• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New movers to northern Virginia

KBCraig

My oldest and his lovely bride just transferred to Fort Belvoir (they're both Army).

Aside from warning them that everything is illegal in Maryland and DC, and giving them Dan Hawes' number to keep in their phones, what else should a new NOVA resident know? Any particular places to go, see, or do (aside from all the monuments and parks)? They're mid-20s, no kids, two big dogs, and are living on post in the River Village section, right on Dogue Creek.

Thanks.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
There is all kinds of stuff to do in NOVA, pretty much anything they could be interested in. NOVA is a great big hodge-podge of everything. What are they interested in? I could provide some suggestions. NOVA is also a great place to open carry, I OCed there for five years without an incident (just moved to PA). I would recommend that they check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I live very very near Ft Belvoir, and I volunteer at the Ft Belvoir hospital.

There's a range very very very very near Ft Belvoir - Sharpshooters. If they want to join a range, it's not bad. (Of course, I don't BUY from there as they require all but LEO to unload before entering. At least, that's their policy; I understand they sometimes ignore it.) The NRA range is not far away either.

They're 4 miles from Mt Vernon Estate, and the GW Parkway from there to the top of the Beltway is beautiful. There are free concerts in the park less than a mile from their home (Grist Mill Park) on Fridays, and at Fort Hunt Park on Sundays June through August.

I've lived here about 10 years; I'm probably 4 miles from them, so if they have any questions I might be able to help with, please ask.

And ditto on joining VCDL.

Are they open-carriers? I could probably plan a dinner in the not-too-distant future if they want to meet some others.

KBCraig

I live very very near Ft Belvoir, and I volunteer at the Ft Belvoir hospital.
That's great! They work at the hospital. They're both medics, and he's going to be working in mental health. I think she'll be in family advocacy, but I'm not sure.

Are they open-carriers? I could probably plan a dinner in the not-too-distant future if they want to meet some others.
They've never had the opportunity to OC, with him growing up in Texas and her being from western NY. And, they've been in Texas and/or Iraq the past three years, so no off-duty OC.

I'll tell them about the concerts. That sounds great. She already went to Mount Vernon today, but he was working. They just arrived Thursday, so they haven't really had a chance to explore yet.

KBCraig

Thanks for the replies. Tess and my DIL have each other's contact info now, so hopefully everyone gets to make some new friends.