• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ot: Enough!

tannerwaterbury

Look.... I've been coming to these boards since 2009, and lately I've noticed a string of threads that deal with things other than Open Carry. Some of you know who I am referring to, and it just needs to stop. We know that the Government is trying to pass Gun Control laws and various other things, and believe me, we are vigilant and keeping a close eye on things. Posting various Conspiracy Theory threads that has nothing to do with Open Carry needs to stop. There is a general topic thread for these sorts of things, and if you want to post your Conspiracies, post them there. I know THIS thread has nothing in relation to OC, but it needs to be said, and I feel that as someone who frequents the site quite often I should at least reply to those newer members that come and post those things here. Whether the regulars agree with me or not doesn't matter to me, I just would like to have us focus more on OC in this thread over conspiracies.

HK_dave

tannerwaterbury said:
I've noticed a string of threads that deal with things other than Open Carry... and it just needs to stop.

it's strange, but no matter how many times i rub my eyes, it still doesn't say ADMIN under your name.

if they aren't worried about it, you don't need to be either. move along...

SpyderTattoo

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

These boards are huge and the admin's can't police all threads at all times. That's why they put the rules in place and expect us to police ourselves.

skeith5

Gun rights discussions relating to local or state issues should be in that state's sub forum, imho. Not sure if that's the postings that are being referred to.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

These boards are huge and the admin's can't police all threads at all times. That's why they put the rules in place and expect us to police ourselves.

+1

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Although I agree a lot of the topics being discussed here lately belong in the general thread, but the subjects are WA specific. So at the risk again of being flamed again for the suggestion, I again think we should have our own WA specific General thread.

tombrewster421

Gun rights discussions relating to local or state issues should be in that state's sub forum, imho. Not sure if that's the postings that are being referred to.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

He's referring to the guy that links one of his YouTube videos in every post he makes that are generally off topic and about conspiracies. He's essentially advertising his YouTube channel.

darkside

Oh, you mean the guy who thinks that the shootings at Sandy Hook, the mall in Oregon and Aurora(sp?) were staged so the goverment can take our guns? I just thought his tin foil was on a little to tight.

SeattleWingsfan

I've been a member for a while now. Not nearly as long as many of you, but I do log in and check this place 3-5 times a day usually. I am pretty busy but I consider my gun rights important and I check here to see about all things gun related. As far as I am concerned all things gun related affect Open Carry to a degree. If not for the simpleist issue of anything good or bad about guns in general affeects public opinion on guns which directly affects us.

I do not have time to go look through the general forum to check for a thread that is relavent to Washington. I wish I had time to delve into the other sections of this site. I believe many people like me hardly ever look at anything other than the Washington area.

This has already been covered so many times and I thought it was settled last time that if it was marked OT in the heading it was ok. Without getting rediculously out of hand.

If someone is posting a youtube channel in there signature, if there is no rule against it who cares. If there is a rule against it point it out to him, and if he doesn't change it I am sure a MOD will. It's not like you have to click and watch it everytime you see it.

Difdi

Oh, you mean the guy who thinks that the shootings at Sandy Hook, the mall in Oregon and Aurora(sp?) were staged so the goverment can take our guns? I just thought his tin foil was on a little to tight.

It wouldn't have to be on all that tightly, since recent research out of MIT indicates that tin foil hats act like an amplifying antenna for the portion of the radio spectrum reserved solely for government use.

While I don't necessarily agree with the guy, I do often wonder if any of those faux-terrorist schemes the FBI cooks up to make themselves look good ever get away from them. Since they're done more or less for propaganda purposes, it's not a very big stretch to imagine a denial of responsibility and/or lost paper trail if one of those staged terrorist attacks ever actually goes off for real.

tannerwaterbury

it's strange, but no matter how many times i rub my eyes, it still doesn't say ADMIN under your name.

if they aren't worried about it, you don't need to be either. move along...

I never stated I was an admin, I'm just irritated that those that post OT topics on these boards tend to post such topics without at LEAST posting an Off Topic header before the subject title. Usually I've seen those that do post off topic discussion add the OT to the beginning and people know its not on topic, but opening a thread where it is assumed that it has any relations to open carry, and finding out it's a bunch of Conspiracy Theory rants just messes up the normal flow of things. The more we act less concerned and vigilant, the more these postings happen. I'm just bringing it to light to at least let those people know that if such future topics are to be posted, be courteous and add an OT header to such threads, otherwise it makes it seem like our fellow OCers also believe in that stuff, and any new members that join OCDO may seek another site that doesn't have such topics.

tannerwaterbury

Although I agree a lot of the topics being discussed here lately belong in the general thread, but the subjects are WA specific. So at the risk again of being flamed again for the suggestion, I again think we should have our own WA specific General thread.

Agreed. Given that not MANY Off Topic threads are posted, and I am sure there are many of you that would love to post general topics (me included) without having to clog up the OC threads, I agree that the admins or webmaster at least create a sub-forum within each state boards.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Posting on the individual state sub-forums should either be regarding OC or a RKBA issue/topic specific and unique to that state. The latter has been determined to be permitted within some reasonable limits. No that isn't spelled out in the rules other than discouraging off-topic posts.

If in doubt as to the appropriateness, ask or report the more egregious ones.

Sorry, but that is the best I can do. I doubt seriously you will see a General Discussion area within the state sub-forums as that moves too far from the primary intent and purpose of OCDO = to promote and defend open carrying of holstered handguns as we go about our normal, every day lives.

Appreciate everyone's help in keeping OCDO focused and "on target." You are our eyes and ears of this forum - w/o your efforts the task would be beyond Herculean.

amlevin

I tend to do my own "Thread/Post Moderating". I read the ones I want and ignore the ones I don't.

In way too many cases "Moderating" can be just another form of Censorship. Don't like an idea? Delete it. Kind of contrary to the beliefs of most here, isn't it.

Yes, a WA OT sub-forum would be nice.

sudden valley gunner

I tend to do my own "Thread/Post Moderating". I read the ones I want and ignore the ones I don't.

In way too many cases "Moderating" can be just another form of Censorship. Don't like an idea? Delete it. Kind of contrary to the beliefs of most here, isn't it.

Yes, a WA OT sub-forum would be nice.

I do the same.

And yes it is contrary to my belief in a government/ free speech sense, but this forum is private property and the owners can set what ever rules they want, which isn't contrary to my beliefs at all, even when I disagree with some of their moderation, and sometimes the biased nature of it.