• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felon in Possession Firearm question

CharleyMarbles

Yes all these things show poor judgement in character, lack of moral character, just being a shady person. I do not want this type of person carrying a gun. They make poor choices, I do not want a gun involved in any of their future poor choices. Past behavior is a very good prediction of future behavior.

REALY ! ! ! apperently you haven't read my thread about my situation there is a differance between makeing a poor decision. And being a criminal. And I might point out for you in all your superiorness that the people you should be concerned with are the ones who don't bother to ask questions. They are the ones who are out there CARRYING ILLEAGLY ! ! ! ! !

Have a nice day but please take the time to realize some of us are good people who made mistakes. We are NOT a threat and we to have FAMILY'S who DESERVE protecting ! ! ! ! ! !

P.S. I don't know how to link my thread so if anyone knows how feel free to link it here so the high and mighty can get a read on what can happen when you allow yourself to take actions that are NOT violent but still NOT leagle. Irreguardless of whether or not it makes perfect sence to most :)

Last edited:

kyleplusitunes

i have an idea, don't break the law, and you'll be able to carry a gun. Obviously if you are charged with a felony, you're doing SOMETHING wrong. a crime is a crime, don't commit them and you'll be fine.

pmcqueen37

REALY ! ! ! apperently you haven't read my thread about my situation there is a differance between makeing a poor decision. And being a criminal. And I might point out for you in all your superiorness that the people you should be concerned with are the ones who don't bother to ask questions. They are the ones who are out there CARRYING ILLEAGLY ! ! ! ! !

Have a nice day but please take the time to realize some of us are good people who made mistakes. We are NOT a threat and we to have FAMILY'S who DESERVE protecting ! ! ! ! ! !

P.S. I don't know how to link my thread so if anyone knows how feel free to link it here so the high and mighty can get a read on what can happen when you allow yourself to take actions that are NOT violent but still NOT leagle. Irreguardless of whether or not it makes perfect sence to most :)

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75893-hello-folks-new-guy-with-a-question

stainless1911

Banned
i have an idea, don't break the law, and you'll be able to carry a gun. Obviously if you are charged with a felony, you're doing SOMETHING wrong. a crime is a crime, don't commit them and you'll be fine.

Oh, like riding a bycicle with your children while OC without a CPL? Thats a great reason to bar someone from their God given rights, take them away from those kids (because they have committed such a heinous, dangerous act) until those kids are in their teens. All the while getting @$$ raped in prison, never getting a decent job, and never being able to defend themselves. Oh, and ruin them financially while we're at it. Right, good idea, wish I had thought of that law.

Oh, but if that person followed OCDO daily, and could qualify for, or could afford, or beleived in the CPL system, that kind of thing wont ever happen.

CharleyMarbles

Realy so it is your position that MY family doesn't deserve to be defended ???? Realy have you even been paying attention ????? It's about people who no matter what they did in the past if they are not protected by walls and fences with guards then they deserve the right to be able to defend them selves PERIOD ! ! ! !

Ok I'll explane it again THE POLICE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PROTECT YOU! ! ! ! ! And are not culpable if they don't !!!

Get it, some of us are out here DEFENCELESS! ! ! ! ! ! do you agree with that????????

ElectricianLU58

remember, not everyone is going to see it your way.

there were 0 murders between 2001 and 2008, only 9 rapes and 51 assaults in clio.

your neighbors might be more worried about you, being a felon, having a gun than the danger your family is in. any city around here would love such crime statistics.

when you can legally get your felony expunged, do it. as far as i know, you will then be allowed to have a firearm.

stainless1911

Banned
We have a right to both keep and to bear arms. I dont recal reading anywhere in the constitution, about a neighbors right to be worried, or how that right takes priority over the RKBA.

Frankly, when Im out OCing, if someone's afraid, I really don't give a f***.

kyleplusitunes

I don't believe felons should have firearms, I've stated that fact many times, and I catch a lot of flack for it, however.

If you are a felon and you planned on having a family, maybe you should have weighed that fact before you committed said felony.

Maybe there are a few felonies that should be reclassified, however, the huge majority of felons should not have them.

stainless1911

Banned
Well, I guess we will agree on some things, and disagree on others. On one hand, I want to see only violent convictions in the most extreme circumstances temporarily keep someone from their rights, but on the other hand, (and the veiw I choose), is that if a person cant be trusted with a gun, then they don't need to be out among us.

CharleyMarbles

I don't believe felons should have firearms, I've stated that fact many times, and I catch a lot of flack for it, however.

If you are a felon and you planned on having a family, maybe you should have weighed that fact before you committed said felony.

Maybe there are a few felonies that should be reclassified, however, the huge majority of felons should not have them.

OK so if I don't have a family you don't think I am deserving of the right to protect MYSELF????
What gives you the right to decide who is deserving of BASIC human rights???
I did my time for the crime I commited if the powers that be feel I am still a danger to society then they should have kept me in jail where at least I had someone to hold culpable if my security was compromised. As it stands now I can not only NOT adquitly protect myself but I have no recorse if the LEO's are not able to protect me! ! ! ! ! !
I know your going to say I should have thought of that before commiting the crime but that doesn't correct the problem that I AM a Citizen of this country and should be afforded adquit protection either of my own accord or from the government who doesn't have any problem takeing MY money to keep me a serf. ! ! !

PT111

I am against the two classification system of crimes that we have now, that of misdemeanors and felonies. I think that a crime is a crime and each penalty should stand on its own with the sentencing being a part of whether or not you have your rights restored. I do not go along with this thought that if a person is walking the streets they should have all their rights restored but rather is should be part of what crime was committed and part of the entire process. As for this paying their debt to society that is BS to me. When they pay their debt to society and to those they harmed then they can have thier rights restored. You drive drunk, cripple someone, serve 10 years and you may have sereved your debt to society but that person you put into a wheel chair is unable to defend themselves so why should you be able to. When you fully restore those you have harmed then we can talk about having your rights restored. White collar crimes wipe out the savings of people ruining their lives, restore them and them we talk.

stainless1911

Banned
I get what you are saying PT, and I mostly agree, but certain parts of the punishments have a time limit, and others dont. Thats part of paying the debt. I dont think that anyone should be denied the RKBA unless they cant be trusted with that right, in such case, imprisonment should still be paid towards that debt. There are other aspects that can be applied to a punishment until the "debt" is paid, but some things, like paralysis cannot be repaid. As far as people in wheelchairs not being able to protect themselves, that's a different argument. Here in Michigan, you need to be able to qualify for, and afford a CPL if you live in a wheelchair, because the wheelchair is considered a vehicle, and a CPL is required to posses a firearm in a vehicle.

fozzy71

I will ask this here, instead of a new thread:

A friend of mine has a misdemeanor domestic violence charge from a few years ago and his lawyer told him he would have to have it expunged before he could get a LTP a handgun.

Is it illegal for me to have a gun in my possession if I am riding with him in his vehicle? If we went to his (large) private property and were target practicing with my handguns, would it be technically illegal for him to shoot my pistols?

fozzy71

Thank you. That is pretty much what I figured, and am fairly confident there isn't any reason I can't let him shoot my gun on his property, but I would like to be more confident in my assumption before I actually do it. ;)

He has a lot of (farm) land so the chances of a LEO interaction are very slim, but I want to make sure I have a fair understanding of the law before I do it, just in case.

wrightme

Thank you. That is pretty much what I figured, and am fairly confident there isn't any reason I can't let him shoot my gun on his property, but I would like to be more confident in my assumption before I actually do it. ;)

He has a lot of (farm) land so the chances of a LEO interaction are very slim, but I want to make sure I have a fair understanding of the law before I do it, just in case.
IMHO, if it is in his hand, and he is shooting it, he is "possessing" it.