• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Foia ?

Chkultr

I have a question about FOIA. In Virginia can you only request and receive information if it pertains to you? Meaning you can not just request information on anyone.

Example....My neighbor was recently arrested for his 4th DUI. He claims the cops beat him, etc. I was wondering if I could do a FOIA request and see if they had dash cameras, radio transmissions, etc.

We have been having problems with him in the last few months. I just want to see how much BS he is dishing out!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have a question about FOIA. In Virginia can you only request and receive information if it pertains to you? Meaning you can not just request information on anyone.

That's pretty much the same throughout our United States.

Example....My neighbor was recently arrested for his 4th DUI. He claims the cops beat him, etc. I was wondering if I could do a FOIA request and see if they had dash cameras, radio transmissions, etc.

We have been having problems with him in the last few months. I just want to see how much BS he is dishing out![/QUOTE]

If you're truly having problems with him, simply file a statement with the local police detailing the circumstances. It has different titles in different cities. Here in Colorado, it's simply called an Intel report.

Can you back-dig criminal info on a neighbor? Actually, all criminal activity is a matter of public record. Be advised that many localities have created a shroud of secrecy around these records to protect the privacy of the individuals involved, so if you dig deep enough, expect alot of redaction!