• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri OC public relations and organization web site.

ChiangShih

While setting up the first of the monthly meets at the Starbucks I was posed a question by KCPD, public safety, and the fox reporter. “…who are you with?” / “…what is the name of your organization?” I was at a loss for a moment and responded something along the lines of “we are just a collective group of like minded OC activists who meet on a forum at opencarry.org.” After responding each time I couldn’t help but feel my response was pretty inadequate and took away from the level of professionalism we all try to exert while OCing. In a way, I felt it made the movement seem less organized than it is or can be. I was also uncomfortable with the fact that the news listed Opencarry.org under our names while we have no real or legal affiliation with OCDO outside of being registered members on the forum. Obviously, I don’t mind being affiliated with OCDO, but I felt it gave the impression we were somehow officially or administratively representing OCDO. Again, that doesn’t necessarily bother me; however, I can see where there may be some legal grey areas or discomfort from the actual administrative and official OCDO representatives. This situation got me thinking, though OCDO is a great site for socializing and organizing, it would be nice to have an informative and public relations website, specifically for the Missouri OC movement. This website will be strictly informative listing upcoming meetings, information, and links for MO residents. A Missouri OC website would also serve to “humanize” the face of the pro-gun and specifically pro-open carry groups while acting as a great PR tool. One idea I had in mind for the public relations side is a contact section; the thought behind the contact section is that regional leaders/representatives/head activists will volunteer their contact information for inquiring new members, media PR, or other gun groups looking to organize. In time the site will contain photos of events and members and IMO serve to put a more organized and legitimate face on our state branch of the OC movement as a whole. Again, this website is not intended to take anything away from OCDO, in fact I hope to obtain permission to link OCDO Missouri forum from the Missouri open carry site (making it clear that they are two separate entities for legal reasons of course) and linking the main OCDO website as the national affiliate (again this is assuming the administrators here would be ok with it.) I’ve started putting the idea together; however, it is still in its formative stages. I hope to have enough of it compiled by the next meeting so I can see what you guys think. As for those of you who are STL side or cannot make it to the meets I’ll have the link and updates up shortly. I personally think the idea of an “organizational front page” for the activists on all sides of MO is a step in the right direction. I feel with everyone’s input and cooperation it can and will be a great resource; not to mention, a pretty fun endeavor for those who want to participate. Let me know what you think.

Broondog

a number of us were working towards just such an end not that long ago. the .org had a name, bylaws and code of conduct/set goals laid out. then the Thanksgiving and Christmas season came along and most gave their free time to their families.

the website was next on our list but never came to fruition. i would be willing to lend my support to any who get a new ball rolling OR who gives the old ball a new push.

SavageOne

I would certainly welcome a stand alone organization. It is the many state organized groups that are moving the OC movement along. I am not trying to disrespect OCDO, I am grateful for the meeting place they have provided. OCDO, however is not a lobbying group of any kind. There is no national, state, or local campaign being proposed or implemented by the administrators of OCDO(and they are the only ones who can claim to speak for their website). WI, VA, FL, and AZ are all examples of states that have formed independent groups whose motivation is to lobby and help change the laws and the perception of OC in their respective states. The only way we will get the laws of MO changed is to do it in state and not rely on a "national" group to try and help us. I would love to see a state org. that I can get involved with and one that is there to help coordinate all the various local efforts. If something like that comes in to being, count me in to help in any way I can

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
It sounds good to me

I would be happy to donate a website, domain and hosting, I got a hosting server that runs all my sites so there would be no expense involved.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just a suggestion that you not limit yourself to just OC. There will be many laws, situations etc that will fall outside that narrow constraint.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League (www.vcdl.org) has served as a model for several state organizations. We are primarily a lobby and educational organization dedicated to furthering and protecting the 2A rights of all people within the state - whether they choose to OC or CC. Spend some time on our site - you may get some worth while ideas.

OCDO would not but support the formation of individual state groups of this nature. It puts boots on the ground where they can do the most good - you are far better equipped to address local issues than a national blog site. Don't leave OCDO - incorporate the strengths of both.

sohighlyunlikely

Just a suggestion that you not limit yourself to just OC. There will be many laws, situations etc that will fall outside that narrow constraint.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League (www.vcdl.org) has served as a model for several state organizations. We are primarily a lobby and educational organization dedicated to furthering and protecting the 2A rights of all people within the state - whether they choose to OC or CC. Spend some time on our site - you may get some worth while ideas.

OCDO would not but support the formation of individual state groups of this nature. It puts boots on the ground where they can do the most good - you are far better equipped to address local issues than a national blog site. Don't leave OCDO - incorporate the strengths of both.

We have a Missouri Carry organization. The problem being they were formed with the goal of gaining the Conceal Carry in Missouri. They are now becoming somewhat tolerant to OC talk, but for the most part A lot of them do not want OC. If it was to fodder in the news, for fear it may effect CCW and if it was common practice it would effect their bread and butter. Teaching CCW classes.

In Missouri OC can sometimes be a dividing line with our CCW crowd.

Doc

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We have a Missouri Carry organization. The problem being they were formed with the goal of gaining the Conceal Carry in Missouri. They are now becoming somewhat tolerant to OC talk, but for the most part A lot of them do not want OC. If it was to fodder in the news, for fear it may effect CCW and if it was common practice it would effect their bread and butter. Teaching CCW classes.

Doc

Unfortunate that the dollar can carry more weight than principle, especial from those that most deny it. Never actually heard an instructor say that his/her reason for opposing legal OC was that it would take money from their pocket, but it is what it is.

From my distant perspective, a group advocating both has the power to attract greater numbers - numbers being power. VCDL did in fact start as a grass roots organization whose principal goal was to make the accessibility of concealed carry permits available to greater number - moved may issue to shall issue. Only after obtaining that did the focus shift to fully embracing the option, the choice, to OC or CC.

Obviously you know your conditions better than I possibly could. Whatever direction you take, I wish you the best. OC is the most honest and IMO the most effective means of both self-defense and education. Carry on.

ChiangShih

Loving all the positive responses.

@ ComSec, thanks for the offer but the domain and server are taken care of for now. However, I know you have a lot more experience in web design and hosting/advertising so I definitely want to chat with you about some of the design and ideas. Also, once I get the link section up I wanted to ask if you would be ok with me linking your open carry map and survival bus as affiliate links.

@Grapeshot, I completely agree and I don't see any reason we wouldn't be friendly to all 2A supporters. That said, since this idea is still in its formative stages I want to build the infrastructure from an MO OC standpoint and then expand out.

@Broondog, thanks for the support, I've got a lot ideas in the works that I need help formulating from the community. If you have any ideas or problems that you guys encountered on the other project let me know. I'll keep posting progress and communal development projects (ex. the FAQ sections for MO OCers) I'd like to get a thread going where everyone can contribute their most frequently asked questions while OCing to help develop the FAQ page. Anyway, keep in touch and like I said if you have any questions or specific ideas let me know.

Last edited:

Big Boy

I've been wanting something like this for a long time. I will help in anyway needed.

cshoff

Doc

You certainly don't do anything to keep my support, or garner more of it, with talk like that. You can count the number of Missouri instructors making a living off of teaching CCW classes on one hand (perhaps less). Why would any instructor want to be part of a group that would make them out to be nothing but a bunch of greedy, self-serving jerks?

cshoff

a number of us were working towards just such an end not that long ago. the .org had a name, bylaws and code of conduct/set goals laid out. then the Thanksgiving and Christmas season came along and most gave their free time to their families.

the website was next on our list but never came to fruition. i would be willing to lend my support to any who get a new ball rolling OR who gives the old ball a new push.

I put a number of hours into developing materials for the, what appears to now be defunct, organization. I would have no problem with that work being "transfered" over to a new group that might get good use out of it.

ETA - Also, Broondog, is there any way we can access the information that was posted in the OC forum on that site? There were a couple of things I posted there that I can't find my files for. Would be nice to be able to retrieve them.

Last edited:

sohighlyunlikely

You certainly don't do anything to keep my support, or garner more of it, with talk like that. You can count the number of Missouri instructors making a living off of teaching CCW classes on one hand (perhaps less). Why would any instructor want to be part of a group that would make them out to be nothing but a bunch of greedy, self-serving jerks?

You good Sir are my favorite exception to that depiction of people invested in CCW You have been completely supportive and helpful in any way you could. As far as the number of instructors making their full time employment from firearms instruction I find to be a moot point. For the sake of the point I have made, If they hold a current license to instruct CCW then I shall label them as CCW instructors. As a matter of point. I believe that you may be the only commercially practicing Missouri CCW instructor here on the Missouri section of OCDO.
But there has been a slow acceptance toward OC from the CCW crowd. Were it used to be that if OC had come up in a post on the CCW boards it was scoffed at called dangerous, reckless and inferior to conceal carry. Now these comments are rare or just implied in round about ways. Acceptance has started to transpire. Though I don't usually see acceptance posts from your fellow instructors these days just the courtesy to not post anything.

Doc
And I do apologies for my gruff ways. I speak in a way that leaves nothing to question of my perspective.

Broondog

I put a number of hours into developing materials for the, what appears to now be defunct, organization. I would have no problem with that work being "transfered" over to a new group that might get good use out of it.

ETA - Also, Broondog, is there any way we can access the information that was posted in the OC forum on that site? There were a couple of things I posted there that I can't find my files for. Would be nice to be able to retrieve them.

i'm pretty sure that stuff is still archived on that server. let me see if i can get access to it. it should be no problem.

i also have no problem with the transfer of our progress over to a new project. i don't care who runs it or takes credit for anything, just as long as it exists.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i also have no problem with the transfer of our progress over to a new project. i don't care who runs it or takes credit for anything, just as long as it exists.

That is a very refreshing and commendable response, particularly in light of some infighting going on between multiple/duplicate groups in other areas. Joining forces, being cooperative makes so much sense. When one wins, we all win.

ChiangShih

Just an update.

The website is coming along quite well. I hope to have the stable framework up and running by this week or next weekend. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. Either way, I will make a new thread with the links to the site and leave everything open for suggestions and opinions. I want to keep this all at a welcoming community level.