• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone called Chris Rickert of the WSJ yet?

anmut

He did an opinion piece on the Madison 5. I think he needs to listen to the 911 call and issue a statement about missing out on some of the facts of the case.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_9db9e5d6-c838-11df-be29-001cc4c03286.html

Those charges were later dropped, but on Tuesday all five were charged with disorderly conduct because, according to police, the woman who called police to complain was clearly disturbed by their presence and the "statute does not require an actual disturbance take place, only that (the) conduct in question is of a type that tends to cause or provoke a disturbance.""

Contact Chris Rickert at 608-252-6198 or crickert@madison.com, as well as on Facebook and Twitter (@ChrisRickertWSJ). His column appears Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I see he quoted me correctly but came to the wrong conclusion. I said much more than what he printed.

I will email him. Just by the tone of his questions you could tell he wasn't supportive.

Chris,

I understand this was an opinion piece and you are entitled to your own opinion but the slant of you column, while factually correct, was misleading. You quoted the press release from MPD when you said that the caller was disturbed. If you listen to the actual 911 call, you will see she wasn't and the police magnified her concern for their purposes.

At the end of your article, you asked why we didn't pick a 'more relevant cause' such as abortion, the death penalty or a couple others. I can only speak for myself but I am involved with other causes, however, none of the ones you mentioned have a clear definition as a right in both the Federal and State Constitutions. In addition, once again, we weren't there to make a point or to cause a disturbance. To reiterate, I have been open carrying in various places for over a year and have never had a police officer even approach me before. Of course, I never carried in Madison before. As you column stated, the other 3 showed up at the invitation of someone who lived in Madison and since we OC wherever we go that is legal, we OC'ed. In addition, we OC'ed at the same Culvers exactly 1 week later with 25 OC'ers and there was no police interaction. A family stood behind me in line and no panic ensued, parents didn't rush their children away from me or the others. There were women who OC'ed in our group as well.

We had just come back from an OC picnic in West Baraboo where between 50 and 75 people were carrying as well. A wedding party came to the park to take pictures, no panic, no 911 calls, parents and children came to the park to play in the playground, no screaming, shootouts or blood in the streets.

It seems that Madison is the only place in the state where the police think they are above the law and that the Constitution doesn't apply to them.

--
Paul L Fisher

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Of all the interviews I had last week, only Chris seemed to try to bait me with his questions. I sensed an anti-gun bias right away.

Most outrageous question he asked me: "If you had horrible service in a restaurant, would you place your hand on your gun?"

I said "absolutely not" but I should have said "If by 'horrible service' you mean physically attacked by the wait staff with meat cleavers, then I yes, I might." But I'm sure that would have been taken out of context and he would have printed "... yes, I might."

anmut

Of all the interviews I had last week, only Chris seemed to try to bait me with his questions. I sensed an anti-gun bias right away.

Most outrageous question he asked me: "If you had horrible service in a restaurant, would you place your hand on your gun?"

I said "absolutely not" but I should have said "If by 'horrible service' you mean physically attacked by the wait staff with meat cleavers, then I yes, I might." But I'm sure that would have been taken out of context and he would have printed "... yes, I might."

Yeah I figured that he was just another d-bag anti...