• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should my partner OC?

Badger Johnson

My female friend and I have discussed OC and she is adamantly against it for herself. The reason is pretty good. She's 5'4, 138lbs, a newbie to HG carry, but we've been going to the range and she can handle her gun(s). She is not a youngster and has small hands and relatively weak upper body.

She says that with OC you are giving away that you're armed, i.e. warning some aggressor, and she is worried about someone trying to take her gun.

I've thought about it and I really can't come up with a counter argument.

In fact if you consider that I would likely be the target of a mugging and if the BG ignores her, she could use her HG to best advantage below the radar.

Thoughts?

sultan62

OC is a deterrent.

However, if she wishes to CC, that is certainly her choice to make, and is much better than not carrying at all.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
OC

As mentioned in another thread there are very few cases where an OC'er has been targeted because of their gun, or been a victim of a gun grab. BG's don't like a fair fight, they will go find a woman with keys.

"In Illinois the State Police, on the ISP website, tell women they should defend themselves with car keys, rat tail combs, a teasing brush or pens and pencils. They don't even mention pepper spray. Of course one of their great recommendations is to stop a rapist "if all else fails throw up on yourself to make yourself less appealing!"

Quote from junglebob on another thread.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My female friend and I have discussed OC and she is adamantly against it for herself. The reason is .... She's 5'4, 138lbs, a newbie to HG carry, but we've been going to the range and she can handle her gun(s). She is not a youngster and has small hands and relatively weak upper body.

She says that with OC you are giving away that you're armed, i.e. warning some aggressor, and she is worried about someone trying to take her gun.

In fact if you consider that I would likely be the target of a mugging and if the BG ignores her, she could use her HG to best advantage below the radar.

Thoughts?

I'm going to take stuff in reverse order.

1) Just what makes you think you will be the target of the mugging? How about you are the target of getting bashed over the head/sucker punched and she is then targeted? She's the weaker one. right?

2) There is a three-figure reward for the first verified report of an OCer being targeted for their gun and having it taken away by a BG. It's been out there, uncollected, for several years.

2a) As others have said, and several peer-reviewed studies have confirmed, very few, if any, BGs do not like to confront OCers, including cops. Most gun grabs happen to cops while they are grappling with the BG.

3) As a HG newbie, just how good is she on her drawstroke from wherever she keeps her CC piece? How fast onto target? Is she significantly faster/better from OC?

Not that #3 matters that much. Some folks just do not want to OC because of whatever reason they have, whether they want to talk about it or not. (No, I am NOT suggesting she has a reason she does not want to tallk about.) The fact that she is willing to carry at all is great, wonderful, good, praiseworthy, etc., etc. The fact that she goes to the range with you is even better. The fact that she apparently has not beaten you at te range - YET, is just that.

I'm pretty sure that there are a whole bunch of folks whose first thought is - Does she have a sister? Other than that, the only thought I have is that you are one lucky guy.

stay safe.

eye95

My female friend and I have discussed OC and she is adamantly against it for herself. The reason is pretty good. She's 5'4, 138lbs, a newbie to HG carry, but we've been going to the range and she can handle her gun(s). She is not a youngster and has small hands and relatively weak upper body.

I've thought about it and I really can't come up with a counter argument.

Thoughts?

Respect her choice, but keep discussing the merits of CC and OC. Her fears of being targeted and of gun-grabs are unfounded. I know of not a single documented instance of either. Still, the most important thing is that she be prepared to defend herself. There are a lot of options how to accomplish that.

Keep talking. Keep training. Let her decide what works for her.

Badger Johnson

Wow you guys are good, heh. I really like the argument/comment that one poster made about whether she is faster on the draw CC than she would be OC with the gun on her right hip in a fast retention holster.

Yes, my gf likes guns. She now has a bunch of them and she'd rather go to the gun store and shop for a new pistol then go jewelry shopping. In fact she opened the new Gandermountain catalog and showed me a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip and raised her eyebrow and smiled - 'can we has this?,' she said, fluttering her eyelashes.

We're in the car coming back from the range and she says, 'man, we have to find a place to shoot outdoors, but if you'd let me I'd come to the range and shoot everyday'. I just roll my eyes and smile.

Um, no, she doesn't have a sister like her, and she is against having another threesome, unless, she said, it's Charlize Theron.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow you guys are good, heh. I really like the argument/comment that one poster made about whether she is faster on the draw CC than she would be OC with the gun on her right hip in a fast retention holster.

Yes, my gf likes guns. She now has a bunch of them and she'd rather go to the gun store and shop for a new pistol then go jewelry shopping. In fact she opened the new Gandermountain catalog and showed me a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip and raised her eyebrow and smiled - 'can we has this?,' she said, fluttering her eyelashes.

We're in the car coming back from the range and she says, 'man, we have to find a place to shoot outdoors, but if you'd let me I'd come to the range and shoot everyday'. I just roll my eyes and smile.

Um, no, she doesn't have a sister like her, and she is against having another threesome, unless, she said, it's Charlize Theron.

You got a keeper - keep her. :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Originally Posted by skidmark
2) There is a three-figure reward for the first verified report of an OCer being targeted for their gun and having it taken away by a BG. It's been out there, uncollected, for several years.

Who/What/Where? I would like to claim it.

You have to post your verified report and have it confirmed independently by folks here. As for your three questions, a basic search of OCDO should lead you to the answers.

As the claim has not been made lo these many years, none of us actually have bated breath, let alone are holding our breath waiting for one to surface. I'm sure you'd like to claim the reward, but in order to do that there first has to be an incident that meets the conditions and can be verified. None of this "my sister's hairdresser's nephew's parole officer said" stuff.

stay safe.

XD40coyote

She could join a gym and do weight training to strengthen up, then learn retention training. The weight training doesn't really matter, but it could be a confidence booster for her when combined with retention training.

I used to work out the upper body with an 8 pound dumb bell in each hand. One was working the muscles involved in throwing a punch. I also was a good sprinter so long as I wasn't going up hill. Then there was the big dog. Lastly, my "you die" look LOL. I'm probably stronger than most women by virtue of me carrying heavy stuff around alot. I was getting carpal tunnel, but a chiropractor got my neck back into line and that is now gone, so my grip strength is back and quite fine. My weakness is genetic lower back problems.

5'4" and 138, she sounds like she has some heft to her ( I was once 5'5" and 120 and didn't look like a total twig- was a size 10). I doubt anyone would try to mess with her if she is OCing and she keeps the SA up and looks confident.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll take that reward, thank you very much.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200707030884.html

Doesn't qualify. That involved LE and was not in the USA.

Let me give you the full details of the challenge:

Show me one instance anywhere in these United States in modern times where a legal OCer has been preemptively taken out by a BG. Verifiable cites must be provided and law enforcement, security officers and military are excluded.

The 2nd challenge reads:
Show me one instance anywhere in these United States in modern times where a legal OCer has had his handgun snatched by a BG. Again with verifiable cites and LEO, security officers and military excluded. Note being relieved of a carry weapon (OC or CC) during the course of a robbery does Not qualify.

As a footnote to both is the statement that such will according to the odds of probability likely happen some day; however, when such does it will yield a numerical equivalent of something near .000001% Better odds you will be hard pressed to locate and will then be used to support the contention that OC is not unsafe.

There never was a reward offered - that was Skid's sarcasm showing through as 100 pennies would meet his reward offer. The person that does locate such a rare occurrence though will gain notoriety as the one who confirmed the validity of our premise by finding the one exception to the rule.

Several "finds" have been offered over the years either to be disproved or like yours not satisfying the standards. What we are looking for is the normal everyday citizen, going about his normal everyday business and having the distinction of meeting fate head on.

Look some more. We'll be here waiting.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

sharkey

Several "finds" have been offered over the years either to be disproved or like yours not satisfying the standards. What we are looking for is the normal everyday citizen, going about his normal everyday business and having the distinction of meeting fate head on.

Look some more. We'll be here waiting.

Oh, there were stipulations? Like citizen, here in the good ol' U.S., not during a crime, not in commission of a crime, not disarmed by L.E., not from a drunken passed out O.C.'er? Can you point me to the first thread with all these darn rules? Not encouraged by this here very contest on this forum?

Well those odds are pretty slim. And yes, I was being sarcastic too even in those links I posted. I knew that it has happened somewhere at sometime. At least according to Schrödinger.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Come on guys, we are not talking about Somoli pirates or Afgan insurgents.

We are talking about you and I types - in this country of ours - and today not 200 years ago when the British were our antagonists.

Point is OC is quite safe and effective. Knock yourself out looking for that one hen's tooth. :lol: