• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Meet & Greet in Huntington WV.

neuroblades

I've noticed that various and sundry groups and folks have done M&G's but all of them seem to be too far away for those of us in the Eastern Kentucky region so I'm pitching the idea of a Meet & Greet in the Huntington WV area for those of us in Eastern KY & Western WV areas. I've been trying to drum up some interest in the WV forum with seemingly little interest thus far. I had thought about doing this at the Golden Corral in Huntington, off the 29th St. exit. Being that the holiday seasons are upon us though, I was thinking about doing this around the middle of January. By then, everyone should be settled down from the holidays and should be relatively stable financially as well. *LOL*

So, if there are any Kentuckians that are interested in this idea, let's hear it. :)

09jisaac

I've noticed that various and sundry groups and folks have done M&G's but all of them seem to be too far away for those of us in the Eastern Kentucky region so I'm pitching the idea of a Meet & Greet in the Huntington WV area for those of us in Eastern KY & Western WV areas. I've been trying to drum up some interest in the WV forum with seemingly little interest thus far. I had thought about doing this at the Golden Corral in Huntington, off the 29th St. exit. Being that the holiday seasons are upon us though, I was thinking about doing this around the middle of January. By then, everyone should be settled down from the holidays and should be relatively stable financially as well. *LOL*

So, if there are any Kentuckians that are interested in this idea, let's hear it. :)

I vote it should be in Kentucky. I can't legally carry in WV since I don't have my KY CCW but I do turn the big 21 the 12th.

neuroblades

I had thought about trying to do it in Kentucky but there seems to be little interest here to go to or attend one and I figured that to get more folks, I'd pitch the idea in the Huntington area but that seem to be drawing much interest either.

Why would you need a CCDW to carry in WV? WV is an OC state.

09jisaac

I had thought about trying to do it in Kentucky but there seems to be little interest here to go to or attend one and I figured that to get more folks, I'd pitch the idea in the Huntington area but that seem to be drawing much interest either.

Why would you need a CCDW to carry in WV? WV is an OC state.

I really don't know where I got that info at. But I didn't bother looking around too much because I don't go to WV that often anyways.

neuroblades

I really don't know where I got that info at. But I didn't bother looking around too much because I don't go to WV that often anyways.

We had a thread running about OC in WV a few weeks ago.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97243-OC-In-West-Virginia

The last poster had tracked down the info that clarified the issue.

You can read the misinformation in the AG's WV Firearms Law booklet at:

http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf

Look on page 4, under the heading "Licensed to Carry a Concealed Handgun", look in the last paragraph. This is in error based upon the WV State Police statement found here:

http://www.statepolice.wv.gov/about/Pages/LegalDivisionFAQs.aspx

Look under the heading "Weapons - Concealed Carry Permits", question #3, 2nd sentence. It states, "West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun".

West Virginia is listed as an Open Carry state by all the source on this but thanks to the erroneous information on the AG's booklet, a great many people have opted to just not carry and left themselves at risk. Evem the media has admitted that OC is legal in WV back during that nasty incident in Billy Bob's pizza place some months back when 3 kids in the play area found a loaded pistol and while messing with it, it went off! Luckily no one was hurt or killed. The people raged and ranted but it was brought to light that OC was legal and while responsible gun owners voiced their concern and shock in the fact that someone would be so reckelss and dangerous as to leave or misplace their weapon in such a place, we were very quick to make it known that while it was horrible and we were all glad that no one was hurt or killed, it was still nonetheless legal to OC in WV.

Here's the link to the original news story: http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/125116924.html

hermannr

The WV AG opinion is not law, what is writen in the statutes IS law, an OC is legal in WV, and not just for WV citizens

neuroblades

OK, I've recently encountered a seemingly renewed interest in the idea of a Meet & Greet for the Eastern Kentucky region to be held in the Huntington WV area so we can hopefully draw a larger group than if we just tried having one in East Kentucky.

Tentatively, we'll be meeting at Golden Corral, off the 29th Street exit of I-64. I'm figuring that we might do this around the middle of January, possibly the 14th or 21st.

Johnburns15

Thatll be a bit of a drive from Lexington lol. But I can make it the 21st. The 14th I'm not so sure about. But keep me updated on a date (if the 14th, I'll see what strings I can pull to get off work lol)

ArmedSociety

I will be there and be bringing one other West Virginian with me.

Neuroblades, have you posted this on the WVCDL Facebook page?

neuroblades

I will be there and be bringing one other West Virginian with me.

Neuroblades, have you posted this on the WVCDL Facebook page?

Yes, I believe I have but I might be mistaken. If you'd like to kick it up over there, it would be great. I know that I had to apply for membership to their page on Facebook and in all the hoopla that's been going on here locally, I might've forgotten to post it once I got accepted.

neuroblades

Glad to see....

I've really glad to see this things finally start to gain some wings! *LOL* I had nearly thought the idea was dead in the water but thanks to all you folks out there, it looks asthought this thinmg might really happen now.

Jamuary the 14th was a tentative date but I'm thinking that the 21st might be better from those I've heard from.

Thus far we have this much:

January 21st, Golden Corral off the 29th St. exit of I-64.

We haven't pinned down a certain time though and I'd like to hear from you folks. I know I've read that we have someone in the Lexington area that's interested so I'm thinking that earlier in the day, rather than later might be best. What do you folks think?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Huntington is only 10 minutes from Ashland, and being as Ky law is much more lax than WV's, couldn't we do this in Ashland? I know if we do this is Huntington, we will probably deal with pigheaded leo's, just like I have in the past. JMO, thought I'd throw this out here, I believe we wouldn't catch any flak with a bunch of people armed here in Boyd county. If nobody agrees, then have you contacted golden corral about this? If a bunch of folks show up armed, wouldn't want management kicking us out and ruining the day?

neuroblades

Huntington is only 10 minutes from Ashland, and being as Ky law is much more lax than WV's, couldn't we do this in Ashland? I know if we do this is Huntington, we will probably deal with pigheaded leo's, just like I have in the past. JMO, thought I'd throw this out here, I believe we wouldn't catch any flak with a bunch of people armed here in Boyd county. If nobody agrees, then have you contacted golden corral about this? If a bunch of folks show up armed, wouldn't want management kicking us out and ruining the day?

Glockster, I'd love to have it in Ashland because then we'd be able to actually keep it in Kentucky and I've thought very seriously about revising it for this reason. I know that I'd posted this M&G on the WVCDL facebook page to see if we could get more folks interested, I'd hate to do this and only have 3 people show up. *LOL*

Within 24 of posting tot he WVCDL FB page, they posted one for the saw venue just 7 days later! *shaking my head* I was rather put off by this but after cooling down about it I thought about perhaps just jumping on their bandwagon but they haven't replied to my request about joining together on the 28th.

So, it's been about 3, maybe 4 days and still no word from them so I've been thinking about just doing this in Ashalnd and keeping it in the Commonwealth proper. So, what does everyone else think, shall we just do it in Ashalnd instead? It would be closer for all concerned.

If we move this to Ashalnd, would you like to be our "forward man" on the ground and approach GC about this? :)

neuroblades

Wouldn't mind one bit, just let me know what the folks from the east reply with.

Sounds great to me, Glockster. Talk to Golden Corral in Ashalnd and see about thw 21st or the 28th. Say about 12 noon? Everyone that's posted seemingly is up for it as long as we can set it up for not too early in the day and give them a couple weeks heads-up.

WVCDL doesn't seem too interested in us so we'll just over look them for now at least.

Last edited: