• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Support... To be elected?

Hum727

I'm curious if it is possible for me to have a chance to be elected. (as Senator)

I'm a college student (mechanical engineering) (im a thinker :lol:)

I've been known to win debates against people 3x my age. People that know me warn people that dont not to start a debate with me cause they wont win.

i never pick a fight unless i have enough ammunition to destroy the opposition.

I'm extremely pro constitution and think any one who isn't needs a good talking to.

what i want to know is if it is possible to find support. I mean take advantage of as many free advertising oppertunitys as possible. Get the young people on our side using facebook and youtube. The older people are harder to reach but there has to be a way.

AM I Crazy?

(one fault as you may have realized.... not the best at spelling... math person)

brboyer

I'm curious if it is possible for me to have a chance to be elected. (as Senator)

I've been known to win debates against people 3x my age. People that know me warn people that dont not to start a debate with me cause they wont win.

I'm extremely pro constitution and think any one who isn't needs a good talking to.

what i want to know is if it is possible to find support. I mean take advantage of as many free advertising oppertunitys as possible. Get the young people on our side using facebook and youtube. The older people are harder to reach but there has to be a way.

AM I Crazy?

(one fault as you may have realized.... not the best at spelling... math person)

Are you able to raise anywhere between $200,000 and a couple million depending on House or Senate, which district, opponents, etc.?

mister45

AM I Crazy?

Are You RICH, Do you personally know Obama? Then if the last two don't apply, Then don't apply... Cause you have a snow balls chance in He**... Sorry but only the RICH or the ones that are directly connected can win... Things have always been that way...

Hum727

in other words

so the system is as broken as everyone claims.

that "the people" dont really get to elect some one who represents them. They only get to elect the lesser of 2 evils.

how can a group of 40 upper class people represent a population that is made up of primarily middle and lower class?

How can the government claim to serve the people if the majority of people have no say?

Its this elitist BS that is destroying this country!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Honestly being elected may not be as difficult as some people will tell you. With the right positions on the issues and opponents who are less than ideal, campaign funds can be raised. It's all about picking your time and being ready and able to run.

Many legislators are rather wealthy because most people can't afford to take a $30,000 per year job as a state senator or rep and still support their family.

The low pay for Florida State legislators and heavy demands on their time make it a difficult proposition for many people who would like to serve. Some companies give their employees the time they need to serve but most legislators are business owners who can set their own schedule.

Last edited:

Willm3053

Raising funds

Don't know if this is correct or not, but according to his guy http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2011/04/florida-now-has-over-800000-concealed.html tried looking around in the myflorida website but no luck, there are over 800k permit holders, coming up with the money shouldn't be hard at all, just need to find the right guy or gal to run. With all of us contributing it should be an easy win to get one of us in there.

Willm3053

Well, you know the money will not be forked up that easy. It is going to be well regulated, treasury, secretary etc....

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
there are over 800k permit holders, coming up with the money shouldn't be hard at all

What you're failing to account for is that these people are heavy on feeling like special only ones and not actually thinking through how useless a concealed gun really is. Their ego is stroked. They love it. They enjoy turning their nose up at the OC idea without ever giving it thought. Just like all the badged and uniformed only ones who lobbied against SB234.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
They key here is the way money can be raised.

There is no requirement that donations for a campaign come from within your district's physical borders. We have access to an entire nation of OCers on this forum.... Do the math. Individual donation limits mean nothing. The money isn't the problem. We've got people here from every state that would dump a few bucks in your campaign coffers. You could nearly buy the seat and overwhelmingly out-spend your competitors.

But will you convince a majority of Floridians that being helpless, hateful and stupid is a bad idea? No. It's their way of life. They know nothing else.

j4l

In this day and age, with the internet and all manner of media available (facebook/youtube/podcasts.etc.) there's no real reason a campaign needs to cost anything like as much as some have mentioned. Especially for a State-level election for a district.
For Gov. or some national-level election,maybe.

One thing you might be able to call upon is prog-gun/pro-oc volunteers with skills in printing,media,web-design,etc. Folks willing to donate or barter such services towards such a campaign.Count me in for whatever I can offer, if we get any serious candidates,for one. But keep it grass-roots, and keep it guerilla. The avg. working joe voter can relate to such methods, I'd think,more than fancy- society/$500 per plate hob-nobs with the elitists,anyway.

Even more ideal, work up a candidate-even 2 if possible-to oppose every single sitting representative currently in office.State-Wide, rather than just one or two districts.
Even if only one or two manage to get elected,or get close to being so,imagine the message that sends to those in office now, the Florida citizenry,the NRA, the Retail Federation and the FSA....

77zach

In this day and age, with the internet and all manner of media available (facebook/youtube/podcasts.etc.) there's no real reason a campaign needs to cost anything like as much as some have mentioned. Especially for a State-level election for a district.

One thing you might be able to call upon is prog-gun/pro-oc volunteers with skills in printing,media,web-design,etc. Folks willing to donate or barter such services towards such a campaign.Count me in for whatever I can offer, if we get any serious candidates,for one. But keep it grass-roots, and keep it guerilla. The avg. working joe voter can relate to such methods, I'd think,more than fancy- society/$500 per plate hob-nobs with the elitists,anyway.

Even more ideal, work up a candidate-even 2 if possible-to oppose every single sitting representative currently in office.State-Wide, rather than just one or two districts.
Even if only one or two manage to get elected,or get close to being so,imagine the message that sends to those in office now, the Florida citizenry,the NRA, the Retail Federation and the FSA....

To ensure victories, we can use people that we already have on deck. This is my state rep:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4200&SessionId=66

Lost to Dean for the Senate republican nomination, but not by much. We could push him in next time. I told him about the OC bill, asked him to sign onto it and he said he would. He even gave a 2 minute speech about it in committee and didn't once mention "accidental exposure." He said it was purely about our rights being chilled and "about control". Pretty hardcore. He's pretty good on all issues and is a nice man who adopts disabled kids.

My point is there are some REALLY good Reps who would like to run for senator. Let's get em in there. We face the same situation in next year. I think we can convince one lousy senator to change. If not, in 2013 we push two good reps in we don't have to worry.

j4l

To ensure victories, we can use people that we already have on deck. This is my state rep:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4200&SessionId=66

Lost to Dean for the Senate republican nomination, but not by much. We could push him in next time. I told him about the OC bill, asked him to sign onto it and he said he would. He even gave a 2 minute speech about it in committee and didn't once mention "accidental exposure." He said it was purely about our rights being chilled and "about control". Pretty hardcore. He's pretty good on all issues and is a nice man who adopts disabled kids.

My point is there are some REALLY good Reps who would like to run for senator. Let's get em in there. We face the same situation in next year. I think we can convince one lousy senator to change. If not, in 2013 we push two good reps in we don't have to worry.

On the face of it,seems he might be ok.But-is all for carrying for US? or him/them?

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=45224

Last edited:

j4l

Oh no, he values gun freedom. He pushed through castle doctrine and state forest/park carry in 2006.

All well and good, but at the end of the day, is he going to vote for/represent the citizens, or vote in favor making exceptions for elected officials,while letting the citizens rot. What we need/want is someone who's actually going to carry out what the voters want-not just tell us what we want to hear,and then do a 180 on us at the last minute like we just had happen.

Sorry,but unless/until shown otherwise, my take on those currently in power is skeptical in the extreme now.We've heard way too much of this "oh yeah,sure,we'll support Bill X" and then sit back and watch-without opposing-as others amend it to something other than Bill X. Sorry, but to me, that's just as bad as the asshat that ammends it.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

Count me in too. I'm an attorney with campaign knowledge, and I know a few of the right folks with tech knowledge who would be more than willing to get in on thensocial media act for a worthy candidate.

Last edited: