• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backpacking and open carry

radiotom

Hi this is my first post and I have only lurked around here for a little while. You all seem like a good bunch.

I have a question about hiking/backpacking and open carry. My fiance and I have a CPL and small game license. Now, we want to go backpacking in the U.P. (and some L.P.) this summer. She will conceal or open carry her Glock and I will open carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum 7.5". The reason for this is only for protection from 2 and 4 legged critters (which I understand can grow quite large in the U.P.) I have reviewed Federal (National Forest) and State laws and it only looks like some buildings in National Forests ban firearms. Otherwise I cannot find anything saying that we cannot do this. Do you guys know of any laws? What about designated campsites on the trails, etc?

Also I would like to pack my 7 inch Kabar in the backpack. I don't really know if that's fine either. We both usually carry a folding pocket knife that's under 3" in length because of the weird knife law that I read and doesn't make much sense.

Thanks.

Lurchiron

Hi this is my first post and I have only lurked around here for a little while. You all seem like a good bunch.

I have a question about hiking/backpacking and open carry. My fiance and I have a CPL and small game license. Now, we want to go backpacking in the U.P. (and some L.P.) this summer. She will conceal or open carry her Glock and I will open carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum 7.5". The reason for this is only for protection from 2 and 4 legged critters (which I understand can grow quite large in the U.P.) I have reviewed Federal (National Forest) and State laws and it only looks like some buildings in National Forests ban firearms. Otherwise I cannot find anything saying that we cannot do this. Do you guys know of any laws? What about designated campsites on the trails, etc?

Also I would like to pack my 7 inch Kabar in the backpack. I don't really know if that's fine either. We both usually carry a folding pocket knife that's under 3" in length because of the weird knife law that I read and doesn't make much sense.

Thanks.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml Seems to put the burden on State & Local regulations;

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31584--,00.html May be other tabs to check on site, but this should cover it.

One thing to be on the lookout for/from, is the dreaded Red Flanneled Luster; easily identified by its' call of "Yoop, yoop, YOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
That and its propensity to arrive driving an old rusted out 4x4...immediately surrender any & all libations(beer is best) and move slowly away :cool:
View attachment 10308 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yooper

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml Seems to put the burden on State & Local regulations;

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31584--,00.html May be other tabs to check on site, but this should cover it.

One thing to be on the lookout for/from, is the dreaded Red Flanneled Luster; easily identified by its' call of "Yoop, yoop, YOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
That and its propensity to arrive driving an old rusted out 4x4...immediately surrender any & all libations(beer is best) and move slowly away :cool:
View attachment 10308 :rolleyes:

Beer is best!

cmr287

I OC everywhere... Especially when on the Apalation trail. You never know whay you will encounter.... :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Open carry of a handgun is generally not allowed in National Forests.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Don't confuse Nat'l Forests and National Parks (NPS) where state law prevails.

Someone will be along shortly to give you the local take on this.
Your cite is for Virginia.

In Michigan you can have a firearm in accordance to all state laws. You can hunt/OC EVEN on Sundays in National Forests in Michigan. National Parks also follow state law, although the prohibition on firearms in Federal building is enforced.

So back-packing in national forests is the same as for state forests, except for in federal buildings. You can carry in State buildings.

radiotom

I thought it was the total opposite of this. I thought that open carry was generally ALLOWED in National Forests because it follows State law. So it would only matter if your State has goofy laws.

radiotom

Your cite is for Virginia.

In Michigan you can have a firearm in accordance to all state laws. You can hunt/OC EVEN on Sundays in National Forests in Michigan. National Parks also follow state law, although the prohibition on firearms in Federal building is enforced.

So back-packing in national forests is the same as for state forests, except for in federal buildings. You can carry in State buildings.

State and National Parks are good too, right? With a CPL is there even anywhere other than Federal property that you cannot OPEN CARRY?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
State and National Parks are good too, right? With a CPL is there even anywhere other than Federal property that you cannot OPEN CARRY?

Courtrooms or where court business is conducted;

(Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court: "Weapons are not permitted in any
courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless
the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval
consistent with the court's written policy.)

in the secure area of an airport (MCL 259.80f)

Last edited:

radiotom

Courtrooms or where court business is conducted;

(Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court: "Weapons are not permitted in any
courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless
the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval
consistent with the court's written policy.)

in the secure area of an airport (MCL 259.80f)

Thanks. I'm just gonna start open carrying everywhere except places where there are plenty of sheep. Including on our backpacking trips!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
For a person without a CPL, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, open carry in Michigan is terrible. The number of places where one may not carry (possess) a pistol is probably more than any other state. However, with a CPL, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, Michigan is one of the best states to open carry for the reason covered in my last post.

Haman J.T.

Thanks. I'm just gonna start open carrying everywhere except places where there are plenty of sheep. Including on our backpacking trips!

DO NOT FORGET Private Property Rules = Some do not allow any firearms in or on their property(Stores,businesses etc.)! CARRY ON!

Haman J.T.

for a person without a cpl, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, open carry in michigan is terrible. The number of places where one may not carry (possess) a pistol is probably more than any other state. However, with a cpl, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, michigan is one of the best states to open carry for the reason covered in my last post.
got that right! Constitutional carry! Repeal all firearm laws! Repeat refrain!!

EMNofSeattle

Really?

where is the page that link orginated from? In Washington all the National Forest Lands carry is legal and they use assimilative jurisdiction and enforce state law, I specifically spoke about that very topic to several sworn Forest Service LE rangers. I've spoken to them out of hunting season while open carrying on FS lands (when one asked if I'd witnessed anything relating to a vehicle crash that occured nearby.... If this is the rule, then the FS does a terrible job of educating their enforcers about it....