the area.

I do have my CHP, so in that regard I'm pretty well covered. IT's probably a good idea to get one, just to be safe.