• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCers told to leave local Walmarts. What's the deal?

sraacke

For years we have been told that Walmart follows local and state laws when it comes to carrying in their stores. We were told that individual managers could ask someone to leave IF there was a problem caused by the person carrying in the store. We were told that if we were told to not shop in our local Walmart while armed we should leave and contact corporate HQ and have the situation corrected.
Lately I've been seeing numerous reports of Open Carriers being asked to leave Louisiana Walmarts. One OCer refused to leave when asked (yes, I know, stupid move) and was eventually arrested by police. There is even a thread in the popular BayouShooter forum discussing OCers being asked to leave the Walmart in Hammond, La and how there has been a policy change at the Corporate level. Thread is at- http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?105723-Walmart-OC .
What are you hearing in your areas? Are OCers being told to leave Walmart stores? Has there been a policy change? What the heck is going on? Are we loosing the battle to win hearts and minds and normalize the carrying of handguns in public?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This "unofficial policy change" has all the earmarks of someone's personal preferences being pushed.

Of course, a polite inquiry to the District/Regional Manager, or to Corporate, might stop all the speculation about what is or is not taking place. (That's a HINT for those effected.) Be sure to get the names of the local store folks giving you the information about the "unofficial policy change" and the dates they informed you. That info helps higher management sort out who needs to hear what from higher management about managing the local store.

stay safe.

Ca Patriot

Remember that Walmart executives and lawyers were part of the semi secret meetings that the Obama administration had recently over proposed gun control measures.

There is no doubt in my mind that Walmart went there to score brownie points with the government and willfully adopted some of the administrations "suggestions" for store policy regarding open carry.

WalkingWolf

So far we have seen ONE documented incident, if Walmart was changing their policy they would for all stores. Just another Walmart rumor so far, nothing to see here.

sraacke

So far we have seen ONE documented incident, if Walmart was changing their policy they would for all stores. Just another Walmart rumor so far, nothing to see here.

Actually, I've had several reports to LOCAL telling us that Walmart management had asked OCers to leave stores. In at least 2 cases OCers refused to leave and were arrested.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?109531-Lawyer-needed-OCer-arrested-in-Monroe-La
and
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?112668-Man-Arrested-in-Lafayette-Walmart
We get contacted via our online form or our social media sites and I am noticing more cases of people asking "What is Walmarts policy because I was told to leave the store today?".
Then today I saw the thread in Bayoushooter and I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern.

WalkingWolf

I see one incident involving Walmart, and the person was not arrested for trespassing which he clearly did.

So far there is NOTHING to indicate Walmart has changed policy, NOTHING. This sounds much like the rumors thrown against Walmart in the past that all ended up being rumors and Bovine Scatology.

I wish people would stop taking a flurry and turning it into a snowstorm. It just looks foolish.

eye95

I have personal knowledge of only two events involving the ejection of an OCer. Both events were resolved in favor of the OCer against the manager. In one case, the manager was gone so fast that, despite WalMart not saying so, it is clear that the OC ejection either prompted the firing or was the last straw in a serious of misbehaviors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
AFAIK, wal-Mart, like Starbucks, does not want to get involved in the politics of RKBA/2A/self defense/<name your cause>. So they say they will follow whatever the law is where their store happens to be. That also involes dealing witrh folks who display inapproipriate behaviors such as trying to kill "associates" or even worse, customers. Too bad they do not apply the inappropriateness rule to what their customers wear into the store - but then what would we have instead of The People of Wal-Mart?

My very limited experience, all of which has been second hand, is that middle and upper management to not look kindly upon lower management who decides to start making up "rules" that are not in that big binder that came with the "Welcome, new store manager" packet.

I'm going to OC to my local Wal-Mart tomorrow to pick up some popcorn so I will have some to munch on while waiting to see what the OP/personally effected persons do about it all.

stay safe.

Gil223

The only change I've noticed in my local WalMart, is the absence of all "black rifles" over the last 2 months - which may be attributed to the general shortages in the supply chain. I have OC'd there, without being accosted by management. :) Pax...

sudden valley gunner

I have been asked to leave WalMart twice over the years.

The first was by someone pretending to be the manager, the real manager called me back and told me I am more than welcome to OC in his store and that WalMart follows state law, and the pretend manager got reprimanded, later he got fired over harassing another OC'er. (this is the story I heard from the other OC'er so is un verified if that is the real reason).

A few months ago they changed manager, this manager was anti gun. I told him he is wrong when he told me can set policy for his store, but I politely left my cart full of goods and called corporate The next day he called me back said he was wrong but he didn't want me to carry, I continue to carry there.

eye95

...A few months ago they changed manager, this manager was anti gun. I told him he is wrong when he told me can set policy for his store, but I politely left my cart full of goods and called corporate The next day he called me back said he was wrong but he didn't want me to carry, I continue to carry there.

I love it when people just quietly leave the cart or set down their potential purchases and leave. I am sure these anti-gunners are expecting an argument or some other behavior to justify their bigoted ideas about RKBA advocates. Just walking out makes them look like the asses that they are, especially when corporate tells them officially that they behaved like asses.

I don't get worked up about broad complaints against WalMart because there are so many specific events that corporate has handled well without fail that the broad complaints are just so much uninformed hooey.

<o>

FlyBoy276

...What are you hearing in your areas? Are OCers being told to leave Walmart stores?..
I've had an employee say something about my firearm only once (he asked ME if I was allowed to carry in the store, and if there was a sign on their door.. :uhoh: ) by a greeter that had wandered from his post after I walked in? That was just visit #46 of 326,532, though. I'm out of dish soap, so Ill swing by on my way home. My bet is on no one saying a word, as usual.

MKEgal

WalkingWolf said:
I was in Walmart this last Sunday, plus there was another OCer, incident free.
Wait, what?? "Incident-free"? Yougottabekiddingme.
Everyone Knows [TM] that if 2 people carrying loaded weapons (especially loaded hidden assault weapons [TM], or ones using high-capacity clips [TM]) are in the same place at the same time there will be Blood In The Streets [TM], or in this case, aisles.
Shootouts in produce.
Children dying in housewares.
People running screaming in terror.
[/sarcasm] [/snark] (for those who maybe weren't sure...) :rolleyes:
Did I miss any other cliches?

carolina guy

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

linerider69

I OC in my Walmart every day.Yes every day as does my wife she works across the street and caries on her lunch break or picking something up before or after work and me well i just drop in looking for ammo or shopping for me my family or the 75 year old lady from next door,was in today same old same old,always wave to the manager on duty no worries.There always has to be that one place that wants to start a trend my advice make a call get some facts let us know what you find out.

sudden valley gunner

Hey Rob, that's my walmart. I have not been in there much lately, but I will make a point of stopping by to look for some .22 ammo today.

Good luck! The only thing I've found there is 20 gauge which isn't locked up, for my gun I got at the Seattles gun destruction program that turned into a street gunshow......;)

I love it when people just quietly leave the cart or set down their potential purchases and leave. I am sure these anti-gunners are expecting an argument or some other behavior to justify their bigoted ideas about RKBA advocates. Just walking out makes them look like the asses that they are, especially when corporate tells them officially that they behaved like asses.

I don't get worked up about broad complaints against WalMart because there are so many specific events that corporate has handled well without fail that the broad complaints are just so much uninformed hooey.

<o>

It is very satisfying when you know you are right just to leave, was glad my other half who was unarmed (even though I worked for years to change that) was the one who said both times, oh then we'll buy our stuff at Fredd'ys and took the lead on leaving the goods.

I've had an employee say something about my firearm only once (he asked ME if I was allowed to carry in the store, and if there was a sign on their door.. :uhoh: ) by a greeter that had wandered from his post after I walked in? That was just visit #46 of 326,532, though. I'm out of dish soap, so Ill swing by on my way home. My bet is on no one saying a word, as usual.

We live in an area that is inundated by Canadians, (not that I don't mind, they are probably the only reason I am working right now) so we get many who come from a culture of strict government control, at the sports counter a young Canadian was looking at the knives and then noticed my gun and wide eyed said "You can carry that?", The older gentleman from Poland behind the counter says proudly "That's our right, welcome to America!". Beautiful moment. :lol:

Last edited: