• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FAILURE REPORT – BLACKHAWK SPORTSTER NYLON HOLSTER Model# B990234BK

JAQUEBAUER

My Blackhawk Sportster holster failed while walking to a table in an Outback Steak House. The Holster
slid off the metal belt clip and dropped to the floor. I carry a SW .40 and a spare mag in this holster,
which was about a year old, and carried 2-3 times per week. I carry on the right side. Analysis of the
failure reviled that the nylon sleeve that the metal belt clip slides into and is retained by an "L" bend had
"flared out" sufficiently so that "L" bend no longer held the holster, whereby the holster slipped off belt
clip and dropped. The metal belt clip remained attached to my belt. The short end of the "L" bend is
not long enough to retain the holster after the nylon stretches or frays from use. This holster design
obviously was not tested sufficiently before marketed. The “Removable Spring-Steel Clip” is not
designed correctly to provide positive retention of the nylon holster as the holster ages and the nylon
stretches. The end of the nylon sleeve is not stitched to prevent fraying of “flaring out.” There are
several different ways this can be fixed, without adding to the cost or complexity. I strongly
recommend owners of this holster inspect their holster for "flaring" and stretching of the nylon sleeve
where the metal clip rests. This holster has a "Limited lifetime warranty" - so theoretically they should
replace it with this type of defect. I will be contacting the manufacturer. This is a low cost holster that
may be acceptable for occasion able carry, but not sufficiently durable to last beyond a year. If you are
carrying a $ 500 plus firearm, a heavier duty better designed holster should be considered. I have
learned a valuable lesson. You get what you pay for, as it was under $20.

Model# B990234BK

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackhawk-Sportster-Ambidextrous-Holster/16879884?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=51430507497&category=0%3A4125%3A1107532%3A1110770%3A1096191&client_guid=57c187db-9677-4614-a180-6e406252f979&config_id=0&parent_item_id=20754648&guid=26be7d83-4822-42f3-a5e0-3c62840e2384&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n%23Specifications

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm just not a fan of "clip-on" style OWB holsters for so many reasons - see them as a weak compromise. ymmv

For OWB carry a good belt slide leather holster with a thumb break is hard to beat and will not fall off your belt. IMHO. They will cost more than $20.00 but will work better than a el cheapo nylon holster.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

My Blackhawk Sportster holster failed while walking to a table in an Outback Steak House. The Holster
slid off the metal belt clip and dropped to the floor.
Model# B990234BK

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackhawk...cket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n#Specifications

Please take some time and Carefully Inspect how the webbing is sewn onto the holster!
If you ell cheapo holster is like one I still have, in permanent storage,
you will find that your stupid clip is retained in a vertical slot through a layer of webbing.
Look closely again and I think you will find an other, horizontal slot through an other layer of webbing!
Dump the clip!! Thread your belt through the horizontal slot as you thread it through
your pants belt loops,,, and voila!!
If I am right,,, you will be much relieved...

Marco

slid off the metal belt clip and dropped to the floor. I carry a SW .40 and a spare mag in this holster,
which was about a year old, and carried 2-3 times per week. I carry on the right side. Analysis of the
failure reviled that the nylon sleeve that the metal belt clip slides into and is retained by an "L" bend had
"flared out" sufficiently so that "L" bend no longer held the holster, whereby the holster slipped off belt
clip and dropped. The metal belt clip remained attached to my belt. The short end of the "L" bend is
not long enough to retain the holster after the nylon stretches or frays from use. This holster design
obviously was not tested sufficiently before marketed. The “Removable Spring-Steel Clip” is not
designed correctly to provide positive retention of the nylon holster as the holster ages and the nylon
stretches. The end of the nylon sleeve is not stitched to prevent fraying of “flaring out.” There are
several different ways this can be fixed, without adding to the cost or complexity. I strongly
recommend owners of this holster inspect their holster for "flaring" and stretching of the nylon sleeve
where the metal clip rests. This holster has a "Limited lifetime warranty" - so theoretically they should
replace it with this type of defect. I will be contacting the manufacturer. This is a low cost holster that
may be acceptable for occasion able carry, but not sufficiently durable to last beyond a year. If you are
carrying a $ 500 plus firearm, a heavier duty better designed holster should be considered. I have

Model# B990234BK

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackhawk...cket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n#Specifications

Well probably at the same Walmart those on a budget could get something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACKHAWK...lock-17-22-S-W-M-P-Ruger-SR9-Sig-229/20754647 until funds are available for a higher quality holster.

Or something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACKHAWK...lock-17-22-S-W-M-P-Ruger-SR9-Sig-229/20754647

We all make mistakes and if you're around guns long enough you to will have a box full of holsters that just didn't work well for you. I'll imagine this one might just be the first one in your box.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've been known to refuse to do tactical training to clients that do not have what I consider to be a holster of high-enough quality. But my clientele are the type to pay me to take them holster shopping.

jeeper1

It is my opinion the the metal clip is only for when the holster is inside the pants (CC). The belt loops are for outside the belt (OC) or when the holster is between the belt and pants (semi concealed). Like I said, that's my opinion, and I could be wrong but that's the way I carry my S&W 642 when I can't OC my XD40. Oh, and the metal clip on my cheap no name holster has a ""U" shape on the bottom end that makes it hard to remove the thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is my opinion the the metal clip is only for when the holster is inside the pants (CC). The belt loops are for outside the belt (OC) or when the holster is between the belt and pants (semi concealed). Like I said, that's my opinion, and I could be wrong but that's the way I carry my S&W 642 when I can't OC my XD40. Oh, and the metal clip on my cheap no name holster has a ""U" shape on the bottom end that makes it hard to remove the thing.
The metal clip will be on opposite sides of the holster for OWB vs IWB - have never seen one that was reversible.

There are belt loops for both OWB & IWB.

Also there is really no such thing as "semi-concealed". Virginia defines concealed as not discernible to common observation and open carry as readily identifiable - those are not cited quotes, but generally accurate.

jeeper1

First "semi concealed" was not meant as a legal term but rather as an observation because when the gun and holster is between the belt and pants it is noticeably more likely to be over looked by others because it tends to blend in with the clothing.
Secondly all ambidextrous holsters that I am familiar with of this type the metal clip is removable using a butter knife to let the clip be removed.
Taurus_85_and_holster_1.jpg

Taurus_85_and_holster.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Ooops - nice catch.

Everyone's been so busy reading the story, we failed to put it in perspective with the state of origin - such OC as described would not be legal in Florida. Of course the OP did not actually say he was in Florida at the time, nevertheless............

Actually, I was thinking that the story did not say he was OC at the time.

WalkingWolf

Model# B990234BK

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackhawk-Sportster-Ambidextrous-Holster/16879884?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=51430507497&category=0%3A4125%3A1107532%3A1110770%3A1096191&client_guid=57c187db-9677-4614-a180-6e406252f979&config_id=0&parent_item_id=20754648&guid=26be7d83-4822-42f3-a5e0-3c62840e2384&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n%23Specifications

Badda Bing Badda Boom

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, I was thinking that the story did not say he was OC at the time.
You are correct Mac - don't know where I got that :(

Deleted my referenced post as not accurate - thanks for straightening me out.....its been a long day.

Mattimusmaximus

So how did you recover? This is one of my fears.. Walk somewhere and drop or break.. And my gun is on the ground.. Now that I have a stablished that my holster is crap do you pick it up treat it like a dirty pair of underwear pinch it till you get to the car? Or did you just stick it in your pants? I assume this is what I would do.. Anyone?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

FreeInAZ

For those on a budget ACE CASE makes high quality holsters in leather and nylon backed by a lifetime warranty and proundly made in the USA for over 40 years. I use them for my HI-POINT 45's. If they can lug those heavy pistols, chances are they can work for yours. ;)

http://acecase.com/

Motofixxer

Last edited:

JAQUEBAUER

So how did you recover? This is one of my fears.. Walk somewhere and drop or break.. And my gun is on the ground.. Now that I have a stablished that my holster is crap do you pick it up treat it like a dirty pair of underwear pinch it till you get to the car? Or did you just stick it in your pants? I assume this is what I would do.. Anyone?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Recovery was, "Oh ****, what the hell was that" which I said to my Wife, who was 3 steps ahead of me. I looked down and behind and there it was. I turned 360 to see if anyone was looking and as I passed the holstered weapon I kind of swooped it up, held it to my thigh with my right hand covering it, and kept walking to the booth where she was already seated. I slid in and sat, with the weapon between my left leg and the wall, waiting for the waitress to leave. It was then I noticed the belt clip missing. I left the weapon on the seat and brought the holster to the tabletop to get a better look and to refit the belt clip, which was still attached to my belt. The waitress must have seen me with the holster on the table, as a short while later the manager came to the table and said that "someone reported seeing a gun at this table." I told her that I was adjusting the holster, but at no time was a weapon exposed and on the table. She asked if I was permitted and I told her yes, would you like to see the permit. She declined, and left. I fully expected a visit from the boys in uniform, and so my apetite for a steak had left about the time the manager showed up. The Outback was in Ormond Beach, Florida on SR 40, and there were no signs on the door banning CCW. We were left alone to eat our lunch and the joke at the table was that no one was seated anywhere around us. In fact, until this event occurred, and I searched the net, I was not aware that Outback had a reputation for being inhospitable for those that carry. We had taken few days camping vacation and I used this Blackhawk model for the convenience of the belt clip, easy on and off, not having to unfasten a belt. Unfortunatly it was too easy off. I have tried Inside the pants carry, but found it to be too dam uncomfortable, even after trying 3 or 4 different types. Ive got many rigs in leather and nylon, belted SERPA, Kydex, Leather, factory and home stitched, a dam box full. I grabbed this nylon Blackhawk for the trip and never examined it closely, and with the intent to find its weaknesses and failure points. We live in South Florida where the heat and humidity at times can drive your choices in hardware--choosing comfort instead of durabliity. Its an awfully humbling experience.

So far Blackhawk has not responded to my feedback...............

g21sfpistol

Banned
this is why most people are going to these kydex plastic like holsters. nylon and leather tend to wear after a few years depending on where you live. florida humidity can be harsh.