• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition for BSA policy change

Tucker6900

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Proper spelling will get you far. It is not "Boyscouts" - you can look up the correct spelling.

The Bill of Rights is not in any way separate or distinct from the Constitution except as a part of the history of constitutional government. Separating the two implies that they are separate and distinct.

I am eager to be informed of how the laws of the United States are based on the Declaration of Independence. For all these years I apparently was under the misapprehensio that the Constitution was the foundation for all our laws.

That's as far as I got in reading your "petition". In glancing at it, it was difficult to see that you had 1) a statement of the present circumstances 2) a statement of why the present circumstance needs/ought to be changed, and 3) your proposed change. That could just be an artifact of there being no separation into paragraphs. It could also be that most folks who are concerned enough about the issue to read your "petition" don't care about style and form as much as I do.

stay safe.

Tucker6900

The Bill of Rights is not in any way separate or distinct from the Constitution except as a part of the history of constitutional government. Separating the two implies that they are separate and distinct.

As most people believe that the Constitution IS the Bill of Rights, added emphasis is the reason.

I am eager to be informed of how the laws of the United States are based on the Declaration of Independence. For all these years I apparently was under the misapprehensio that the Constitution was the foundation for all our laws.

You are correct. But, without the DOI, there would be no Constitution.

That's as far as I got in reading your "petition". In glancing at it, it was difficult to see that you had 1) a statement of the present circumstances 2) a statement of why the present circumstance needs/ought to be changed, and 3) your proposed change. That could just be an artifact of there being no separation into paragraphs. It could also be that most folks who are concerned enough about the issue to read your "petition" don't care about style and form as much as I do.

Its pretty clear what the point of the petition is. The policy does not allow lawful carry except LE, the change is shown in the last paragraph.

Its simple and to the point. I find that all too often, if things like this read like some of the present day laws, most people will get only so far and turn away.

Maybe its too simple for you...

eye95

The DOI may have no force of law, but it does outline the principles that the Constitution was designed to protect.

The Constitution exists to create a federal government that can perform its necessary functions while preserving our rights to life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You try to be basically nice, offer constructive criticism, and a few helpful hints about how it could be made better.

Everybody seems to think all I'm doing it picking it apart. OP wants to defend and offer excuses instead of looking at improving the product.

So I guess thias was a "Everybody look at what I did! Everybody tell me I done good!" thread.

Sorry, Tucker, but in spite of everybody else I continue to have standards and actually expect them to be met before I support something. You have an important issue that should be addressed. But if you are going to go out into the world looking for support you should really try to do better. Tell you what - run it by your local Tea Party folks and see how they react to it.

stay safe.

OC for ME

You try to be basically nice, offer constructive criticism, and a few helpful hints about how it could be made better.

Everybody seems to think all I'm doing it picking it apart. OP wants to defend and offer excuses instead of looking at improving the product.

So I guess thias was a "Everybody look at what I did! Everybody tell me I done good!" thread.

Sorry, Tucker, but in spite of everybody else I continue to have standards and actually expect them to be met before I support something. You have an important issue that should be addressed. But if you are going to go out into the world looking for support you should really try to do better. Tell you what - run it by your local Tea Party folks and see how they react to it.

stay safe.
Typos are not exempt from missives that are put out into the world.....even our small little part of the world. :rolleyes:

OC for ME

As most people believe that the Constitution IS the Bill of Rights, added emphasis is the reason.

You are correct. But, without the DOI, there would be no Constitution.

Its pretty clear what the point of the petition is. The policy does not allow lawful carry except LE, the change is shown in the last paragraph.

Its simple and to the point. I find that all too often, if things like this read like some of the present day laws, most people will get only so far and turn away.

Maybe its too simple for you...
The BSA can do whatever they choose to do within the confines of the law.

If you choose to work to change the BSA, as skid correctly points, out a correctly written petition would lend greater credence to your quest. I wish you well and good luck.

BTW, I signed the petition.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The petition seems reasonable as far as presentation goes. The only thing I might change is to put the purpose of the document first rather than last. For example, the Declaration of Independence puts its purpose in the first paragraph. Then clean up the few spelling and grammar errors.

If the petition fails, I think it will be from lack of persuasion and lack of support.

Although it doesn't work against itself, it doesn't do much to persuade. You need an experienced Scouting member to name the traditions of Scouting, and tie them to gun ownership and carry. For example, a CCer or OCer is practically the embodiment of "Be Prepared." That sort of thing. Get more persuasion text into it.

Then find channels for support. OCDO is a good one. Other state gun-rights groups who run forums like PAFOA might be receptive. I don't have much faith in NRA after my experiences with them so I would leave them off entirely or leave them to last. Heck, if they see a ground swell of support at grassroots they might jump on board to something they might have otherwise passed up. Also, NRA might already have some program or relationship with BSA--both groups go way back, meaning they might unappreciate something that interferes or makes waves in an existing relationship. If you go to the NRA, be ready for them to try take ownership of it. They'll want to use it to promote themselves which means they will suddenly promote to their membership how they are at the forefront of expanding gun rights by working with BSA to...you get the idea.

Last edited: