• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

felonys & chl

jerry47

i read a post where even tho oregon has a statute on the books stating a felon can after 15 years and/or having the felony wiped cleaned,you still cannot own a weapon.not true.the law is the law.granted you may have to fight it out in court but it is what it is and a biased group of lawmakers in salem oregon can't preempt or prevent a standing law.if they do they are guilty of violating a persons civil rights which is a federal crime.once you pay your dues the law states you are to be treated as a non offender.now you can only have one non gun,knife sharp etc felony.any 2nd felony reinstates the original and then you have two.even oregon has to obey their own laws,i know,they don't in many casees but you do have states and federal rights.you can force them them to comply.but you better have courage to do so.

KBCraig

Welcome to the forum. If I may make a suggestion, you'll have a better conversation here if you make an attempt to use proper capitalization, punctuation, and paragraph breaks.

State law is not the only issue when it comes to felons and firearms. Federal law makes it illegal for anyone convicted of a felony to ever possess a firearm or ammunition, unless they receive restoration of their civil rights. It's extremely rare to ever get firearms rights back once they're lost.

By the way, I have seen people convicted and do federal time for possessing a firearm after a felony conviction, even in a state where it was legal after a certain time had passed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i read a post where even tho oregon has a statute on the books stating a felon can after 15 years and/or having the felony wiped cleaned,you still cannot own a weapon.not true.the law is the law.granted you may have to fight it out in court but it is what it is and a biased group of lawmakers in salem oregon can't preempt or prevent a standing law.if they do they are guilty of violating a persons civil rights which is a federal crime.once you pay your dues the law states you are to be treated as a non offender.now you can only have one non gun,knife sharp etc felony.any 2nd felony reinstates the original and then you have two.even oregon has to obey their own laws,i know,they don't in many casees but you do have states and federal rights.you can force them them to comply.but you better have courage to do so.

Laws are constantly being changed, revised, and amended. Even your preemption statute is not cast in stone for all time.

jerry47

correct spelling commas etc.

i thought this was a site to voice your opinion/understandings based on oregon laws about guns not a lesson in correct grammar.as a patriot even the feds cannot legally prevent or prempt a state law.our Constitution says we the people are the true government in America and because (WE) have let them(our elected servants):shocker: steal our rights and not band together to make them obey the laws of our land,it is our fault.when you pay your debt to society you are free to resume a law abiding life.the career criminals in our gov.have chiseled away our rights. here in oregon they are releasing felons weekly,some violent, because of lack of funding.it may come down to who really is going to protect you.no matter what a state or fed does or says.now does this suffice or do you have another problem with my statements and how they are typed.

jerry47

in stone

Laws are constantly being changed, revised, and amended. Even your preemption statute is not cast in stone for all time.

you are right!the point is the laws are being broken by the elected and we do,nothing.more and more people are open carrying in this state,as a statement.someday we may look back and try and remember what freedom really was like.stand up or be lay down its our choice!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i thought this was a site to voice your opinion/understandings based on oregon laws about guns not a lesson in correct grammar.as a patriot even the feds cannot legally prevent or prempt a state law.our Constitution says we the people are the true government in America and because (WE) have let them(our elected servants):shocker: steal our rights and not band together to make them obey the laws of our land,it is our fault.when you pay your debt to society you are free to resume a law abiding life.the career criminals in our gov.have chiseled away our rights. here in oregon they are releasing felons weekly,some violent, because of lack of funding.it may come down to who really is going to protect you.no matter what a state or fed does or says.now does this suffice or do you have another problem with my statements and how they are typed.

Making your post more easily understood should be a desirable thing, not a point of contention. The "suggestion" was well intended.

It is far better to begin with a smile and a handshake than with a fist and a challenge to our style.

badkarma

It's extremely rare to ever get firearms rights back once they're lost.

By extremely rare do you mean almost never or almost impossible? I can tell you I know how easy it is to get your gun rights restore in not only Washington but Oregon as well. It usually depends on the county that you were convicted in and the blowing of the wind at the time. But not unheard of and a fairly easy process.

clammmm

um

By extremely rare do you mean almost never or almost impossible? I can tell you I know how easy it is to get your gun rights restore in not only Washington but Oregon as well. It usually depends on the county that you were convicted in and the blowing of the wind at the time. But not unheard of and a fairly easy process.

My understanding was that poster was speaking about restoration at the Federal level, not state level.

Scvette

My understanding was that poster was speaking about restoration at the Federal level, not state level.

On the application to purchase a weapon form (4473) it asks have you ever been convicted of a felony answer yes or no,it also says look at exception 11c I believe,in there it says if your conviction was expunged ,set aside or I think if you received a pardon you should answer no to that question. So there you go if you were a felon and did get one of those you can get your rights back at the federal level.