• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Friday Shopper uses his CCW to defend himself.

zack991

I understand this is not a open carry story, but i am sure the man would have never been attacked if he was open carrying. AT least he had a firearm to defend himself.\

A concealed handgun license-holder pulled his gun on a man who punched him in the face at a San Antonio Sears during Black Friday sales Thursday night. A man tried to cut in line, argued with people and threw a punch, police said. The punched man drew his gun and caused a panic with people "tumbling over things, dropping boxes," said shopper Roger Rivera. "It kind of went a little crazy in there." The gun owner was not charged with a crime, said San Antonio Police Sgt. Rob Carey.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...er-pulls-a-gun-at-South-Park-Mall-4060598.php

Last edited:

compmanio365

Wonderful journalism, making the victim out to be the perp here as you read the article. Obviously the man reacted in self defense as far as the police were concerned. But I am wondering on what grounds they took his weapon? And the sensationalist reports from shoppers in the store....."reports of a shooting", when no shots were fired. Apparently comments in the article are stating other news agencies in the area are a bit more unbiased.

EDIT: Looks like the police report states they gave him back his gun, person claiming the man provoked the situation was the mother of the guy punching the CCWer in the mouth....a little biased to be sure.

Link to police report: http://www.ksat.com/blob/view/-/17531458/data/1/-/ntdgplz/-/Mall-report-pdf.pdf?format=rsss_2.0

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

From what I gathered, the two men got into each others faces, one man threw a punch and the other drew his handgun and kept it pointed at the ground, everyone (including the guy who threw the punch) took off running.

I would not have drawn, to me a punch doesn't justify even contemplating deadly force, and I would only draw my firearm if I was ready to use it.

Should have just walked away..or decked the guy.

PistolPackingMomma

(snip)to me a punch doesn't justify even contemplating deadly force

To be fair, just because a punch doesn't equate to deadly force for you, doesn't necessarily mean the same for everyone else. Not stating this is the case for this specific individual, but someone with a possibility of paralysis, brain injury, etc, may find that deadly force is absolutely justified in such an altercation.

Freedom1Man

To be fair, just because a punch doesn't equate to deadly force for you, doesn't necessarily mean the same for everyone else. Not stating this is the case for this specific individual, but someone with a possibility of paralysis, brain injury, etc, may find that deadly force is absolutely justified in such an altercation.

It also applies to those of us who do not wish to fight.

davidmcbeth

Banned

The courts may agree and may not depending on the circumstance ... can you see the DA on this one "he drew his gun out in a crowd of people trying to get christmas gifts for their loved ones and children were present waaa waaa waaa" -- get the noose on that guy huh?

But I don't think I would pull a gun out (and I only would pull my gun to shoot, not scare) for a hit if it did not cause me to be unable to walk back from the guy...but maybe I would if the situation deemed it necessary (like if the guy was part of a group that looked like they were threatening me).

There are plenty of 1 punch homicides .. that's for sure ...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The courts may agree and may not depending on the circumstance ... can you see the DA on this one "he drew his gun out in a crowd of people trying to get christmas gifts for their loved ones and children were present waaa waaa waaa" -- get the noose on that guy huh?

But I don't think I would pull a gun out (and I only would pull my gun to shoot, not scare) for a hit if it did not cause me to be unable to walk back from the guy...but maybe I would if the situation deemed it necessary (like if the guy was part of a group that looked like they were threatening me).

The law says you take a person as you find them. There's no requirement for the BG to know you are more physically fragile than you may appear. For example:

Defense Attorney to jury: "Mr. skidmark has condition A, condition B, condition (well, you get the picture). Any blow has, as Dr. X has testified, great potential to cause any of a number of chains of response leading to <consequence of conditions> which, again as Dr. X has testified, hold a high risk of death for Mr. skidmark. Repeated blows increase that risk, as Dr. X has testified, to a high likelihood."

Think of OCing as a form of cotton padding. (Scary, aint it?)

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

This is true. One of the criteria constituting serious bodily harm is broken bones. The face is full of bone structure which can be rather easy to break with a hard and well delivered punch.

Still, if at all possible it is best to avoid such encounters, especially when armed, and leave those who wish to join in to their own devices.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Which is why I stated that this may not be the case for this specific individual, but across the board generalizations that one punch is not lethal force for everyone is too generalized to be accurate.

PistolPackingMomma

This is true. One of the criteria constituting serious bodily harm is broken bones. The face is full of bone structure which can be rather easy to break with a hard and well delivered punch.

Still, if at all possible it is best to avoid such encounters, especially when armed, and leave those who wish to join in to their own devices.

Concur 100%

ArmyVet73

I'm a walking disabled Vet with a broken back and drawing down with deadly force on a guy who just punched me in the face would be justified in my opinion, if I could recover from the pain of being knocked to the ground that is.

I agree that fear of getting a continued beating with the chance of enough bodily injury is enough of a reason to draw in that situation even if your not disabled.

WalkingWolf

This is why I do most shopping online. I have a bad ticker, so it would be stupid for me to go shopping when I know there is going to be pushing and shoving and short fuses. How can one have any kind of situational awareness in this type of chaos. IF I had been in his place I would not have drawn, but then he would have a cane tip mark in one of his eyes. And no I don't use rubber tipped canes.

tattedupboy

Let's not forget that this happened in Texas, where the open carrying of handguns is illegal. On the one hand, it pleases me that the guy who got punched was able to end it without further incident, but at the same time, I feel that as able-bodied men, we should be able to take a punch and throw a punch. Responding to a punch by drawing a gun rather than jus fighting back, is the very reason gun crime is so high in many urban areas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SpringerXDacp

Let's not forget that this happened in Texas, where the open carrying of handguns is illegal. On the one hand, it pleases me that the guy who got punched was able to end it without further incident, but at the same time, I feel that as able-bodied men, we should be able to take a punch and throw a punch. Responding to a punch by drawing a gun rather than jus fighting back, is the very reason gun crime is so high in many urban areas.

What about the folks who have to wear corrective lenses, or have partials/dentures that cost thousands of dollars for those without insurance, or hearing aids that also cost thousands of dollars for those without insurance. Law abiding, retired, working, or disabled folks shouln't have to MMA their way through life.

tattedupboy

What about the folks who have to wear corrective lenses, or have partials/dentures that cost thousands of dollars for those without insurance, or hearing aids that also cost thousands of dollars for those without insurance. Law abiding, retired, working, or disabled folks shouln't have to MMA their way through life.

My last post referred to those who are able bodied. Obviously that would have to be defined under the law, and I don't know anything about the guy in this particular scenario, but in general, I still believe no self-respecting, able bodied man should rely ONLY on his gun to protect himself. Learn how to throw a punch, and learn how to take one as well.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

My last post referred to those who are able bodied. Obviously that would have to be defined under the law, and I don't know anything about the guy in this particular scenario, but in general, I still believe no self-respecting, able bodied man should rely ONLY on his gun to protect himself. Learn how to throw a punch, and learn how to take one as well.

Why? why should "able bodied" men have to fistfight over that kind of thing? how would you define able bodied?

No, I think a quick show of force to end the fight is nessecary, leave this "able body" and "fair fight" crap to cheesy samurai movies, I don't fight fair, I fight to win, and if showing off the level of force I'm willing to use at the start causes the other guy to re-consider then that's a win for everyone.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My last post referred to those who are able bodied. Obviously that would have to be defined under the law, and I don't know anything about the guy in this particular scenario, but in general, I still believe no self-respecting, able bodied man should rely ONLY on his gun to protect himself. Learn how to throw a punch, and learn how to take one as well....

I'm self-respecting. I'm able-bodied. I don't fight.

To this day, I breathe with difficulty through my nose because I was sucker-punched in the face by a bully as a young teen.

If I can stop it, I will NOT be punched.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
From what I gathered, the two men got into each others faces, one man threw a punch and the other drew his handgun and kept it pointed at the ground, everyone (including the guy who threw the punch) took off running.

I would not have drawn, to me a punch doesn't justify even contemplating deadly force, and I would only draw my firearm if I was ready to use it.

Should have just walked away..or decked the guy.

It certainly does to me! I have an enlarged spleen and liver from a disease I contracted called epstein-barr (which over 90% of the adult population carries the virus, however effects are different in everyone), and one punch to my abdomen and I could be in a life or death situation. If someone punches you in the face, then the abdomen is next I am sure, and that could be bad if someone were in my situation. Perhaps this man has a condition where his organs are enlarged, or perhaps he is epileptic and cannot sustain blows to the head -- you never know.