• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Amendmant on SB234! Getting back open carry

MustangPython00

Ok guys, does this mean that they added Open Carry back onto the bill ? It was added 5/3/11

Any person in compliance with the terms of
19 such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm
20 notwithstanding s. 790.01 or may carry openly
21 notwithstanding s. 790.053. The licensee must carry the license,
22 together with valid identification, at all times in which the
23 licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or
24 firearm and must display both the license and proper
25 identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0234/Amendment/733353/HTML

Last edited:

Willm3053

It be nice if they changed it last minute, maybe a change of heart, yeah right.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

j4l

No,it was merely a political stunt/taunt/tease that got someone positive attention for a moment,before yanking it at the last minute and surrendering to the Senate.
A dog and pony show that went nowhere.

Rich7553

No,it was merely a political stunt/taunt/tease that got someone positive attention for a moment,before yanking it at the last minute and surrendering to the Senate.
A dog and pony show that went nowhere.

Incorrect. Sen Abruzzo's amendment and desire to restore the bill to its original form was genuine. However, the House leadership would not let the bill come to the floor without his withdrawing the amendment. There were too many representatives that had concerns about open carry and didn't want to have to vote on it, risking being labelled anti-2A. With Abruzzo's amendment withdrawn, they could vote for the watered down bill and still claim they are pro-gun.

Why do you think HB 517 sat at the House floor without being heard for so long?

Last edited:

Prophet

Incorrect. Sen Abruzzo's amendment and desire to restore the bill to its original form was genuine. However, the House leadership would not let the bill come to the floor without his withdrawing the amendment. There were too many representatives that had concerns about open carry and didn't want to have to vote on it, risking being labelled anti-2A. With Abruzzo's amendment withdrawn, they could vote for the watered down bill and still claim they are pro-gun.

So you are basically defending appeasement? Seeing how well that worked out in ol' WWII, chalk me up as someone who thinks that no bill is better than a sham. Because even though WE see RINO's for what they are they are going to fool the Pro 2A voters who aren't as dialed into the process as those here by pointing to their support of this bill. Enough theatre to get re-elected but not enough courage to actually make a change.

rvrctyrngr

So you are basically defending appeasement? Seeing how well that worked out in ol' WWII, chalk me up as someone who thinks that no bill is better than a sham. Because even though WE see RINO's for what they are they are going to fool the Pro 2A voters who aren't as dialed into the process as those here by pointing to their support of this bill. Enough theatre to get re-elected but not enough courage to actually make a change.

I don't think he's defending anything. Merely stating what happened, in no uncertain terms.

Prophet

Yeah...you're probably right. Im just a so pissed off at the whole process and seeing RINO's and fake 2A supporters everywhere that I'm reading too much into things. As an OC'er in PA its just really tough to move to Florida for work and have to conceal carry.

Rich7553

Yeah...you're probably right. Im just a so pissed off at the whole process and seeing RINO's and fake 2A supporters everywhere that I'm reading too much into things. As an OC'er in PA its just really tough to move to Florida for work and have to conceal carry.

He is right. I was merely stating what happened. But we're already in the process of setting up for next year's run. Obviously, the more fencesitters and antis we can send packing in the legislature, the better.

~*'Phoenix'*~

He is right. I was merely stating what happened. But we're already in the process of setting up for next year's run. Obviously, the more fencesitters and antis we can send packing in the legislature, the better.

Any recommendations yet as to how us individuals can help early on? face-to-face meets with this year's anti's? write to NRA/USF?

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Any recommendations yet as to how us individuals can help early on? face-to-face meets with this year's anti's? write to NRA/USF?

To quote the great Jimmy Buffett: "breathe in, breathe out, move on." I leave the question to the more knowledgeable, but are they really gonna listen NOW? Now is the time to lick our wounds, ponder individually, then get our minds together and come up with something bulletproof, with our individual contributions coming into account.

A nice little conference room in the Rosen, in the middle of the state, should not be out of the question for most of us. If it's a small group, we can meet in a public meeting ground (they have the mother of all bars, with supple seats). Think of your individual ideas and let's vote them up, down, or sideways. Unity is key and we don't have it... YET.

We have a member who's thinking of a run. We want him there. We need more and we need to pinpoint the "eight" who need to go and on whom we need to focus PAC. more runners in the right districts.

We need pro-OC members from sellout districts who can either get themselves there or a house member who is willing to run the right way, and whom we would be willing to support.

This should be a 25-75 person pow-wow, but it should be in person. If your are in Miami, we can carpool as long as you bring your ACU Boonie and prepare for my convertible's Wrath on the Florida Turnpike.

This is doable. Thoughts?

It's 3-4 hours away from me, and should not be further from most everyone here.

Last edited:

j4l

To quote the great Jimmy Buffett: "breathe in, breathe out, move on." I leave the question to the more knowledgeable, but are they really gonna listen NOW? Now is the time to lick our wounds, ponder individually, then get our minds together and come up with something bulletproof, with our individual contributions coming into account.

A nice little conference room in the Rosen, in the middle of the state, should not be out of the question for most of us. If it's a small group, we can meet in a public meeting ground (they have the mother of all bars, with supple seats). Think of your individual ideas and let's vote them up, down, or sideways. Unity is key and we don't have it... YET.

We have a member who's thinking of a run. We want him there. We need more and we need to pinpoint the "eight" who need to go and on whom we need to focus PAC. more runners in the right districts.

We need pro-OC members from sellout districts who can either get themselves there or a house member who is willing to run the right way, and whom we would be willing to support.

This should be a 25-75 person pow-wow, but it should be in person. If your are in Miami, we can carpool as long as you bring your ACU Boonie and prepare for my convertible's Wrath on the Florida Turnpike.

This is doable. Thoughts?

It's 3-4 hours away from me, and should not be further from most everyone here.

Sounds real good to me. Face-face sit--downs are more productive,I think, than a bunch of internet chatter. And,yes -as many candidates,in as many districts as possible would be ideal. A minimum of 6-preferably 9. And an agreed-upon,State-wide strategy-unified.

77zach

Maybe we have a primary House sponsor then for next year? It will look really bad for a Democratic Rep to be introducing pro gun-rights bills and having R's vote against him. He stumbled some on the Floor but we can educate him better.

And what's up with Sen Anthony Hill? He voted yes for the gutted SB 234. If he's for real open carry, a Dem senator signing on would look good too.

Last edited:

j4l

Maybe we have a primary House sponsor then for next year? It will look really bad for a Democratic Rep to be introducing pro gun-rights bills and having R's vote against him. He stumbled some on the Floor but we can educate him better.

And what's up with Sen Anthony Hill? He voted yes for the gutted SB 234. If he's for real open carry, a Dem senator signing on would look good too.

Im not so sure on this one-with the significance behind having a D or R after their names.For one, the roles appear to be reversing from what one would normally expect sometimes. Take Crist,for a prime example. Gop folks drove him in, then he performed an almost immediate about-face and gave the voters the finger.And he paid the price for that too,didnt he?
Either way-they all seem to be trampling over one another to shaft us. Almost seem to be trying to out-shaft us and one-up one another.
Yet another reason both parties need to pack their bags.

Prophet

You know what? Screw Open Carry next year. I say we kick out all the anti's and go for the brass ring (brass...get it...like shell casings) and push for Constitutional Carry. Its picking up states one by one...why not use this setback to spring forward something even better.

j4l

You know what? Screw Open Carry next year. I say we kick out all the anti's and go for the brass ring (brass...get it...like shell casings) and push for Constitutional Carry. Its picking up states one by one...why not use this setback to spring forward something even better.

You know, you do have a point..potentially a really good one. Get the like-minded nation-wide, to unite in some manner, and co-ordinate their effort both locally (States) and Nationally....hmmmmm. Large numbers across multiple States-working to replace their State and Federal representation.....Not unheard of, if the last election was any indication...

77zach

That would be nice, but that won't happen next year. We'll be lucky to get licensed OC. Constitutional carry would take a truly massive grass roots effort to get anti's out in 2012. We have almost zero representation in Florida. 40 Senators cover over 18 million people. New Hampshire has twice as many reps!!! Add to this the problem that even gun people, like Mr Gutmacher, are willing to stab our rights in the back so he can hide a derringer in his fanny pack when he goes to Walmart and feel special because he has a government permission slip.

It's very easy for big business and other interests like The Mouse to bully a couple Senators. It would be harder if they had 200 to deal with.

Last edited:

j4l

That would be nice, but that won't happen next year. We'll be lucky to get licensed OC. Constitutional carry would take a truly massive grass roots effort to get anti's out in 2012. We have almost zero representation in Florida. 40 Senators cover over 18 million people. New Hampshire has twice as many reps!!! Add to this the problem that even gun people, like Mr Gutmacher, are willing to stab our rights in the back so he can hide a derringer in his fanny pack when he goes to Walmart and feel special because he has a government permission slip.

It's very easy for big business and other interests like The Mouse to bully a couple Senators. It would be harder if they had 200 to deal with.

But there again, why limit oneself to thinking only in terms of having to deal with the same boneheads in those seats in Tally. Next year, sure? But in the years after?
Ok so we dont get OC for another yr or 4. But...if we begin the process of replacing them with some of ours,down the road?.....Folks who may just slam the door in the face of The Mouse rather than getting on their knees for them?

j4l

Well it's not just the "rinos" it's both sides of that aisle,and in my opinion, as many of them as can be displaced as possible. It took a majority of votes to kill this thing-those votes came from both directions- the rest...sat on their hands. Which,in my book, is as guilty as the rest.