• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs .45 vs rifle...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The good doctor's information fits best in the "Duh. Doesn't everybody know that?" category.

Someone said "Your pistol is what you use to fight back to your rifle."

Someone else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble, I would have brought my rifle, and all my friends with all their rifles."

Somebody else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble I would not have gone there." (The polite way of stating the Three Stupids rule.)

It's not a question of "what would you have if you could choose what to have?" It's a question of how well you can use what you've got. Personally I would not set out to take a bull elephant with a single-shot .22LR bolt action rifle. But quite a number of folks have in fact taken bull elephants with one .22LR shot.

stay safe.

eye95

Also, if the bull elephant is charging you and escape is not an option, do you not fire because all you have is a .22?

*throws down .22 in anger*

Damn! If only I had my 45-70 with me.

*stomp*

joanie

Youtube has alot of videos on comparing calibers. I noticed the "R" word being used in the title to this topic. so backing out slowly..

Last edited:

March Hare

You shouldn't have a bb gun, try not to commit suicide or disfigure yourself s kid.

That was kind of random...

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
“Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?”
“NO Ma’am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.”

-MH

joanie

Yep and margional at best...
.45 100 would be more adequate if you need to go that eara..

mine is a Winchester Safari in .416 Remington Mag, but damn those are expensive to buy and reload :D

Years ago, I almost bought a properly holstered handgun to carry openly,, ,,, 357 mag. At the time it was cheaper than what these 44 mags are selling for now. No idea what they are now or if they are available.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yep and margional at best...
.45 100 would be more adequate if you need to go that eara..

mine is a Winchester Safari in .416 Remington Mag, but damn those are expensive to buy and reload :D

I'll made you sad I picked up 500 .416 300gr Barnes bullets for a dime each does make loading my 416 Taylor a bit cheaper.

For bigger and dangerous stuff I brought some .416 350 X bullets on close out for 15 dollars a box.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It always comes down to "Run what ya brung."

Somebody's sig line is basically "Beware of an old man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

For any scenario where I'm asked what my caliber/platform choice would be, my answer is "I would choose not to be there in the first place. But since I am there, I'd choose to use use what I always (well, almost always) have.

stay safe,

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The good doctor's information fits best in the "Duh. Doesn't everybody know that?" category.

Someone said "Your pistol is what you use to fight back to your rifle."

Someone else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble, I would have brought my rifle, and all my friends with all their rifles."

Somebody else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble I would not have gone there." (The polite way of stating the Three Stupids rule.)

It's not a question of "what would you have if you could choose what to have?" It's a question of how well you can use what you've got. Personally I would not set out to take a bull elephant with a single-shot .22LR bolt action rifle. But quite a number of folks have in fact taken bull elephants with one .22LR shot.

stay safe.

Can you offer cites for this, please? I know of a few people who have taken elephants with a revolver .44 Magnum), but not a .22LR. I'd like to see that one.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can you offer cites for this, please? I know of a few people who have taken elephants with a revolver .44 Magnum), but not a .22LR. I'd like to see that one.

Search the Web elephant shot with 22 SEARCH enhanced by Google

About 17,600,000 results

OK, there are some about 22 elephants being shot, but you can weed them out fairly easily.

When you observe the taking of an elephant with a .22LR, be sure to wear your brown pants. And remember, elephants do not always stop with the first whatever has annoyed them - they may go after you to turn into toe jam just as readily as they go after the shooter.

stay safe.

Sheldon

I'll made you sad I picked up 500 .416 300gr Barnes bullets for a dime each does make loading my 416 Taylor a bit cheaper.

For bigger and dangerous stuff I brought some .416 350 X bullets on close out for 15 dollars a box.

Didn't get the deal on the 500 Barnes but did get a deal on 50 of the Barnes X from Midway, that is one nice turned brass bullet! Got the brass from them too.

We have a mostly reloading gun shop not far and have managed to pick up several 50 boxes of different types of .416 350 to 500 grain, even at starting a 450 will carve though a huge chunk of cherry like it's not there, despite my warnings the Son had to find that out the hard way....

JIC you all are currious... Box .416 Rem Mag ammo is in the $8.00 + a round catagory, when you can find them and no that one is not Obama's fault... Reloads $1.00 +...

Last edited:

Gil223

The big advantage of the 9mm over the .45 rifle is that the 9mm is lighter and can be openly carried in a holster and therefore belongs in this forum... as opposed to elephant guns. ;) Pax...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The big advantage of the 9mm over the .45 rifle is that the 9mm is lighter and can be openly carried in a holster and therefore belongs in this forum... as opposed to elephant guns. ;) Pax...

I must have missed the rule restricting caliber. Which one is it?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

We have a number of folks who daily OC stuff bigger than 9mm. Some of the folks OC handguns that could easily qualify as an elephant gun if it were not for the fact that all the elephants around here were killed off for the umbrella stands. It started out with "Guns Save Lives" and went to "Big Guns Save Lives" and now seems to be settling at "Bigger Guns Save Lives".

But then we also belive in the right to arm and keep bears.

the-right-to-arm-bears.jpg

stay safe.

eye95

We have a number of folks who daily OC stuff bigger than 9mm. Some of the folks OC handguns that could easily qualify as an elephant gun if it were not for the fact that all the elephants around here were killed off for the umbrella stands. It started out with "Guns Save Lives" and went to "Big Guns Save Lives" and now seems to be settling at "Bigger Guns Save Lives".

But then we also belive in the right to arm and keep bears.

View attachment 10521

stay safe.

I OC my .45 Dan Wesson full-sized 1911. When I choose to CC, it is my 9mm Glock 26.