• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House GOP Lists $2.5 Trillion in Spending Cuts

Lokster

Will they use these cuts as a give and take for majority support of raising the debt ceiling? That will be the real test. Let's not kid ourselves here, this should barely scratch the surface in terms of legitimate cuts. The ultimate goal for the GOP needs to be returning the Federal government to it's Constitutional limits, not making some cuts here and there. It's too bad they aren't more vocal about that.

rodbender

The ultimate goal for the GOP needs to be returning the Federal government to it's Constitutional limits, not making some cuts here and there. It's too bad they aren't more vocal about that.

You are joking, right? You are kidding around, right? Give me break. They ain't gonna do it.

Like I've said in the past, the democrats want all the power they can grab, cost be damned.

The republicans want the same power, they just don't want to pay as much for it.

Lokster

Was I trying to make a joke, no.

Am I being unreasonably optimistic, probably; but so what.

Go ahead and take your break, but get your ass back to work right after that! :lol:

Beretta92FSLady

This cost-saving thing is going to screw up Glenn Becks career--he ain't going to have anything to b*tch about anymore.

The Republicans aren't going to do crap. They aren't going to touch health care, other than symbolic BS. They aren't going to give themselves a cut in pay. OMG, all of you Republicans, clinging to your Republican "representatives." Unless you are an insurance company or some big business, you aren't even on their radar, not now, not ever.

END_THE_FED

Like the OP said, an ok start but much more needs to be done.

If they truly want to address the spending problem, then big cuts have to be made to Social Security, Medicare/medicaid, and Military spending.
Also entire departments should be on the chopping block. We don't need a scalpel to cut the federal budget;we need to use a meat clever.

In less time then it took me to post this the government went into debt by another 5 million or so.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Go to the above link and look at the current National Debt and write the number down. Then go have lunch, watch some tv or whatever and come back a few hours later and take a look at the new number.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
This cost-saving thing is going to screw up Glenn Becks career--he ain't going to have anything to b*tch about anymore.

The Republicans aren't going to do crap. They aren't going to touch health care, other than symbolic BS. They aren't going to give themselves a cut in pay. OMG, all of you Republicans, clinging to your Republican "representatives." Unless you are an insurance company or some big business, you aren't even on their radar, not now, not ever.

Who are you calling Republican?! :(

Lokster

Let's get real here. the "tea party" is Republican...well 80%-or-so. Don't go acting like the "tea party" is some 3rd party.

Beretta92FSLady, you may not want to go acting like every individual who chooses to affiliate themselves with the Republican party is a rotten egg. I know plenty of people who are working their butt off in that party to try to get it back on track and trying to hold their elected reps accountable. Their hard work has earned some respect from me. Maybe you work just as hard to advocate whatever it is you deem important, but might I make a suggestion that if individualism is high on your list you may want to consider not being so quick to make such general statements.

I don't see any logical reason to start bashing parties.

Beretta92FSLady

Beretta92FSLady, you may not want to go acting like every individual who chooses to affiliate themselves with the Republican party is a rotten egg. I know plenty of people who are working their butt off in that party to try to get it back on track and trying to hold their elected reps accountable. Their hard work has earned some respect from me. Maybe you work just as hard to advocate whatever it is you deem important, but might I make a suggestion that if individualism is high on your list you may want to consider not being so quick to make such general statements.

I don't see any logical reason to start bashing parties.

A little presumptuousness on your part? Not every Republican or those who choose to affiliate themselves with Republicans are rotten eggs. I don't recall every writing a statement like that.

Get us back on track to what, and from where, exactly? We have always been bound and determined to hold our representatives "accountable." Accountable for what, I am not always sure. Take so-called government control of healthcare--actually, it is not government controlled or ran, private insurance companies are still behind the wheel. Preident Obama pulling out of Iraq, do we need to get back on track to 150k+ troops in that god-forsaken country? Wait, you might be talking about the tax cuts that Obama just signed back into law? Again, what do we need to get back on track to, and what have we jumped track from?

Individualism is important, but there should be a line drawn at some point. America is too individualistic, IMO.

I do see a logical reason to "bash" a party. I have deemed the policies of one party to be worse than the policies of another. I do not agree with the policies of a particular party, so I engage in what some would call bashing, but what I would call criticism.

Back to the OT: The link was packed with a bunch of items that are not explained what they are, why they are in the budget, and what will happen if they are removed. Once again, just a bunch of generalized political BS.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Republicans? Democrats? Both are just two wings of the same party: The Keep Us in Power Party. We should just call it the Fedgov Party, or the Organized Crime Party--the OCP.

I suspect they will do just enough to keep the US from defaulting on its debt; and then back to business as usual, just a little more cautiously--maybe.

As long as the Federal Reserve and other US Treasuries purchasers are willing to finance the fedgov, the fedgov will keep spending. From their perspective, why should they stop? Why not rake in as much as they can personally in pay, perks, and pension? If things are falling apart, isn't it so much better to still be a member of the ruling elite, than just a an average Joe trying to stay afloat amidst economic chaos?

Keep an eye on the fiscal scene. Some state governments are already in dire situations, a few municipalities are cutting way back, a few have even stopped paying pensions. That's bad. Really, really bad.

ETA: Our biggest national security threat is the fedgov and the Federal Reserve. If the economic disaster they've created is not a national security threat, nothing is.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I suspect they will do just enough to keep the US from defaulting on its debt; and then back to business as usual, just a little more cautiously--maybe

Keep an eye on the fiscal scene. Some state governments are already in dire situations, a few municipalities are cutting way back, a few have even stopped paying pensions. That's bad. Really, really bad.

ETA: Our biggest national security threat is the fedgov and the Federal Reserve. If the economic disaster they've created is not a national security threat, nothing is.

They will do enough, but the US is going to default on its debt. Yes, they will be back to business as usual.

Congress is trying to put together something that will allow states to file for bankruptcy...a big sign that we are royally F-d.

Ironically, I think one of our biggest national security threats is the amount of money we spend on our military every year. Economic disaster--that we have been in for three years--is a national security threat.

Rodbender: Go outside and play. Let the grown-ups talk here.

Lokster

A little presumptuousness on your part? Not every Republican or those who choose to affiliate themselves with Republicans are rotten eggs. I don't recall every writing a statement like that.

Not really. It started to seem like that's where the thread was going after your original comments. That's what I was trying to avoid. I don't believe it's very production to make general statements against the GOP as a whole when there is an element in the mix that is trying or at least talking about returning to Constitutional limits on the fed.

Get us back on track to what, and from where, exactly? We have always been bound and determined to hold our representatives "accountable." Accountable for what, I am not always sure. Take so-called government control of healthcare--actually, it is not government controlled or ran, private insurance companies are still behind the wheel. Preident Obama pulling out of Iraq, do we need to get back on track to 150k+ troops in that god-forsaken country? Wait, you might be talking about the tax cuts that Obama just signed back into law? Again, what do we need to get back on track to, and what have we jumped track from?

If you read my first post in this thread you would have had a better idea of what I meant.

I do see a logical reason to "bash" a party. I have deemed the policies of one party to be worse than the policies of another. I do not agree with the policies of a particular party, so I engage in what some would call bashing, but what I would call criticism.

Bashing, criticism or what have you might be better directed at specific politicians rather than an entire party. I can see that as being helpful.

Lokster

Ironically, I think one of our biggest national security threats is the amount of money we spend on our military every year. Economic disaster--that we have been in for three years--is a national security threat.

Not that it really matters because everyone agrees that there are substantial fiscal problems, but how do you rationalize that statement when entitlement spending is well over twice the amount of defense spending?

Beretta92FSLady

Not that it really matters because everyone agrees that there are substantial fiscal problems, but how do you rationalize that statement when entitlement spending is well over twice the amount of defense spending?

Cute little diversion tactic. Point out military spending, and you respond by using a general term "entitlement spending." Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "entitlement spending."

Beretta92FSLady

:shocker:I have found one more item (there are few items) that the "tea party (R)" supports which I also support.

""The widely held sentiment among members is that every item in the budget, including military spending and foreign aid, must be on the table," said Mark Meckler, co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots. "It is time to get serious about preserving the country for our posterity. The mentality that certain programs are 'off the table' must be taken off the table.""

It gets even better...

"Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, has proposed cutting total government spending by $153 billion, including deep reductions in defense and elimination of several [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]weapons [COLOR=#366388 ! important]programs[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Brady called it a "down payment" on getting the country's finances in order.
In an unusual political pairing, liberal Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, a libertarian and former Republican presidential candidate, have joined forces in pushing for substantial reductions in the defense budget, including closing some of the 600-plus military bases overseas."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110123/ap_on_re_us/us_tea_party_defense_cuts

Last edited:

Lokster

I think most tea party people agree that across the board cuts are necessary and IMO the best way to start to decrease spending. It would make it more difficult for people to complain when every special interest group is taking a hit of some kind.

Beretta92FSLady-

It was not my intention to come off as argumentative in my former posts. I am registered as a republican and loosely affiliated with the party. I was hesitant to involve myself at first because there is much I am in disagreement on with what seems like a majority in the party. However I think libertarians and unaffiliated liberty minded individuals are missing a good opportunity when they simply write off the party as useless (not saying that's you). In my limited experience I have found that since people's lives are becoming more personally affected than ever before by the growth of government, more and more people are wanting to become involved and educate themselves about the proper (Constitutional) role of government, supply side economics, state's rights etc...and as such I see an opportunity to start to get government off our backs. Will it take something huge, ie financial collapse, to wake up the majority; probably, but the more people who understand these issues the better IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLAg8a0vCZQ

Last edited: