• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Jersey’s red-light cameras went dark last Tuesday, 16 DEC 2014!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://alerts.motorists.org/nma-e-newsletter-310-score-a-big-one-for-the-good-guys/

"It’s official. New Jersey’s red-light cameras went dark last Tuesday after state lawmakers chose not to take up legislation to extend their operation. The five-year pilot program generated controversy from the start. Outspoken critics such as NMA ally and state Assemblyman Declan O’Scanlon were quick to point out that photo ticketing was more about generating revenue for cash-strapped municipalities than improving public safety.

The demise of the program is notable for several reasons. First, while well-resourced camera companies and their lackeys made every attempt to salvage the program, they couldn’t gain enough traction with New Jersey lawmakers. (Translation: legislators knew how unpopular and misguided the program was and weren’t going to risk going against the will of the voters.) Second, with cameras spread across 25 cities as part of the pilot program, New Jersey is the first state to abolish cameras statewide. Third, the NMA played a key role in dismantling the program by proving serious flaws in how it was administered and operated.

Things started to unravel in November 2011 when . . . "

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"The net result is that red-light cameras are history in New Jersey, thanks to the efforts of many concerned citizens, advocates and lawmakers. At least for now. NJDOT still has to make a recommendation to continue the program or not, and policymakers would have to pass legislation to bring it back. We don’t think they will."
http://alerts.motorists.org/nma-e-ne...the-good-guys/

Excellent results!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I go to testify almost every freaking year ... on this subject ; my state does not have them.

One rep. told a sob story about how he was concerned about his little kid walking in a city, worried about her getting run down. I testified if he was so concerned, he would have been walking her to school. Needless to say, he did not like that comment.

countryclubjoe

Now if they would only do away with those ALPR- Automatic License Plate Readers.... Every criminal, pedophile, ID thief and corrupt LEO can have your information at their fingertips.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Now if they would only do away with those ALPR- Automatic License Plate Readers.... Every criminal, pedophile, ID thief and corrupt LEO can have your information at their fingertips.

CCJ

I think that there are some products out there that can assist in hiding your plate number to those infernal machines. Even with the laws I have seen, there are ways around them where you can still hide your parked car's plate number from the machines.

countryclubjoe

I think that there are some products out there that can assist in hiding your plate number to those infernal machines. Even with the laws I have seen, there are ways around them where you can still hide your parked car's plate number from the machines.

Thank you Davidmebeth, now if anyone could expand on these products, I would like to protect my ID from the aforementioned elements listed in my post.

Happy holiday,

CCJ

Primus

Thank you Davidmebeth, now if anyone could expand on these products, I would like to protect my ID from the aforementioned elements listed in my post.

Happy holiday,

CCJ
Kryptonium. With a dash of adamantium. Then mix with dog feces and rub it on your car.

Bam. Instant invisibility.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Kryptonium. With a dash of adamantium. Then mix with dog feces and rub it on your car.

Bam. Instant invisibility.

There are devices that attach to the plate screws that can shield these electronic eyes ... some states have outlawed these louvers but as it relates to red light cameras if I recall...plate readers? Generally take a pick from a goofy angle that may be able to be blocked w/o violating the red light camera laws.

Once should be able to make a homemade one too. Just read the laws and figure a way around them; its not hard.

Primus

There are devices that attach to the plate screws that can shield these electronic eyes ... some states have outlawed these louvers but as it relates to red light cameras if I recall...plate readers? Generally take a pick from a goofy angle that may be able to be blocked w/o violating the red light camera laws.

Once should be able to make a homemade one too. Just read the laws and figure a way around them; its not hard.
Dog feces works best. Trust me just try it. :D

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Ohio just passed a law that require an officer to be present at the location of the operating camera. The camera is hard to put on the witness stand and cross exam.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ohio just passed a law that require an officer to be present at the location of the operating camera. The camera is hard to put on the witness stand and cross exam.

Under rules of evidence, pics do not require testimony. Now if the pics contain data then testimony can be required to get it admitted if the state law does not say its already admissible; but one can always are melendez-diaz v. state of Mass (SCOTUS) too.

But ya have to object and most people simply are not very cognizant of the judicial process.

I have only lost one traffic case out of many and have helped others to win their cases. Not hard, but usually requires several visits to the courthouse. 99% of people just give up.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Utah, if I remember correctly does allow redlight cameras and photocop enterprises---- they just prohibited any enterprise including cities, towns, municipalities, county or State agency from collecting any fees or fines with these types of systems. No problem with redlight cameras or photocop in UTAH. I like this!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Under rules of evidence, pics do not require testimony. Now if the pics contain data then testimony can be required to get it admitted if the state law does not say its already admissible; but one can always are melendez-diaz v. state of Mass (SCOTUS) too.

But ya have to object and most people simply are not very cognizant of the judicial process.

I have only lost one traffic case out of many and have helped others to win their cases. Not hard, but usually requires several visits to the courthouse. 99% of people just give up.
I said camera, I did not say picture. Camera, meaning the complete operating system including the computer program that operates that system.
Melendez-Diaz v. Massachusetts, 557 U.S. 305 (2009) is the very reason I said camera.
And I too have only lost one traffic case out of many that I chose to fight. One was a split decision in the court of appeals. Must challenge personal and subject matter jurisdiction before ever entering a plea. I have never been in a court yet where the court follow the rules.

georg jetson

...And I too have only lost one traffic case out of many that I chose to fight. One was a split decision in the court of appeals. Must challenge personal and subject matter jurisdiction before ever entering a plea. I have never been in a court yet where the court follow the rules.

Good to see more people figuring this out! Of course, typically smj can be challenged at any stage of the process.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I said camera, I did not say picture. Camera, meaning the complete operating system including the computer program that operates that system.
Melendez-Diaz v. Massachusetts, 557 U.S. 305 (2009) is the very reason I said camera.
And I too have only lost one traffic case out of many that I chose to fight. One was a split decision in the court of appeals. Must challenge personal and subject matter jurisdiction before ever entering a plea. I have never been in a court yet where the court follow the rules.

Before that, ask for a complaint or information to replace the notice ! [one can argue jurisdictional issues at any time]

Many states require a notice to be replaced with either an information or complaint. see CT Prac. Book 36-11 for my state.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You wave personal jurisdiction if not challenged prior to entering a plea. And yes subject matter jurisdiction can be challenged at any time.

Ohio has some odd rules, especially traffic rules.

Waving time is another killer. You will more than likely loose when your attorney waves time.

Asking for the proper documents in discovery is important. Waving time is necessary for discovery, but for the time from request to response. Knowing the rules will work in your favor.

And one of the most important thing to do is object when necessary. Failure to object timely is fatal.

jfrey123

Congrats to you NJ guys on this. I'm happy NV has a law generally prohibiting the use of red light cameras or private contractors for traffic citation cameras. The cameras have to be held by an officer or mounted in a police vehicle or building.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-484A.html#NRS484ASec600

NRS 484A.600  Use by governmental entity or agent of photographic, video or digital equipment to gather evidence for issuance of traffic citation.  A governmental entity and any agent thereof shall not use photographic, video or digital equipment for gathering evidence to be used for the issuance of a traffic citation for a violation of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS unless the equipment is held in the hand or installed temporarily or permanently within a vehicle or facility of a law enforcement agency.