• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not an OC event in particular

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Hey folks,

gonna take a bit of a break from things for a while. Gonna head down to the offroad park in Fulton next Saturday and Sunday.

It will not be an OC thing, most parks do not allow firearms. Not so much anti-gun as it is to restrict hunting from the feedback I have gotten from a few. I am not sure about the one in Fulton, nor do I care, just gonna go hit the trails! depending upon the timing MIGHT go shooting as well in Columbia or Jeff city.

For anyone here who might like to join us, at this time there are three 4wd with a 4th maybe. It is a nice park and all of the obstacles have bypass routes so stock jeeps can make it without significant risk of damage. it is just great to be outdoors and having a good time away from it all.

We do have some rules everyone must agree to that wheels with us, most find them acceptable.

1. Everyone goes home. Anyone can break something or make a mistake but no one gets left to fend for themselves, we all leave the park together unless prior arrangements are discussed.

2. Only one spotter per obstacle. If a driver is being spotted you can video, you can watch, you can gasp or you can clap when they get past it but no feedback from the peanut gallery while the spotting is going on. It is hard enough to trust another to guide you through something you are nervous about without ten others telling you something else. Spotting signals are discussed prior to hitting the trail.

3. No trail blazing unless the park has sanctioned it. Stay on trail and tread lightly. We pick up litter as opposed to depositing it, keep your trash in your gear and put it in the proper place.

4. Your rig has to be safe. We do not do inspections but if you have a convertible rig and no roll bar, we are not going to watch you die.

5. Discuss your limitations freely. If you are totally new, we need to know. No one wants a newbie to wheeling to have a bad first experience because his rig has 10" of clearance and there is a 12" rock in the way. Most of us have been doing it for years and we all started off new too. There is no reason to be macho and just try and work through it.

6. It is NOT a race, in fact it can be real freakin slow. There is one moderate trail that is 5.5 miles long, the fastest time through it has been 2 hours, most of the time it is much closer to 4. It has even been walked in front of the rigs before, enjoy and relax is the reason we are there.

7. Have fun. No whining, no gripes, no fussing, just relax and enjoy the woods and leave all that other stuff behind.

Here are some photos:

1000029qc5.jpg

creepinun0.jpg

wheeeeeeee.jpg

hpim0834.jpg

1000323l.jpg

lordmorpheus

Sounds like an awesome idea! I have been wanting to go to that park for quite some time now, but have not had the time, or the people I have wanted to go with have been busy. I just happen to have this Saturday off, and would LOVE to meet up!

My only worry is the summer/street tires I have on my vehicle.

Festus_Hagen

Potawatomi ?

:)

I MAY be able to show up one day if we don't go camping. That's still on the plate but not for sure right now. I'm in Jeff and have a membership to a great range just outsida town if you get this way . Rifles or pistols, don't matter.

I have not been wheelin' for awhile and would really like to do this if it plays out !

My Toy . :D

04102010058.jpg

cornstock08054.jpg

320july19th102.jpg

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Sounds like an awesome idea! I have been wanting to go to that park for quite some time now, but have not had the time, or the people I have wanted to go with have been busy. I just happen to have this Saturday off, and would LOVE to meet up!

My only worry is the summer/street tires I have on my vehicle.

If you take note, the tires on my heep are street tires in the photos, Michelin highway tires. Most of the time we go down south and the entire thing is gravel/rock aka my street tires worked better than swampers do on pea gravel because they stay on top of instead of digging in.

I will ask Festus for more feed back on that part because Potawami does have mudding as well and streets are not going to fare well at all on the mud runs. They have a boat load of trails there. I have not been there hence I am going there. Dave a buddy of mine was there a couple of weeks ago and has said he wants to change the planned Potosi trip to Fulton. He knows his stuff and if he says there are stocker bypasses, then they are there.

Festus? How about the trails, street tires gonna cut it? I know they would no the rock piles, I am just not familiar with the trails like I am down south.

FYI lordmorpheus, Dave is going down on Friday night, I will not be leaving until 2-4pm on Saturday and will wheel or night wheel if allowed and then wheel until around 2 or 3 Sunday. My spa Diva lovely maiden will not tent camp with me and since I sold the trailer we will be staying at a hotel in fulton or kindom city.

The other concern lordmorph, Dave, myself, and it looks like Festus too all have recovery gear so pretty much no matter how bad you get it stuck we can pull you out. That is a 10k winch on the front of that silver jeep of mine, it has yet to stall tugging anyone. If Jeff comes along he has one too so you have little worries about getting stuck, I just want the feedback on the trails so you are not on some slick clay trail feeling like ice skates lol.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Potawatomi ?

I have not been wheelin' for awhile and would really like to do this if it plays out !

My Toy . :D

04102010058.jpg

Yeah Potawatomi for sure.

Sure, come on out and burn some fuel.

I like the heep in the second and third photo but where is it in the one above with the AR in it? I can't find the heep anywhere!

Like your rails, was going to cant mine too but just did not seem like it was going to work out well on the WJ.

Festus_Hagen

Not sure what you mean about the pic :question: It was on some woody trails along the Mo River last year . :dude:

I have not been there for years and I was stock back then so didn't do alot of wheeling in the woods and the trails . I really can't give much insight on those .

I have a 10,000 pound winch as well. Maybe we can pull some oak trees up or something . :p

Last edited:

lordmorpheus

I'm not worried about getting stuck, knowing people will be there to lend a hand. I know firsthand about the perils of sticky mud and summer street tires. I offered to help a neighbor pull a laden trailer out of his backyard early this summer, and the exit through his gate was an uphill climb on damp sticky mud, with a railroad tie right at the gate. My tires quickly caked up, and I couldn't even make it over the tie. (of course traction control not working at the time made it even worse (now fixed) ) We had to finally have him tow me from the backyard and up the hill leaving the trailer behind, then him hook up to the trailer with his Escape, and me pull both up the hill once my vehicle was on semi-solid ground.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
:banghead: :D

LOL killercamero, you made the resident motorhead start banging his head!

Driven properly, if that F-150 has positrack, you could do a lot of trails, if it is single track you could do them but I would not recommend it. The problem with single track is you have to carry a lot of extra speed and speed created a lot of problems wheelin that involved damage. The suspension just gives a lot more and your ground clearance is significantly reduced.

I used to take a lot of 2wd trucks places 4wd were scared to venture. It is about picking the right line and using the minimum power, not as exciting as it can be on tv. Power breaks stuff and there is no fun in being drug out of the woods.

Anyone and any rig are welcome, no one is going to goat you into something beyond your own comfort, we do not do that to each other and no one is criticized for asking for a spot, I do myself a lot and I have been driving 4wd stuff in the woods for over 40 years, Asking for a spot is why my rig is not bent to heck and back.

The Stig

i'm up for some wheeling

i think the black pearl could manage most those trails
especially after the Snowpocalypse and some other wheeling adventures i've been on...

DSCN1075.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

h2.jpg

lordmorpheus

I am really looking forward to this, as long as you are good spotters. I wouldn't want to damage my pretty baby! I might have one or two additional vehicles coming: one person from my current job, and someone from prior job.

Is there a time and place set yet for meeting up?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I will be leaving the Wentzville area about 4pm on Saturday and will wheel Saturday evening or even night if the park allows it, then again on Sunday.

We will be staying at a hotel in kingdom city or fulton Saturday night and will head back to town around 2 I should imagine.

You can camp in the park, I could camp in the park but my spa diva lovely maiden says NO WAY lol.

Camping in the park is only 5 bucks.

If you want to convoy down we can set up a meeting place and time, or if you just want to meet at the park on Sunday morning that's fine too.

My buddy Dave, (the white jeep in photos) is going down either real early Saturday morning or Friday night he remains unsure.

I would imagine Festus will be meeting us on Sunday morning so it can go however you guys like.

The Stig

i'm free all day saturday but sunday i've gotta work...

evening/night wheeling sounds fun....i don't have big lights for no reason :p

Festus_Hagen

i'm free all day saturday but sunday i've gotta work...

evening/night wheeling sounds fun....i don't have big lights for no reason :p

I THINK the trails close at 10:00 . I was leaning towards Saturday myself. I'll have to play this by ear for now.

ALSO ... 50% chance of rain for Sunday, just FYI ...

Last edited:

lordmorpheus

Saturday is going to work best for me also as I have family coming from out of town on Sunday. As the time gets closer, we should exchange phone #s so we can pin down time/place for meeting up.

The Stig: I will see you at work Thursday, assuming the schedule hasn't been changed YET AGAIN.