• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Course

mkarns

My wife and I need to take the Missouri CCW course.
I have a non resident Florida CCW, but would like to add Missouri.
The problem is we live in Eolia, MO and can't find anyone conducting the course.
Any help would be appreciated.
We live 20 miles north of Troy, MO or 35 miles south of Hannibal.

Thanks,
M Karns

mspgunner

The problem is we live in Eolia, MO and can't find anyone conducting the course.

Thanks,
M Karns

Go to this site, at the top is "Training", there are people who can help (You may want to subscribe to this discussion site as well):
http://www.missouricarry.com/

Redbaron007

mspgunner or anyone....Question?

My daughter is wanting to take the training class; however, they (two places) have said she can't because she is not 21; she is 20 and wants to get her CCW when she hits 21. I looked through the statutes and didn't see a minimum age to take the training course.....of course to get the permit, you have to be 21.

Is this the trainers requirement or am I missing something? :confused:

My daughter is wanting to take the training class; however, they (two places) have said she can't because she is not 21; she is 20 and wants to get her CCW when she hits 21. I looked through the statutes and didn't see a minimum age to take the training course.....of course to get the permit, you have to be 21.

Pure trainers bull sh!t. She should be able to take the course then on her 21st birthday apply for her permit. Look for a trainer that don't have such requirements. We all give the sheriffs hell when they step beyond but let trainers run amok sometimes.

Last edited:

mspgunner

I believe anyone can take the class. I know of nothing in the statute that states you have to be 21 to takle it. Bounce the question off of more than one instructor. You are correct, unless in the military you have to be 21 to apply for a CCW in MO.

Redbaron007

Pure trainers bull sh!t. She should be able to take the course then on her 21st birthday apply for her permit. Look for a trainer that don't have such requirements. We all give the sheriffs hell when they step beyond but let trainers run amok sometimes.

I believe anyone can take the class. I know of nothing in the statute that states you have to be 21 to takle it. Bounce the question off of more than one instructor. You are correct, unless in the military you have to be 21 to apply for a CCW in MO.

Pretty much what I thought...but since I couldn't locate anything, I figured I'd ask, maybe someone else had the experience. My daughter will be happy...we'll look this weekend for some other instructors.

Thanks guys!

OC for ME

Pretty much what I thought...but since I couldn't locate anything, I figured I'd ask, maybe someone else had the experience. My daughter will be happy...we'll look this weekend for some other instructors.

Thanks guys!
My CCW course was not a "CCW" course but a course that meets the requirements of the below:

RSMo 571.111.2. A certificate of firearms safety training course completion may be issued to any applicant by any qualified firearms safety instructor. On the certificate of course completion the qualified firearms safety instructor shall affirm that the individual receiving instruction has taken and passed a firearms safety course of at least eight hours in length taught by the instructor that included:

(1) Handgun safety in the classroom, at home, on the firing range and while carrying the firearm;

(2) A physical demonstration performed by the applicant that demonstrated his or her ability to safely load and unload a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol and demonstrated his or her marksmanship with both;

(3) The basic principles of marksmanship;

(4) Care and cleaning of concealable firearms;

(5) Safe storage of firearms at home;

(6) The requirements of this state for obtaining a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement from the sheriff of the individual's county of residence and a concealed carry endorsement issued by the department of revenue;

(7) The laws relating to firearms as prescribed in this chapter;

(8) The laws relating to the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563;

(9) A live firing exercise of sufficient duration for each applicant to fire both a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol, from a standing position or its equivalent, a minimum of fifty rounds from each handgun at a distance of seven yards from a B-27 silhouette target or an equivalent target;

(10) A live fire test administered to the applicant while the instructor was present of twenty rounds from each handgun from a standing position or its equivalent at a distance from a B-27 silhouette target, or an equivalent target, of seven yards.
Where in this statute does it require the the "student" be 21 years of age or older? In does not. Tell those "instructor" that you will passing the word around that they are unfit to "teach" a CCW class because they in fact do not know the law.

Incidentally, I never recommend the folks who I took my course from. They are anti-citizen and anti-liberty based on the LE induced views of OC. The particular "instructor" I had was not very kind, in words, towards citizens exercising their right to OC.

Thanks guys!

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a instructor that will give her the class. The 2 that stated she had to be 21 to take the course may be teaching other false crap since they think you have to be 21 to take the class.

Redbaron007

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a instructor that will give her the class. The 2 that stated she had to be 21 to take the course may be teaching other false crap since they think you have to be 21 to take the class.

She's already compiling a list of a few more. I told her to let me know who those that declined her....one is a shooting range around here. :rolleyes:

She's already compiling a list of a few more. I told her to let me know who those that declined her....one is a shooting range around here. :rolleyes:

I noticed the range in Ozark has that same silly requirement. One in the same perhaps? Yet they allow youngsters on the firing line younger than 12 if accompanied by guardian or parent.

Redbaron007

I noticed the range in Ozark has that same silly requirement. One in the same perhaps? Yet they allow youngsters on the firing line younger than 12 if accompanied by guardian or parent.

Neither confirm nor deny. ;)

Neither confirm nor deny. ;)

Well looks like the Sound of Freedom range in Ozark has the requirement that a person be 21 to take the CCW class. This is a private business and they have the right to make their rules but having the 21 year old rule does a great disservice to the military who can acquire a CCW permit at age 18 per state law it also takes away the OC option for the military as in many towns as they by ordinance require a CCW permit to OC. It makes them look like they are anti military. There are other instructors that will give classes for 18 year old students so why bother with a business that does not appear to support our military.

http://www.sof-usa.com/classes/

Last edited:

REALteach4u

Thanks,
M Karns

If you cannot find someone in that area drop me a PM. I have family in the Hannibal area and I might be able to convince my wife to take a trip. You'll need to help me locate a range in your area.

Some trainers will not train under 21 for liability reasons, some of it is the range they use, others it's just their choice. State law does not limit who can take the safety training course and it's the opinion of several quality instructors on this board as well as missouricarry.com that the training just as important for those under 21 as those 21 and older. It lets them know what they can and cannot do legally as well as helps build their skills confidence.

Some will draw the line at 18. I'll allow someone under 18 provided their parent/guardian is present during the training and the waivers get signed. Other instructors likely feel the same way.

If you're in the Springfield area we'd be happy to have your daughter in a course. It just gets her ahead of the game. Plus, if she's out with you and something happens where she needs to access your firearm she knows what to do. PM me if I can help in any way.